The tips you need to score a more luxurious cabin for nothing with a cruise upgrade.
Bought an inside cabin but wishing you could get a room with a view instead for no extra cost? Sounds like a dream but there is a reality behind it.
Cruise cabin upgrades can happen, and while sometimes it’s luck of the draw, other times there are certain things you can do to increase your chances of being upgraded to that enviable balcony stateroom.
While the below tips aren’t guaranteed to work, it certainly can’t hurt to try them.
Top tips to score a cruise upgrade
1. Cruise often with the same liner: Brands love loyalty and will pay you back in kind for being a return customer. If you like, you can drop a message to them about having enjoyed your last trip and how you are really looking forward to your next one. Who knows? The kind words just might get you some extra special treatment.
2. Join a membership program: Cruise lines tend to be more happy to grant an upgrade request when you’re a member of their program. Princess Cruise members can receive discounts, priority boarding, upgrades to bathroom amenities and upgrades to their vacation protection. Royal Caribbean states that upgrades will be offered to its Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members.
3 Book a guarantee or a TBA cabin: Standing for “To Be Assigned” this method means that while you don’t pick exactly which cabin you’ll get when you book, you are guaranteed your nominated cabin class or higher. If the more premium cabins above you sell out, then you’ll get what you nominated. If they don’t, you might get upgraded.
4. Choose a ship with a generous amount of superior rooms: It’s fair to say that if the ship has a limited number of premium cabins, you’ve got a limited chance of nabbing one for free. Opt for a ship with more and increase your chances.
5. Hold out a day before requesting the upgrade: Once the no-shows on your sailing have been confirmed, you might be able to cash-in on their rooms. Visit the front desk and make a request. You might even like to offer a little extra to compensate for the change.
6. Cruise off-peak: The less people on your ship the more chances a superior cabin will be empty. Use this to your advantage.
7. Look for specials: Sometimes cruise lines will offer you a balcony stateroom for inside or outside cabin prices. Keep your eyes peeled and keep this page bookmarked for when these sorts of deals appear.
8. Use your onboard credit: This one’s up to the cruise line to acceptor not, but if you’ve got onboard credit to spare why not use it to grab an upgrade? Now, this credit can’t be used until you set sail, so wait until you’re clear of the port before asking if it’s possible.
9 Book the outside cabin: Jumping from an inside cabin to a stateroom is a big ask. Make your request more realistic by booking a cabin that’s slightly more superior. If you’ve booked an inside room, perhaps try for an upgrade to an outside cabin instead.
10. Celebrate an occasion: When checking in, let the staff know that you’re celebrating something, whether it be a birthday, anniversary or engagement. The cruise line might be happy to help you celebrate in style if they can. If nothing else, they might give you some kind of bonus like a bottle of wine or tickets to a show.
11. Complain if you have something to complain about: Not happy with your cabin? If it’s a legitimate reason such as something not working or it being too noisy, let the front staff know. Usually they’ll be happy to do something to meet the expectations of your trip.
12. Ask for it: Don’t forget to be polite, too. There’s never any harm in asking.
Haven't booked your cruise yet? Check out our deals and discounts:
Up to 40% off cruises: Royal Caribbean WOW Sale
Valid on select cruises 19 September 2017 - 22 April 2018 in Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific, Trans-Pacific and Asia repositioning itineraries 5 nights or longer. Plus, receive up to US$300 onboard credit per stateroom and take advantage of 1/2 price deposits
Up to 30% off Alaska cruise holidays with Royal Caribbean
Valid on select Alaska sailings in 2018.
Up to $500 OBC + $100 internet credit per stateroom
Enjoy the fantastic bonus extras when you book select Holland America cruises at CruiseAway. Valid for departures from 1 June - 30 March 2018. Conditions apply.
Up to 50% off cruises + up to $300 flight credit
Valid on select cruises in New Zealand, Hawaii, South Pacific, Asia, Australia, Europe and the Caribbean.
Save up to 50% per person on launch fares + up to $300 eZair credit per stateroom
Save up to 50% per person on launch fares and receive up to $300 eZair credit per stateroom when you book select Princess New Zealand, Asia, Alaska, Europe, South Pacific, Caribbean, Panama Canal and the world cruises with Princess Cruise at CruiseAway. T&Cs apply.
FREE balcony upgrade: Royal Caribbean
Receive a free balcony upgrade for the price of an oceanview when you book select Royal Caribbean cruises before close of business on 31 March 2017. Conditions apply
No single supplement
Book select cruises as a solo traveller and pay no single supplement.
Last-minute cruises from £599pp
Valid on select sailings in Europe until 19 May.
Up to 50% off red hot cruise deals
Get up to 50% off red hot cruise deals at CruiseAway. Conditions Apply
Save up to GBP£200 per person + GBP£150 of reward vouchers
Save up to GBP£200 per person on selected holidays and receive GBP£150 in vouchers per couple for their next holiday/flight at Canadian Affair. T&Cs apply.
Up to 41% off Antarctic expeditions with Peregrine
Valid on select tours including 41% off the 11-day Antarctic Explorer, 27% off the 7-day Antarctic Express and 27% off the 14-day Crossing the Circle.
Up to 41% off Antarctic and Arctic trips with Intrepid
Valid on select tours departing until in Antarctica and the Arctic. Sample expeditions include the 11-day Antarctic Explorer for 41% off, 8-day Arctic Watch Lodge for 22% off and the 11-day Antarctic Express for 22% off.
Save up to 50%: Mates Rate Sale
Valid on select sailings until 30 April 2018. Get the second passenger in your cabin for up to 50% off on select P&O sailings. Conditions apply.
Up to 14% off Antarctic cruises
Valid on select Antarctic expedition cruises from Quark Expeditions, Antarctica XXI, Silversea an Hurtigruten.
Up to 30% off rivercruises
Valid on select cruises departing until 30 April on the Ganges, Mekong and Burgundy.
Up to 72% off P&O Cruises
Valid on select cruises in Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific Islands. Sample discounts include 72% off a 3-night cruise from Brisbane, 85% off a 2-night cruise from Sydney to Melbourne and 56% off a 10-night South Pacific cruise from Sydney.
50% off second passenger on Azamara + free internet
Book outside cabins or higher on select Azamara cruises departing 12 June 2017 until 26 April 2018 and the second passenger sails for free, plus get free unlimited internet.