How to Get Away with Murder creator joins the Netflix family
A multi-year deal will see brand new series created exclusively for Netflix.
Shonda Rhimes, the writer and producer known for popular series like Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder, has left her home on America's ABC network for the streaming shores of Netflix.
In a multi-year deal with the streaming service, Rhimes and her Shondaland production company will create new series and work on original projects exclusive to Netflix. Betsy Beers, Rhimes's long-time production partner, is joining Rhimes in making the leap to Netflix.
"Starting today, we are thrilled to begin creating new Shondaland stories with Netflix," said Rhimes. "Everyone at Shondaland is honoured to expand both our audience and our creative identity with Ted and the entire team at Netflix."
This partnership with Rhimes comes at a crucial time for Netflix, given recent alarm regarding Disney pulling its movies from the streaming service. With other big names like David Letterman and Kathy Bates throwing their support behind Netflix, though, the service still has plenty going for it.
- New on Netflix Australia and Stan in June 2018: Farewell Sense8, we hardly know youse
- Where to watch Fahrenheit 451 online in Australia
- The Fab Five are coming to Sydney to celebrate Queer Eye Season 2
- Where to watch the 2018 UEFA Champions League Final online in Australia
- Gem Finder: Happy! Is the most bonkers show you’ll binge this year