Compare the latest and biggest bonus points deals.
How to earn frequent flyer and other rewards points when eating out
Reward yourself when you wine and dine.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program has a wide range of partners that allow you to earn points for everyday spending and activities, including going out for a meal. With more than 18,000 restaurant partners across the country, Qantas Restaurants makes it easy to boost your point balance while you feast. Here, we explain how to make use of the partnership so you can maximise your frequent flyer perks while eating out.
1. Earn Qantas Points at Quandoo restaurants
You can earn 100 Qantas Points per person, per booking at your choice of 18,000 Quandoo restaurant partners in more than 12 countries. Quandoo is one of the largest online restaurant booking platforms in the world and you can earn points when you book reservations through the Qantas Restaurants portal on Qantas.com or through the Qantas app.
How does Qantas Restaurants work?
Qantas Restaurants is on online restaurant booking service powered by restaurant booking platform Quandoo. The partnership launched in August 2019. Highlights of the service include:
- Points per diner. When you book a restaurant via Qantas Restaurants, you earn 100 points for each person dining. You can make reservations either via the Qantas site or through the Qantas app. (Support for booking through the Quandoo site will be added in the future.)
- Online reservations. Reservations are confirmed by email immediately after your online booking.
- Special offers. Periodically, you will find bonus offers exclusive to the website, including food discounts and additional points. You can view these offers by visiting the Qantas Restaurants home page.
Which restaurants can I book to earn Qantas Points?
There is an expanding list of over 18,000 restaurants in 12 countries across the country that can be booked through Qantas Restaurants.
How long will it take for my points to be credited?
Points can take up to 7 days to appear in your Qantas Frequent Flyer Account.
Key details to remember
When using Qantas Restaurants to make your dining reservation and earn more frequent flyer points, make sure you keep the following details in mind:
- Membership details. You must be a Qantas Frequent Flyer member and include your membership number to earn points for Qantas Restaurant bookings.
- Reservation guests. Points will only be awarded for guests included in the reservation who actually dine on the day. For instance, if you make a reservation for five people but only three turn up, you will earn points for three people. If you make a booking for five people but seven people dine on the day, you will only earn points for five people.
- No points-splitting. Points in a single reservation can only be earned by the frequent flyer member under whose name the booking was made.
Now that you're clued in to the conditions of the program, you're ready to go earn some extra Qantas points on your dining expenses. This can be a great way to further maximise your frequent flyer rewards. If you already earn Qantas Points for everyday spends with a Qantas frequent flyer credit card, you can also double or triple your earn rate by using it in conjunction with Qantas Restaurants.
2. Use a credit card that earns more points at restaurants
|Card||Number of points earned at restaurants|
|American Express Platinum||2.25 points per $1 spent|
|American Express Explorer||2 points per $1 spent|
|Qantas American Express Ultimate||1.25 points per $1 spent|
|Citi Premier Card (existing customers only)||2 points per $1 spent|
|Citi Prestige||3 points per $1 spent|
3. Cover the bill with your credit card and get your friends to pay you back
If you’re going out for dinner with a group of friends, offer to cover the bill with your rewards credit card and get your friends to pay you back later. This way you’ll maximise how many points you’ll earn per $1 on the bill, but without the cost once your pals pay you back.
4. Collect 'Yums' with TheFork
TheFork has a loyalty program which allows members to earn points or 'Yums' as they wine and dine at over 4,000 eateries around Australia.
Every time you make an online booking via TheFork app you’ll earn 150 Yums. You can also collect 500 Yums when you invite a friend to make their first booking. Once you’ve reached 1,000 Yums you’ll receive a $20 discount at participating restaurants, and if you earn 2000 Yums for a $50 discount.
If you don’t belong to a frequent flyer program, this is an easy way to reward yourself every time you eat out!
So next time you go out to eat or order in, make sure to double-check this list to see if there’s a way you can earn points on the bill first!
Looking for more ways to earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points? Compare cards:
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
More guides on Finder
Ask Finder: What should I spend my frequent flyer points on apart from flights?
Here are ways you can spend your points for apart from flight options.
Get 15% bonus when you transfer Flybuys to Velocity
The top offer for maximising Flybuys is back again, here's how to use it.
Ask Finder: What’s happening with my Virgin Australia travel credits?
When do you have to use them by? Will your credits disappear as Virgin restructures? Your questions answered.
Ask Finder: Can businesses legally refuse to accept cash?
Does "legal tender" mean you can always pay with notes and coins?
Qantas Frequent Flyer and Afterpay: Everything you need to know
You could earn frequent flyer points with the popular buy now, pay later service – here's how it worked.
Qantas Points Club: The complete guide
Everything you need to know about earning more frequent flyer points and Status Credits without flying, through Qantas Points Club.
Cathay Pacific The Wing First Class Lounge Hong Kong Review
A bright and open lounge layout coupled with possibly the most luxurious airport cabana.
Qantas Business Class Lounge Sydney International Review
An average business lounge in need of a major makeover.
Cathay Pacific 777-300ER First Class Review
We test out Cathay's First Class product on its second-longest route.
Earning Flybuys points with HCF health insurance
How many points can you earn, and is it worth it?
Supercharge your frequent flyer points
Hot tips from Finder's frequent flyer expert Angus Kidman.
Ask an Expert