How to buy LBRY Credits (LBC)
A beginner’s guide to buying, selling and trading LBRY Credits.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
LBRY is a community-run digital media library. This decentralised blockchain platform designed to make it possible for artists to upload their content to a network of hosts and set a price per stream or download, or give it away for free.
LBRY Credits (LBC) are the native currency of the LBRY platform and can be earned and spent throughout the application in a number of ways. Read on to find out what LBRY is, how it works and how you can buy LBRY Credits in Australia.
Quick guide: How to buy LBC
- Register for an account with a cryptocurrency exchange like CoinSpot.
- Enable 2-factor authentication.
- Verify your account.
- Click “Deposit AUD”.
- Transfer funds into your account.
- Click “Buy/Sell” at the top of the screen.
- Search for the cryptocurrency you want and click “Buy”.
- Enter the amount you want to buy, or the amount of AUD you want to spend.
- Review the transaction details.
- Click “Buy”.
This is our quick guide to just one way to buy LBC. Compare some other options in the table below.
Where to buy, sell or trade LBC in Australia
You can buy LBC on several popular cryptocurrency exchanges, including:
A step-by-step guide to buying LBRY Credits
If you want to buy LBC, here’s one example of how you can do it:
Step 1. Register for an account with CoinSpot
If you want to exchange Australian dollars (AUD) directly for LBC, local cryptocurrency exchange CoinSpot allows you to do so. You can register for a free CoinSpot account by entering your email address and creating a password, but you’ll also have to provide your full name, contact details and proof of ID before you can deposit funds and place any trades.
It’s also a good idea to enable two-factor authentication on your account for increased security.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account
Log into your account and click the “Deposit AUD” link from the account dashboard. You can then enter the amount of AUD you want to deposit or, if you prefer, visit a newsagency to deposit cash in person via Blueshyft.
Note: A number of cryptocurrency exchanges don’t allow you to swap fiat currency, such as AUD, directly for cryptocurrencies. This means that you’ll often need to exchange AUD for a cryptocurrency that’s available in a pairing with LBC, such as bitcoin (BCT), and then exchange your BTC for LBC.
Step 3. Buy LBC
Click the “Buy/Sell” link from the account dashboard and search for “LBC”. Click “Buy LBC” and then type in the amount of AUD you want to spend or the amount of LBC you wish to purchase.
Make sure you review the amount of LBC you’re buying and the total cost of the purchase (including fees) before completing the transaction.
How to sell LBC
If you want to sell your LBC holdings, look for the “Sell LBC” link from your trading account and you can then follow essentially the same steps as outlined in Step 3 above. Of course, it’s also important to point out that it often won’t be possible to exchange LBC directly for the currency you want, so it may take multiple transactions to convert LBC into your desired currency.
Which wallets can I use to hold LBC?
Storing your cryptocurrency holdings on an exchange is not recommended for security purposes. Instead, it’s safer to store your LBC in a secure wallet. The LBRY app features an in-built wallet and is available for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS and Android operating systems.
If you’re looking for a standalone wallet, LBRY recommends the Coinomi wallet.
How LBRY works
LBRY is a digital media library and marketplace that aims to overcome problems of content censorship and centralised control. The LBRY protocol uses blockchain technology to allow users to upload their own content, including e-books, videos, music, artworks and more. And the content creator gets to keep everything they earn through the platform, with no need to pay fees to a third party.
However, users get to define the terms and fees they adopt when sharing their content, and because the content is divided and distributed over the network, it cannot be censored or limited to specific geographic areas.
The LBRY project is run by a company known as LBRY Inc., which is developing a LBRY app to allow users to interact with the protocol. LBRY Credits (LBC) are the built-in cryptocurrency payment system of the LBRY platform and have a number of important functions, as you’ll see below.
Key things to consider if you’re thinking about buying LBC
Cryptocurrencies are complex and speculative, so make sure you understand and accept all the associated risks before making a purchase. If you’re thinking of buying LBC, remember to consider the following factors first:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap, at the time of writing (02/02/2018) the circulating supply of LBC was 145,835,901, out of a total supply of 520,735,904 LBC. The LBC market cap on the same date was US$70,127,818.
- Future supply. Eventually, 1,000,000,000 LBC will exist. 400,000,000 LBC of those are held back to be administered by LBRY, Inc., with 100,000,000 earmarked for charity and 300,000,000 strategically allocated to partners.
- How to acquire LBC. You can get LBC in the following ways:
- As a gift through the LBRY Rewards program, which allows users to earn credits for completing tasks throughout the LBRY application. You can receive LBC rewards for actions such as streaming your first video, publishing your first piece of content or watching several videos.
- By referring friends who sign up to LBRY.
- By helping with tasks such as providing additional testing or offering assistance to the LBRY community.
- By contributing to the LBRY project as a developer or engineer.
- By mining them. LBC are mined over a 20-year proof-of-work period. Block rewards increase every 100 blocks by 1LBC, peak at 500LBC, and then decline slowly.
- By publishing content to the LBRY network and selling it at the LBC of your choice.
- By buying LBC on an exchange.
- Roadmap. If you want to know of any future technological developments and releases that could influence the price of LBC, check the roadmap on the LBRY website.
- Takeup. The value of LBC is closely tied to the adoption of the LBRY platform – the more content producers and users the platform attracts, the more valuable the currency should be.
By considering the above factors and more, you’ll be able to make an informed decision about whether you should buy LBC or not.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day home deals to expect: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
Latest crypto guides
Ask an Expert