How to earn Qantas Frequent Flyer Points on car rentals
Book your next car rental with Avis or Budget to earn up to 4 Qantas Points per dollar spent.
Capitalise on car rentals by booking through your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership to earn points. Plus, learn more about the terms and conditions you need to look out for to get the most out of your Qantas points when earning them this way.
Where can I earn Qantas Points on car rentals?
Qantas Frequent Flyer customers can earn Qantas Points when booking rental vehicles through the Qantas website with Avis and Budget. You can also redeem your points for rentals with both companies as well as Hertz and Thrifty. A Price Promise is also offered through Qantas to guarantee you are paying the best price for your hire.
|Rental Company||Qantas Points Earned (AU)||Qantas Points Earned (worldwide)|
|Avis Car Rental||4 per $1 spent||700 Qantas Points per rental|
|Budget Car Rental||4 per $1 spent||700 Qantas Points per rental|
Each of the rental car companies has different rates and rewards:
- Avis Car Rental. Available from over 240 Avis locations across the country, Qantas Frequent Flyer members can earn 4 Qantas Points per $1 spent on time and kilometre charges within Australia. With an additional 4,000 locations around the world, up to 700 Qantas Points per rental can be earned on Avis rentals.
- Budget Car Rental. You can earn 4 Qantas Points per $1 spent on time and kilometre charges at any of the 200 Budget Car Rental locations within Australia. Plus, Budget Car offer services at over 3,200 locations in 120 countries and let you redeem 700 Qantas Points per rental.
Additionally, apart from car hire, you can earn 1 Qantas Point for every $1 spent on an eligible trip with Uber. You'll need to link your Qantas Frequent Flyer and Uber accounts, an eligible trip is one to or from one of the recognised Australian airports.
Price Promise guarantee
Qantas offer a Price Promise to ensure you are guaranteed the lowest price on car rentals. If on the same day you book a car rental at qantas.com, you find an identical offer on any Australian website for a lower price, Qantas will refund the difference. Qantas Frequent Flyer members can also receive 1,000 Qantas Points for a successful claim. This offer is extended over each of the rental companies listed by Qantas: Avis, Budget, Thrifty and Hertz car rentals.
What are the benefits of booking your car hire through the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program?
There are many money-saving benefits that you can enjoy when you book your next car hire with Qantas, such as:
- Earn 4 Qantas Points per eligible AUD$1 spent on time and kilometre charges in Australia.
- Earn 700 Qantas Points per rental outside Australia with Avis and Budget.
- Guaranteed best price through the Qantas Price Promise
- You won’t have to pay booking fees.
- You can use Qantas travel insurance to cover rental car insurance excess, and any applicable car cancellation fee.
What to watch out for
Although the Qantas Frequent Flyer program offers several benefits to loyal customers, there are some things that you should keep in mind to ensure that you get the most out of your membership, including:
- Ensure you quote your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership and number at the time of booking to collect the points on your rental
- An additional fee of around $25 usually applies for drivers under the age of 25
- Additions to the hire, such as GPS navigation or car seats, will incur a fee
- Rental car insurance excess or cancellation fees are not covered by insurance
Redeem your Qantas Points to book car hire
As well as earning points through car rental, you can use your points to redeem car rental vouchers with Avis, Budget, Hertz and Thrifty. All companies require a minimum of 3,500 Qantas Points per rental. If portions of the voucher are unused, credits will be reissued. You must present the Frequent Flyer voucher upon collection of the vehicle. Bookings are subject to the availability of cards and no one-way rentals are permitted.
If you’re already looking to rent a car, booking it with a Qantas partner could help you pick up some extra Qantas Frequent Flyer points on the road. These points can then be used to redeem a variety of rewards with Qantas and its partners. Using the program can help reduce your travel costs, meaning you can spend less money on car rentals and more on the fun parts of travelling!
Looking for more ways to earn points? Compare Qantas frequent flyer cards
|Feature||Card||Current Offer||Annual Fee & Purchase Rate|
|Bonus Points||Get up to 120,000 bonus Qantas Points when you spend $3,000 within 60 days and pay the second year's annual fee.|
|Bonus Points||Earn 80,000 bonus Qantas Points when you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months. Plus, an interest-free balance transfer offer.|
|Bonus Points & Cashback||Collect up to 130,000 bonus Qantas Points and $250 back when you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months.|
|$0 Annual Fee||Earns 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases, 0.5 point / $1 with government bodies in Australia and an additional 1.75 point for Qantas spend.|
More guides on Finder
How to buy Qantas Frequent Flyer Points in 2023
Coming up slightly short for a Qantas Reward Flight or upgrade? Here's how to purchase Qantas Points, and whether it's worth it.
How much is 1 Qantas Point worth?
Find out exactly how much a Qantas Point is worth right now and maximise the value of your rewards with this guide.
How to use Qantas Frequent Flyer Points
Discover all the different ways you can redeem your hard-earned Qantas Frequent Flyer Points.
How to get Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum tier benefits with Qantas
This guide sums up the five Qantas Frequent Flyer tiers and the increasing number of benefits you receive as you move up a notch to the next status level.
How to book flights with your Qantas Points
A step-by-step guide to how to book a flight using your Qantas Points. Here are four ways you can use your Qantas Points to book your flights.
24 ways you can earn more Qantas Points in 2023
From fuel to supermarkets to hotels to insurance and credit cards, discover all of the different ways you can earn more Qantas Frequent Flyer Points.
Qantas Business Rewards Program
How to earn Qantas Points on corporate flights and purchases with the Qantas Business Rewards program.
Ask an Expert