The tips you need to score a more luxurious cabin for nothing with a cruise upgrade.
Bought an inside cabin but wishing you could get a room with a view instead for no extra cost? Sounds like a dream but there is a reality behind it.
Cruise cabin upgrades can happen, and while sometimes it’s luck of the draw, other times there are certain things you can do to increase your chances of being upgraded to that enviable balcony stateroom.
While the below tips aren’t guaranteed to work, it certainly can’t hurt to try them.
Top tips to score a cruise upgrade
1. Cruise often with the same liner: Brands love loyalty and will pay you back in kind for being a return customer. If you like, you can drop a message to them about having enjoyed your last trip and how you are really looking forward to your next one. Who knows? The kind words just might get you some extra special treatment.
2. Join a membership program: Cruise lines tend to be more happy to grant an upgrade request when you’re a member of their program. Princess Cruise members can receive discounts, priority boarding, upgrades to bathroom amenities and upgrades to their vacation protection. Royal Caribbean states that upgrades will be offered to its Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members.
7. Look for specials: Sometimes cruise lines will offer you a balcony stateroom for inside or outside cabin prices. Keep your eyes peeled and keep this page bookmarked for when these sorts of deals appear.
8. Use your onboard credit: This one’s up to the cruise line to acceptor not, but if you’ve got onboard credit to spare why not use it to grab an upgrade? Now, this credit can’t be used until you set sail, so wait until you’re clear of the port before asking if it’s possible.
9 Book the outside cabin: Jumping from an inside cabin to a stateroom is a big ask. Make your request more realistic by booking a cabin that’s slightly more superior. If you’ve booked an inside room, perhaps try for an upgrade to an outside cabin instead.
10. Celebrate an occasion: When checking in, let the staff know that you’re celebrating something, whether it be a birthday, anniversary or engagement. The cruise line might be happy to help you celebrate in style if they can. If nothing else, they might give you some kind of bonus like a bottle of wine or tickets to a show.
11. Complain if you have something to complain about: Not happy with your cabin? If it’s a legitimate reason such as something not working or it being too noisy, let the front staff know. Usually they’ll be happy to do something to meet the expectations of your trip.
12. Ask for it: Don’t forget to be polite, too. There’s never any harm in asking.
Haven't booked your cruise yet? Check out our deals and discounts:
Up to 80% off top cruise lines
Enjoy up to 80% off top cruise lines with Norweigian Cruise Line, Costa, Royal Caribbean cruises and more at Cruise Direct. Conditions apply
Show code & visit site17****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Up to 30% off + onboard credit on Royal Caribbean Cruises
Valid on sailings departing before 22 April and also includes 50% off deposits when you book select cruises in Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific, Transpacific and Asia repositioning cruises and more at CruiseAway. T&Cs apply.
Fred. Olsen's Cruise Sale + freebies and more
Enjoy big savings, freebies and more when you book a cruise during Fred. Olsen's Cruise Sale.
$1 deposits with P&O + free drinks package
Valid on cruises departing between 1 March 2017 and 31 January 2018. Cruises longer than seven nights will get a free premium beverage package. Cruises less than seven nights will get a free soft drinks package.
50% off second passenger on Azamara + free internet
Book outside cabins or higher on select Azamara cruises departing 12 June 2017 until 26 April 2018 and the second passenger sails for free, plus get free unlimited internet.