12 ways to get a cruise upgrade
The tips you need to score a more luxurious cabin for nothing with a cruise upgrade.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Bought an inside cabin but wishing you could get a room with a view instead for no extra cost? Sounds like a dream but there is a reality behind it.
Cruise cabin upgrades can happen, and while sometimes it’s luck of the draw, other times there are certain things you can do to increase your chances of being upgraded to that enviable balcony stateroom.
While the below tips aren’t guaranteed to work, it certainly can’t hurt to try them.
Top tips to score a cruise upgrade
1. Cruise often with the same liner: Brands love loyalty and will pay you back in kind for being a return customer. If you like, you can drop a message to them about having enjoyed your last trip and how you are really looking forward to your next one. Who knows? The kind words just might get you some extra special treatment.
2. Join a membership program: Cruise lines tend to be more happy to grant an upgrade request when you’re a member of their program. Princess Cruise members can receive discounts, priority boarding, upgrades to bathroom amenities and upgrades to their vacation protection. Royal Caribbean states that upgrades will be offered to its Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members.
3 Book a guarantee or a TBA cabin: Standing for “To Be Assigned” this method means that while you don’t pick exactly which cabin you’ll get when you book, you are guaranteed your nominated cabin class or higher. If the more premium cabins above you sell out, then you’ll get what you nominated. If they don’t, you might get upgraded.
4. Choose a ship with a generous amount of superior rooms: It’s fair to say that if the ship has a limited number of premium cabins, you’ve got a limited chance of nabbing one for free. Opt for a ship with more and increase your chances.
5. Hold out a day before requesting the upgrade: Once the no-shows on your sailing have been confirmed, you might be able to cash-in on their rooms. Visit the front desk and make a request. You might even like to offer a little extra to compensate for the change.
6. Cruise off-peak: The less people on your ship the more chances a superior cabin will be empty. Use this to your advantage.
7. Look for specials: Sometimes cruise lines - such as P&O Cruises will offer you a balcony stateroom for inside or outside cabin prices. Keep your eyes peeled and keep this page bookmarked for when these sorts of deals appear.
8. Use your onboard credit: This one’s up to the cruise line to acceptor not, but if you’ve got onboard credit to spare why not use it to grab an upgrade? Now, this credit can’t be used until you set sail, so wait until you’re clear of the port before asking if it’s possible.
9 Book the outside cabin: Jumping from an inside cabin to a stateroom is a big ask. Make your request more realistic by booking a cabin that’s slightly more superior. If you’ve booked an inside room, perhaps try for an upgrade to an outside cabin instead.
10. Celebrate an occasion: When checking in, let the staff know that you’re celebrating something, whether it be a birthday, anniversary or engagement. The cruise line might be happy to help you celebrate in style if they can. If nothing else, they might give you some kind of bonus like a bottle of wine or tickets to a show.
11. Complain if you have something to complain about: Not happy with your cabin? If it’s a legitimate reason such as something not working or it being too noisy, let the front staff know. Usually they’ll be happy to do something to meet the expectations of your trip.
12. Ask for it: Don’t forget to be polite, too. There’s never any harm in asking.
Haven't booked your cruise yet? Check out our deals and discounts:
More guides on Finder
Where to order El Jannah delivery
Craving El Jannah's famous chicken at home? Find out which delivery services are available and how to score free delivery.
Phone line installation
Find out how to get a new phone line connected to your home or business, and what to know when choosing an installation service.
Family getaways from Canberra to put smiles on their dials
Break out of the big city and explore the local townships, national parks and beaches with your brood these school holidays.
How to enjoy the Sydney New Year’s Eve fireworks for 2020/2021
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
Bright accommodation | Where to stay near the snow in Victoria
Compare Bright hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered Review: hands-on
Polestar's 331Kw family SUV is electric.
11 romantic getaways in Western Australia that will take your breath away
Get ready to be swept off your feet with the best romantic stays our western state has on offer.
5 romantic getaways in Perth Hills for the ultimate unwind
Surround yourself with gardens, bushland and wineries at these romantic getaways in Perth Hills.
Tasmanian family holiday destinations that are full of fun and adventure
These Tasmanian school holiday activities will get you making the most of your own backyard and exploring the great outdoors.
How does life insurance work?
All your questions about life insurance answered. Find out how life insurance works and how to get the right cover for you.
Ask an Expert