How to buy PacCoin
What’s PacCoin and how does it work?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
PacCoin (PAC), or the People's Alternative Choice Coin, is a lesser known coin that’s been sitting since 2015. It experienced rapid inflation during 2017, which might be attributed to generous mining rewards.
At the start of 2018, PAC had become one of the cheapest crypto coins out there, with a relatively large total supply of roughly 3.5 trillion coins and a planned cap of 100 trillion. It has a devoted community that hopes to see their holdings come to fruition and make them rich, believing in its future as an “Internet penny” that lends itself to micro-transactions.
At the time of writing in January 2018, there are two upcoming changes that might affect PAC.
- 1 February 2018 – Whitepaper: The PacCoin whitepaper is due for release. This will outline the roadmap for what has, to date, been commonly regarded as a cheap and unusable coin.
- 1 March 2018 – Coin Swap: PacCoin is expected to redefine itself to try to break free from the inflation that’s scuppered its value. It will essentially divide by 1,000, and every 1,000 old PAC will be replaced by a single new coin. So on 1 March, someone who owns 10,000 PAC should get 10 of the new coin.
Where to buy PAC
Currently, PAC is only available on the YoBit exchange.
Things to consider before buying PAC
If the PAC whitepaper fills you with confidence in the coin’s future, it might be worth buying. Or you might even get in sooner while it’s still worth relatively little, being mindful of the upcoming coin swap.
There are some things to watch out for in the coming months:
- A marketing-only whitepaper: Anyone can make big claims in a whitepaper. You should consider whether the PAC development team actually has the capacity to follow through on any promises made. The coin has seen little development since 2015, other than blog posts, and there are no guarantees that the coin developers can suddenly shift gears.
- A failed coin swap: Many in the PAC community are looking forward to the coin swap, and believe that it will multiply the value of each coin by 1,000 and give it some heft. Unfortunately, price doesn’t automatically reflect the rarity. The relationship between coin supply and coin value is more of a guideline than a physical law of the universe. Barring serious developments in the coming months, it seems to be more likely that PAC will simply continue being worth very little, except in smaller numbers.
- A planned pump and dump: There’s always the possibility that key stakeholders are done and want to drum up some hype before dumping their coin stashes and abandoning the project.
Nothing is guaranteed. If you have confidence in the community and the developers, and you're a risk-taker, you may decide that buying PAC Coin before the changes might turn into a bargain. Make sure you undertake thorough research before you act.
More guides on Finder
How to invest in the PEXA Group IPO
Everything we know about the PEXA Group IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to pick a proven budgeting strategy that works for you
We've compared 3 popular approaches to help sort your finances.
Property prices: You need a $100K deposit in every capital city – except this one
Saving a 20% deposit for the median priced property in most Australian cities is a 6-figure task.
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Latest crypto guides
Ask an Expert