How to earn frequent flyer points with rideshare and taxi services
Need a lift to the airport or a ride home after a night out? Here’s how you can earn frequent flyer points with your trip.
If you use Uber, Ola or even the luxury chauffeur service Brunel, you can earn points for your ride thanks to partnerships with frequent flyer programs including Qantas, Velocity and Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific).
Use this guide to learn about the different rideshare services you can earn points with in Australia. We compare different options and look at other key details to consider, so you can get as many frequent flyer points as possible when you’re on the road.
Which frequent flyer programs offer points for ridesharing and taxi services?
As of November 2017, Qantas, Velocity, Asia Miles, KrisFlyer and Lufthansa Miles & More all offer partnerships with different ridesharing and taxi apps. If you’re a member of one or more of these frequent flyer programs, use the table below to browse the different rideshare and taxi services you can earn points with. We’ve also included details of the number of points available.
|Car service||Frequent flyer program||Points|
|Blacklane||Asia Miles||2 points per USD/EUR/GBP when you book airport pick-ups or drop-offs, hourly rides and point-to-point transfers online|
|Blacklane||Lufthansa Miles & More||2 point per USD/EUR/GBP spent on Blacklane rides|
|Blacklane||KrisFlyer||2 point per USD/EUR/GBP spent on Blacklane rides|
|Brunel||Qantas||4 points per AUD$1 on top-class vehicles 2 points per AUD$1 for standard rates on individual shuttle bus|
|ingogo||Qantas||1 point per AUD$1 on eligible taxi travel booked using ingogo app|
|Ola||Velocity||2 points per AUD$1 on eligible rides to and from selected airports (includes Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and more)|
1 point per AUD$1 on all other rides
|Uber||Qantas||1 point per AUD$1 spent for rides to and from selected airports.|
What else do I need to know?
Keep the following details in mind to ensure you accrue points for your taxi, chauffeur and ridesharing trips:
- Membership details. To earn points, you need to provide your frequent flyer membership number. Usually you need to do this at the time of booking, or beforehand if the booking is made through an app.
- Eligible trips. Some of these taxi and ridesharing services offer a range of transport options and may not offer frequent flyer points for all of them. We’ve included key details in the table above, but check with the service before booking to make sure you’ll earn points.
- Currency conversion. When you earn points with some of the services, such as Blacklane and Connexe, it will be in an international currency. If you use these services and pay with an Australian credit or debit card, the amount of points you earn will depend on the currency exchange rate. Also keep in mind that currency conversion costs may apply.
- Service costs. While it’s possible to earn points when you use these services, remember to weigh up whether the costs of the trip are worth it. In some cases, it may be better to skip the points and shop around for a service that is more affordable or convenient.
- Shuttle trips. If you’re travelling to or from an airport and don’t mind sharing your trip with others, you may be able to earn points for shuttle trips. For example, Velocity has partnered with Melbourne’s SkyBus airport shuttle service, and offers 100 points for every adult ticket you buy. Qantas offers 2 points per $1 when you use a Redy2Go shuttle.
- Frequent flyer credit cards. If you use a frequent flyer credit card to pay for eligible taxi or rideshare trips, you can earn even more points. Just remember to weigh the costs of the card against the points you'll earn to decide if it’s worth it.
These taxi and ridesharing services make it easy for you to get a lift wherever you need to go and earn points in the process. Make sure you link your frequent flyer account before you book a trip, and consider the overall costs so you can make travel choices that work for your budget and needs.Back to top
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert