Is your New Year’s resolution to shed a few unwanted kilos? Follow these handy weight-loss tips to reach your goal as quickly and easily as possible.
Losing weight is one of the most popular New Year’s resolutions. You should bear in mind that your weight-loss plan needs to be a long-term solution and that it necessitates a change in lifestyle. Keep away from trendy diets which promise easy weight loss instantly but may not be viable for a long period.
What tools can help you plan a successful New Year’s resolution?
Best online retailers to help you lose weight
To help you along the way, many retailers offer a range of fitness, diet and motivational products. finder.com.au has put together a selection of some of the best retailers from the world wide web, so take advantage of our promo codes to take advantage of some huge savings.
Tips to lose weight
Achieving your New Year’s resolution of losing weight will also depend on the behaviour that you will have to incorporate in your daily routine. Here are a few easy tips to help you lose weight:
- Drink right. Stay away from soft drinks as they contain a lot of sugar and sodium. At breakfast you may want to drink some juice, but throughout the day you should drink plenty of water.
- One step at a time. Clip a pedometer to your belt and plan to take an extra 1000 steps a day. On average, inactive people take only 2000 to 3000 steps a day. Adding steps will help you sustain your present weight and stop gaining weight, but putting in more than the average steps will help you lose weight.
- Meal plans. Instead of three big meals, eat five or six small meals or snacks a day. Research shows that when people eat parts of their morning meal at intervals over five hours, they end up eating almost 30 percent fewer calories at lunch than when they ate a single breakfast. Other studies have revealed that even if you eat the same number of calories dispensed this way, your body discharges less insulin, which maintains blood sugar stability and aids in regulating hunger.
- Get an online weight-loss buddy. One study showed that online weight-loss buddies help you maintain your weight loss.
- Reduce your portions. Many studies have shown that the less food put in front of you, the less you’ll eat. On the other hand, the more food in front of you, the more you’ll eat in spite of how hungry you are. Instead of using regular dinner plates, try serving your main course on salad plates. Serve your dinner restaurant style (food on plates) rather than family style (food served in bowls and on platters on the table). This means that when your plate is empty, you’re finished and there’s less chance of getting more.
- Eat more vegetables. Eating water-rich foods such as zucchini, tomatoes and cucumbers during meals reduces your overall calorie consumption. Other water-rich foods include soups and salads.
- Eat one less biscuit a day. Or consume one less can of regular soda, or one less glass of orange juice, or three fewer bites of a fast-food hamburger. Doing any of these saves you about 100 calories a day.
- Keep away from white foods. Consuming large amounts of carbohydrates from white flour and sugar can lead to weight gain. While evading sugar, white rice and white flour, you should eat plenty of wholegrain breads and brown rice.
- Put non-fat powdered milk in coffee. You get the nutritional advantages of skim milk, which is rich in calcium and low in calories and powdered milk doesn’t dilute coffee the way skim milk does.
- Eat cereal for breakfast five days a week. Research shows that people who eat cereal for breakfast daily are considerably less likely to be obese and have diabetes than those who don’t. They also consume more fibre and calcium and less fat than those who eat other breakfast foods.
- Eat most of your meals at home. You’re likely to eat more high-fat, high-calorie foods when you eat out than at home.
- Eat only when you are hungry. It’s surprising how frequently we eat out of boredom, nervousness, habit or frustration. Many of us, in fact, cannot recall what physical hunger feels like. For your next meal, wait until your stomach is rumbling before you reach for food.
- Treat yourself with fat-releasing foods. This activity will help keep you from feeling denied a tasty treat every now and then. Use foods such as honey, eggs, part-skim ricotta cheese, dark chocolate etc.