How to earn Qantas Frequent Flyer Points on car rentals
Book your next car rental with Avis or Budget to earn up to 4 Qantas Points per dollar spent.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Being a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program gives you access to a range of rewards and benefits, including earning points when you book a rental car through the website.
Here’s how you can capitalise on car rentals by booking through your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership. Plus, learn more about the terms and conditions you need to look out for to get the most out of your points.
Where can I earn Qantas Points on car rentals?
Qantas Frequent Flyer customers can earn Qantas Points when booking rental vehicles through the Qantas website with Avis and Budget. You can also redeem your points for rentals with both companies as well as Hertz and Thrifty. A Price Promise is also offered through Qantas to guarantee you are paying the best price for your hire.
|Car Rental Company||Qantas Points Earned (AU)||Qantas Points Earned (worldwide)|
|Avis Car Rental - Book a vehicle||4 per $1 spent||700 Qantas Points per rental|
|Budget Car Rental - Book a vehicle||4 per $1 spent||700 Qantas Points per rental|
Each of the rental car companies have different rates and rewards:
- Avis Car Rental. Available from over 240 Avis locations across the country, Qantas Frequent Flyer members can earn four Qantas Points per dollar spent on time and kilometre charges within Australia. With an additional 4,000 locations around the world, up to 700 Qantas Points per rental can be earned on Avis rentals.
- Budget Car Rental. You can earn four Qantas Points per dollar spent on time and kilometre charges at any of the 200 Budget Car Rental locations within Australia. Plus, Budget Car offer services at over 3,200 locations in 120 countries and let you redeem 700 Qantas Points per rental.
|Car Rental Company||Velocity Points Earned (AU & NZ)||Velocity Points Earned (worldwide)|
|Hertz - Book a vehicle||3 per $1 spent||800 Velocity Points per rental|
|Europcar - Book a vehicle||3 per $1 spent||800 Velocity Points per rental|
|Thrifty||3 per $1 spent||800 Velocity Points per rental|
Price Promise guarantee
Qantas offer a Price Promise to ensure you are guaranteed the lowest price on car rentals. If on the same day you book a car rental at qantas.com, you find an identical offer on any Australian website for a lower price, Qantas will refund the difference. Qantas Frequent Flyer members can also receive 1,000 Qantas Points for a successful claim. This offer is extended over each of the rental companies listed by Qantas: Avis, Budget, Thrifty and Hertz car rentals.
What are the benefits of booking your car hire through the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program?
There are many money-saving benefits that you can enjoy when you book your next car hire with Qantas, such as:
- Earn 4 Qantas Points per eligible AUD$1 spent on time and kilometre charges in Australia.
- Earn 700 Qantas Points per rental outside Australia with Avis and Budget.
- Guaranteed best price through the Qantas Price Promise
- You won’t have to pay booking fees.
- You can use Qantas travel insurance to cover rental car insurance excess, and any applicable car cancellation fee.
What to watch out for
Although the Qantas Frequent Flyer program offers several benefits to loyal customers, there are some things that you should keep in mind to ensure that you get the most out of your membership, including:
- Ensure you quote your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership and number at the time of booking to collect the points on your rental
- An additional fee of around $25 usually applies for drivers under the age of 25
- Additions to the hire, such as GPS navigation or car seats, will incur a fee
- Rental car insurance excess or cancellation fees are not covered by insurance
Redeem your Qantas Points to book car hire
As well as earning points through car rental, you can use your points to redeem car rental vouchers with Avis, Budget, Hertz and Thrifty. All companies require a minimum of 3,500 Qantas Points per rental. If portions of the voucher are unused, credits will be reissued. You must present the Frequent Flyer voucher upon collection of the vehicle. Bookings are subject to availability of cards and no one-way rentals are permitted.
If you’re already looking to rent a car, booking it with a Qantas partner could help you pick up some extra Qantas Frequent Flyer points on the road. These points can then be used to redeem a variety of rewards with Qantas and its partners. Using the program can help reduce your travel costs, meaning you can spend less money on car rentals and more on the fun parts of travelling!
More guides on Finder
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
Red Energy Business review April 2021
Earn Qantas Points every time you pay your bill with business plans from Red Energy.
Black Friday car hire deals for 2021
Get up to 50% off your next overland adventure with these Black Friday rental car offers.
Save on Queensland and Tasmania fares from $159 with this Qantas sale
EXPIRED: Save on your next domestic trip with Qantas' latest sale.
The top sites to buy distilled water online
Struggling in your search to find distilled water? These stores have you covered.
Where to book 4WD hire
Ready to hit the open road on an off-road adventure? Book your 4WD at these rental companies for less.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert