How to make a chai latte from the comfort of your home
Get ready to snuggle up on the couch with a good book and a handmade chai latte.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Chai latte takes the flavours from the Indian spiced tea called Masala Chai and combines them with the frothy steamed milk found in a standard latte.
While there is no universal spice blend, there are some common flavours found in a chai latte, such as cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, star anise and cloves.
This drink is most commonly enjoyed hot, but it can easily be made iced, so it's perfect for a hot summer's day.
Keep on reading to see how you can make your own at home.
How to make a chai latte at home
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cardamom pods (these needs to be smashed open to get the seeds)
- 4 cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 2cm piece of ginger, sliced
- 3 black teabags
- 500mL whole milk (or your preferred alternative)
- 1-2tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch cinnamon to serve
- Toast all the spices in a dry frying pan until fragrant. Put them, the ginger and the teabags into a teapot with 500mL of freshly boiled water. Leave this to infuse for 10 minutes.
- While the tea is infusing, heat the milk with the brown sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Once lightly steaming, froth the top with a whisk to create some foam.
- Strain the tea between four mugs, then pour in the milk, keeping the froth back. Stir to combine. Top each latte with a touch of the milk foam and dust with cinnamon to serve.
Our favourite DIY kits to help you along the way
You can buy these ingredients from your local supermarket, or you can purchase a DIY kit to use at home. Brands like TeaEsk have curated a package of everything you need to make a chai latte at home – complete with the necessary ingredients and equipment.
Chai Tea Latte Powder
Artisan Sticky Chai Starter Kit
Hard to Find
Indian Chai Gift Pack
Four Sigmatic, Chai Latte, Mushroom Mix, 10 Packets
Chai Latte Hamper
DIY Chai Blending Kit
Main image: Getty Images
Deals and discounts:
More guides on Finder
Sydney’s best tea rooms: Where to have a cup of tea
Sydney might be a city of coffee-loving individuals, but for those of us favouring tea, here's where to get it.
Ask an Expert