How to buy ()
Learn how to buy () easily by following a step-by-step guide and compare 10+ crypto exchanges.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
PotCoin (POT) is a peer-to-peer cryptocurrency developed with the aim of becoming the currency of choice for the legal marijuana industry. These digital coins can be transferred from person to person around the world and are designed to provide the ability to purchase cannabis anonymously without using cash.
How does PotCoin work and how can you buy, sell or trade POT in Australia? Let’s take a closer look.
Where to buy PotCoin
You can buy POT on a number of popular cryptocurrency exchanges, including the following:
How to buy PotCoin: Your step-by-step guide
If you want to buy POT, you can do so by following three simple steps:
Step 1. Create an account with a cryptocurrency exchange that allows you to trade POT
POT isn’t widely listed on cryptocurrency exchanges, so you’ll first need to choose an exchange that offers POT currency pairings. Once you’ve found an exchange, you can sign up for an account by providing your name, email address and password.
Under Know Your Customer (KYC) laws, some exchanges will need you to supply proof of ID in order to verify your account before you can start trading. Enabling two-factor authentication will provide an extra level of security for your account and is strongly recommended.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account
There’s currently no way to exchange Australian dollars (AUD) directly for POT, so you’ll need to own or buy a cryptocurrency that’s available in a currency pairing with POT, such as bitcoin (BTC), and then exchange it for POT.
To deposit BTC into your trading account, look for the relevant “Deposit” link from your account homepage and follow the prompts to generate a wallet address and transfer your funds.
Step 3. Buy POT
Once the funds have been successfully deposited, search for the currency pair you want to trade. After you’ve found POT/BTC, you can then click on “Buy POT” to see the current market price.
It’s then a matter of choosing a limit or market order and entering the amount of BTC you want to spend or the amount of POT you want to buy. Some exchanges will instantly place your order as soon as you click “Buy”, while others will give you a chance to review the details of your transaction before finalising the purchase.
How to sell PotCoin
If you want to sell your POT on a crypto exchange, the process for doing so is very similar to the buying process explained in step 3. However, keep in mind that not all currency pairings will be available on any given exchange, so it may not necessarily be possible to exchange POT for your desired currency straight away.
Which wallets can I use to hold PotCoin?
You can store your PotCoin tokens in the official PotCoin online wallet, which is available for download on the PotCoin site. Desktop wallets for Windows, Mac and Linux are available, and you can also find an Android and iPhone (pending App Store approval) online wallet.
How PotCoin works
Launched in January 2014 by developers with the pseudonyms Hasoshi, Mr. Jones and Smokemon 514, PotCoin was one of the first cryptocurrencies for the marijuana industry. The new currency, based in Montreal, Canada, aimed to capitalise on the US state of Colorado’s decision to legalise marijuana by providing cannabis dispensaries with access to banking services.
In the words of PotCoin, the currency was “designed to empower, secure and facilitate the legal cannabis community’s transactions by creating a unique cryptocurrency for this thriving industry”. PotCoin claims to offer the following wide range of benefits to users:
- Direct person-to-person transactions via the net with no need for a bank or clearing house
- Low transaction fees
- Transaction speeds of 40 seconds
- State-of-the-art encryption for security
- Open-source software so that anyone can review the code
After plenty of initial hype and media coverage in 2014, PotCoin largely dropped off the radar until 2017, when its Dennis Rodman/North Korea media stunt (more details below) caused plenty of headlines. The fact that PotCoin is still going in 2018 means it has enjoyed a longer lifespan than many other cryptocurrencies, but there are several issues you’ll need to consider before deciding whether it’s worth buying.
What to consider if buying PotCoin
Cryptocurrencies are complicated and speculative, so you’ll need to thoroughly understand all the risks involved before acquiring any coins. If you’re thinking of buying POT, make sure you consider the following:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap, the circulating supply of PotCoin at the time of writing (24/01/2018) was 219,247,281 POT.
- Other cannabis cryptocurrencies. PotCoin isn't the only cryptocurrency designed for the cannabis industry, so you’ll need to compare its strengths and weaknesses with other coins. Competitors include CannabisCoin (CANN), DopeCoin (DOPE), HempCoin (THC) and CannaCoin (CCN).
- Earn interest. PotCoin is based on a proof-of-stake system, which means users can stake their POT holdings to generate annual interest of approximately 5%. By staking your POT, your computer becomes an active node on the network and also means you are rewarded with additional PotCoin tokens.
- Legalised marijuana legislation. Since PotCoin was founded in 2014, recreational marijuana has been legalised in a number of US states, while medical marijuana is also widely available. As the decriminalisation of marijuana in US states and other countries around the world continues, you’ll need to consider the potential effect this may have on the ease with which cannabis-related businesses can access banking services.
- US federal law. It’s also worth considering that marijuana is still illegal under US federal law, which means marijuana operators and businesses in the US cannot access the services of banks. This forces many to operate on a cash-only basis.
- Industry growth. The legal marijuana industry reached $US9.7 billion in sales in 2017, a 33% increase over 2016, with analysts predicting the market to hit $US24.5 billion in sales by 2021.
- Cannabis only. PotCoin is focused solely on the cannabis market. Other cryptocurrencies aim for widespread adoption across a range of sectors, so you will need to decide if this limits POT’s potential for growth.
- Dennis Rodman. In June 2017, PotCoin funded controversial former NBA star Dennis Rodman’s trip to North Korea, with footage of Rodman sporting a potcoin.com shirt doing the rounds in many media outlets. The risky and somewhat bizarre stunt put PotCoin in the media spotlight and saw the coin’s value rise 76% in one day.
- Roadmap. If you want to know what projects and tech developments PotCoin has in the pipeline, as well as how they could affect the value of POT in future, you should take a look at the company’s Roadmap.
More guides on Finder
How to watch Liverpool vs Arsenal Premier League live in Australia
Liverpool host Arsenal in a fight for the top 4 in the Premier League this Sunday.
How to watch Newcastle vs Brentford Premier League match in Australia
Newcastle host to Brentford in the Premier League.
How to watch Leicester vs Chelsea Premier League live in Australia
Leicester City are scrambling to stay in touch with the top 6 and they will be in desperate need of points when they face league leaders Chelsea on Saturday.
Black Friday deal: 34% off PlayStation Plus 12-month membership
Amazon has knocked 34% off PlayStation Plus 12 Month Membership cards as part of its mid-year sale - save $27.95!
Microsoft Black Friday sale 2021: The best deals so far
Here's a sneak peek at the Microsoft Store's best Black Friday deals so far.
2022 Audi RS 3: What it will cost and when to expect it
The Audi RS 3 is now $8,000 more expensive. Is it worth it?
Volvo imagines its electric car of the future
Cars made from sheep's wool and waste plant material? The Volvo Concept Recharge has some surprising interior materials.
Princess Polly’s early Black Friday 2021 deals are here
Get your wardrobe party-season ready with these hot Black Friday fashion offers from Princess Polly.
Black Friday 2021: eBay’s best deals so far [Updated]
eBay's daily Black Friday deals are now live including 60% off Massage Guns, 53% off Samsung Galaxy Watch and 48% off Sony A8F 4K OLED TVs.
Black Friday fashion sales 2021: The best deals so far
2021's best early-bird Black Friday fashion deals include 60% off at JD Sports, 80% off at White Fox Boutique and 50% off at THE ICONIC
Get into cryptocurrency
Ask an Expert