How to buy GameCredits
A beginner’s guide to GameCredits (GAME) and where you can buy, sell and trade GAME in Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
GameCredits (GAME) is a digital currency designed to facilitate in-game payments. Based on blockchain technology, GameCredits aims to allow gamers and developers to buy and sell games and in-game items quickly, securely and privately.
If you want to buy and sell GAME as a cryptocurrency, read on to find out how.
Where to buy GAME
GameCredits is available on several popular cryptocurrency exchanges, such as:
How to buy GAME: A step-by-step guide
Here’s a step-by-step explanation of one way you can buy GAME in Australia:
Step 1. Register for an account with CoinSpot
Local cryptocurrency exchange CoinSpot allows you to buy GAME with Australian dollars (AUD). You can sign up for an account by entering your email address and creating a password, but you’ll also need to provide your full name, contact information and proof of ID before you can deposit Australian dollars.
Don’t forget to also set up two-factor authentication to provide an extra level of security for your trading funds.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account
From the CoinSpot account dashboard, click the “Deposit AUD” link. You can then enter the amount of AUD you want to deposit and confirm the transaction, or you can deposit cash at a newsagency via Blueshyft.
At this stage of the process, it’s important to point out that many cryptocurrency exchanges don’t facilitate the exchange of fiat currency (such as your AUD) for cryptocurrency. If that’s the case on your chosen exchange, you’ll first need to acquire a cryptocurrency that’s available in a pairing with GAME, such as Ethereum (ETH) or bitcoin (BTC), and then exchange it for GameCredits.
Step 3. Buy GAME
Click on the “Buy/Sell” link at the top of the CoinSpot dashboard screen and search for “GAME”. Click on “Buy GAME” and then type in either the amount of AUD you want to spend or the amount of GAME you want to buy. You can then review the details and total cost of your transaction and, if everything is okay, click through to confirm the purchase.
How to sell GAME
The process for selling GAME is more or less the same as the buying process detailed in Step 3 above. Of course, you’ll obviously need to follow the prompts to “Sell GAME” rather than buy, while it’s also important to remember that it may not be possible to directly exchange your GAME for the currency you want.
If you’re looking for a safe place to store your GameCredits, the official web wallet is available on the GameCredits site. You can also download a wallet for Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.
How GameCredits works
The digital video games industry attracts more than US$100 billion in revenue each year and is predicted to earn US$132 billion in total annual revenues by 2021.
GameCredits is a universal in-game token developed using blockchain technology. Established in 2016, it provides developers with a free, plug and play in-game monetisation platform.
Why would someone use GameCredits to make in-game purchases? The company claims it offers the following benefits:
- It’s instant. GameCredits can be transferred anywhere within a few minutes.
- It’s secure. Every transaction is recorded on the blockchain and can’t be altered.
- It’s decentralised. The value of GameCredits is determined by global adoption.
- It’s anonymous. Every user has their own unique address.
GameCredits also offers a number of other products and platforms, including:
- GNation. This GameCredits initiative is an online community for gamers all around the world.
- GPlay. GPlay is a mobile gaming store that rewards developers with 90% payouts per sale.
- Game.GG. This e-sports platform was listed as “coming soon” at the time of writing.
- GExchange. Still in development, GExchange will be the official exchange office of the GNation community and allow gamers to exchange GameCredits for fiat or cryptocurrencies.
Before you buy GAME: Things to consider
If you’re thinking of buying GAME or any other cryptocurrency, it’s essential that you’re fully aware of all the risks involved. Holding cryptocurrency is complicated and speculative, so make sure you consider the following factors before deciding whether or not to buy GAME:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap, the circulating supply of GameCredits at the time of writing (23/01/2018) was 64,355,352 GAME. The maximum number of coins is 84,000,000.
- GAME use. Players use GAME to make in-game purchases and buy games from the GPlay store, while the credits a player earns in one game can also be used in another. Developers use the currency to sell in-game items, upgrades and games.
- Availability. A cryptocurrency’s availability on a variety of exchanges allows for easy access and could potentially increase demand. GameCredits can be purchased on a relatively wide range of cryptocurrency exchanges, plus it can also be purchased via credit card, PayPal and a variety of other payment methods through the company’s proprietary payment gateway.
- New game launches. Check online forums and gaming news sites for details of upcoming games that support GameCredits. The launch of a hugely popular game that supports GAME (the cryptocurrency) could potentially increase GAME’s value.
- Industry’s potential for growth. There are some 2.6 billion gamers around the world, and GameCredits aims to become the universal cryptocurrency for all of them. The global video games industry was expected to generate more than US$108 billion in revenue and is expected to climb towards US$130 billion by 2020.
- Market competition. You should also consider whether GameCredits is well placed to take advantage of the potential growth in the industry compared to its competitors. Other gaming cryptocurrency providers include SkinCoin and Enjin.
More guides on Finder
Best gaming monitors in Australia
These are the best gaming monitors you can buy right now in Australia.
NBN battery replacement
Find out where to buy a new NBN battery and easily install it yourself.
How to start a homewares business
Find out how to turn your passion for homewares into a profitable business.
What is Uniswap?
Learn more about the UNI cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Balancer (BAL): How it works and where to buy it
Learn more about the BAL cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Australia’s Christmas spending statistics 2020
Despite the impact of the pandemic, Finder research shows that Australians are planning to spend $17.3 billion this Christmas. Find out what we'll be buying, and how much we're expected to spend per person.
Axie Infinity integrates Chainlink oracles for prices and VRF
With price feeds, verifiable on-chain randomness and more, blockchain games can get a lot of use out of oracles.
Here’s the cheapest way to buy a PS5 from Vodafone
Find out how you can buy the PS5 with interest-free repayments from Vodafone.
Best PlayStation 5 Games in Australia
These are the 6 best video games that you can buy right now for your PlayStation 5 in Australia.
Thorchain (RUNE): How it works and where to buy it
Learn more about the RUNE cryptocurrency with this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Latest crypto guides
Ask an Expert