Want to be rewarded for paying your bills? Use your frequent flyer membership to earn points when you pay.
The Velocity and Qantas Frequent Flyer programs allow you to earn points simply by paying your bills. Each of the frequent flyer programs has partnered with companies that reward you with points when you sign up with them as well as each time you pay your bill. With these programs, paying a bill can be an opportunity to turn your payments into points that can be used for your next holiday or reward.
Compare Qantas Frequent Flyer Credit Cards
Rates last updated April 24th, 2017.
- ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum
50,000 bonus points offer has been extended, plus a new offer of $0 annual fee for the first year.
November 29th, 2016
- HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card
60,000 bonus points offer has been extended until 30 June 2017.
December 27th, 2016
- Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
Bonus points offer changed from 50,000 to 75,000 plus new earn rates have applied.
March 7th, 2017
Earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points on your phone plan
Qantas Frequent Flyer points can be earned through changing your current providers to a Qantas-partnered company. Participating companies that offer the chance to earn points include:
- Vodafone mobile plan. This new partnership lets Qantas Frequent Flyer members and Aquire members enjoy a one-time reward of Qantas Points or Aquire Points across three Vodafone 24-month Qantas Red plans or Qantas Business Red plans.
You will earn the following Qantas Points when you sign up for the Qantas Plans.
|Vodafone plan type||Qantas Points earned|
|$80 per month||4,000 points|
|$100 per month||5,000 points|
|$130 per month||7,500 points|
If you sign up for your Vodafone plan online, you can earn double the points:
|Vodafone plan type||Qantas Points earned|
|$80 per month||8,000 points|
|$100 per month||10,000 points|
|$130 per month||15,000 points|
Plan information is current as of 10th March 2016.
Earn Velocity Frequent Flyer points on energy
Velocity and EnergyAustralia have partnered to offer Velocity frequent flyers a way to earn points on their electricity and gas bills. You can earn up to 20,000 Velocity Points if you sign up to an eligible gas and electricity account and link it with your frequent flyer account before 3 May 2017. Existing EnergyAustralia customers can also earn 1,000 bonus points and a $100 Virgin Australia Holidays voucher when they link their accounts by 3 May 2017. Both new and existing customers who have linked their EnergyAustralia and Velocity accounts will receive an anniversary 2,000 Velocity Points bonus every year.
Earn Velocity Frequent Flyer points on insurance
You can also earn points through switching your other bill providers to a partner of the Velocity Frequent Flyer program. Opportunities to earn points include:
- Virgin Money - comprehensive car insurance. Save 25% and earn 5,000 bonus Velocity Points when you buy Virgin car insurance.
- Virgin Money - Home and Contents Insurance. Save 35% and earn 5,000 Velocity Points when you combine and buy Virgin Home and Contents Insurance Price Saver online before 31 December 2017.
- Cover-More travel insurance. Earn 3 points per $1 spent and enjoy peace of mind with travel insurance and emergency medical assistance. Silver, Gold and Platinum members will also earn a 50%, 75% and 100% respectively on top of the base points earned.
Before going ahead, what else do I need to know?
- Pay with a co-branded Velocity or Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card. By using your Velocity credit card or Qantas Frequent Flyer card you can double the number of points you earn. Not only will you receive the points outlined through the provider, but you will also get bonus points by using your credit card.
- Improve your credit score. Considering you’ll already have to fork out cash to pay your bills, using your credit card could be a good way to earn points and improve your credit score at the same time. So long as you’re making timely repayments, paying your bills on your credit card could help strengthen your credit history.
- How long until the points go into my account? It can take up to three months for the points to be credited to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account. Velocity Points from third parties usually take up to 30 days to appear in your account.
- Spending on credit. While spending on credit and earning rewards is beneficial to cardholders, high-rewarding credit cards do come with high fees and interest rates. Make sure the benefit outweighs the cons before signing up.
- Temptation to spend. Rewards are exciting and it would be an easy mistake to spend more than you have just to earn points. Remember to only spend what you can afford to repay.
- Terms and conditions. While the idea of earning points through paying bills sounds good, check that the energy or utility provider you’re with can earn you points.
By paying your bills with your frequent flyer credit card, you can get extra value back from dreaded monthly liabilities. Earning points on everyday purchases can help you redeem rewards more quickly. Compare the terms and conditions to make sure you understand what you’ll be earning before you sign up.Back to top