This point hack could earn you 1 additional Qantas Point per $1 spent with the airline when you use an American Express card.
If you have a Qantas American Express card, you could earn 1 additional Qantas Point per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services. This is on top of the standard earn rate for each of these Amex cards, which means you could earn between 2 and 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent with the airline.
But because not all Qantas payments are eligible for this higher earn rate, here you can learn exactly what Amex means by “selected Qantas products and purchases”. We also look at other features that come with these Amex cards and other factors to consider so that you can decide if a Qantas American Express card is right for you.
Which American Express cards earn additional Qantas Points per $1 spent?
American Express has three personal Qantas Frequent Flyer credit cards and one business credit card that offer 1 extra Qantas Point per $1 spent with the airline. You can compare these options in the table below:
|Card||Earn rate||Apply Online|
Qantas American Express Ultimate - Online Offer
Qantas American Express Premium
Qantas American Express Discovery
What does “selected Qantas products and services” mean?
If you want to use one of these Amex cards to earn 1 additional Qantas Point per $1 spent, here’s what you need to know about eligible purchases and possible exclusions:
- Qantas passenger flights. To earn an additional point per $1 spent, the flight must have a QF flight number and be purchased directly with Qantas or with a travel agent that books through the Qantas merchant account.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer and Qantas Club membership joining and annual fees. You’ll also be eligible to earn an additional Qantas Point per $1 spent if you use your Amex Qantas card to pay for a Qantas Frequent Flyer membership or for a Qantas Club annual membership fee.
- Exclusions. Jetstar, Qantas Holidays and Qantas branded non-airfare products are not eligible to earn additional Qantas Points. This feature is also subject to the Qantas American Express Cards Points Terms and Conditions.
How many points can I earn on Qantas bookings with Amex?
To give you an idea of the value of this offer, let’s say you have the American Express Qantas Ultimate and use it to book an economy Qantas flight from Sydney to Los Angeles for $1,200. You also decide to get individual one-year membership to Qantas Club for $510. If you booked your flight directly through the Qantas website, here’s how the costs and points would look:
Total spending: $1,710
Standard Amex Qantas Ultimate points earned: 1.5 points per $1 = 2,565
Additional points for “selected Qantas products and services”: 1,710
Total Qantas Points earned from Amex card: 4,275
You’d also get Qantas Points and Status Credits for your flight on top of the points earned through your Amex Qantas Ultimate.
What other benefits come with Amex Qantas cards?
Depending on the American Express card you choose, you could enjoy some of the following features:
- Bonus points on sign up. If you get a new Amex Qantas card, you could earn bonus points when you meet certain spending requirements. Currently the Qantas American Express Premium and Ultimate credit cards both have bonus point offers that could give you up to 30,000 and 100,000 Qantas Points respectively.
- Complimentary flights. The Qantas American Express Ultimate offers one complimentary Qantas domestic return Economy flight every year between selected Australian capital cities after your first card spend in Australia on selected Qantas products and services.
- Airport lounge access. With the Qantas Amex Ultimate, you can enjoy complimentary access up to two entries per year to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport, while the Qantas Amex Premium offers two Qantas Club Lounge invitations when you make an eligible purchase each anniversary year of your card membership.
- Complimentary travel insurance. The American Express Qantas Discovery, Premium and Ultimate all offer complimentary international travel insurance cover for you and your spouse or dependent children traveling with you. The American Express Qantas Business Card also offers domestic and international travel insurance. To get cover, you’ll need to meet the terms and conditions outlined for each individual card, including paying for your trip with your Amex card.
What else should I consider?
If you’re thinking of getting a Qantas American Express card to earn more Qantas Points, make sure you also consider the following factors:
- Annual fee. The annual fees for these American Express cards range from $249 for the Qantas Premium up to $450 for the Qantas Ultimate. The only exception is the American Express Qantas Discovery, which has no annual fee for life.
- Interest rates. The standard variable purchase rates for these cards are all higher than some other frequent flyer options and could add up quickly if you carry a balance.
- Foreign transaction fees. If you use your card to pay for purchases overseas or in a foreign currency, you’ll attract a fee worth 3% of the transaction value.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer membership. You need to be a current Qantas Frequent Flyer member and provide Amex with your membership details to earn points with any of these cards. If you’re not a member and want to avoid the sign-up fee, check out our guide ongetting Qantas Frequent Flyer membership for free.
When will the credit card points I earn show up in my Qantas Frequent Flyer account?
The Qantas Points you collect through your Amex card are outlined on each statement and will be automatically transferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyer accounton a monthly basis. This transfer occurs around six days before the end of your card’s statement period and, depending on the timing, could mean that the total points listed are not all transferred to your Qantas account at the same time. Any points for transactions on your card account made after the transfer date will appear on your next month’s Qantas account.
The range of American Express credit cards linked to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program offers competitive standard earn rates and 1 additional Qantas Point when you use one to pay for Qantas flights, Qantas Frequent Flyer membership or Qantas Club membership. While this gives you a way to earn more Qantas Points for your spending, remember to compare a range of other features and options so you can find the right frequent flyer credit card for you.
Pictures: ShutterstockBack to top