How to boost your Flybuys points with Flybuys travel
Earn Flybuys points per $1 spent on flights, hotels, car hire and holiday packages with Flybuys travel and get rewarded faster.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Flybuys travel booking service is an online travel service where you can search, compare and book flights, accommodation and car hire from a range of providers. You can also earn Flybuys points or redeem them as part of your booking.
With travel bookings often costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars, this service gives you an opportunity to maximise your rewards for a loyalty program that’s usually associated with groceries. Here, we look at how many points you can earn with Flybuys travel, as well as ways to get even more.
Information about Velocity PointsDue to Virgin Australia going into voluntary administration, the Velocity Frequent Flyer program has placed a freeze on reward redemptions for an initial period of four weeks, effective from 21 April 2020. You can still transfer Flybuys points to Velocity Points at this stage, if you wish to do so. We will update this page with more information as it becomes available. You can also continue to redeem Flybuys points for other rewards.
How you can earn and redeem Flybuys points with Flybuys travel
While frequent flyer programs earn points based on the distance travelled, Flybuys travel offers Flybuys rewards points for every $1 you spend with this service. We’ve outlined the key details below to give you an idea of how you can use this service to earn or redeem rewards.
- Earn rate. You get 1 Flybuys point per $1 spent on Flybuys travel bookings.
- Redemption rate. With Flybuys travel, 200 Flybuys points are equal to $1 of a booking. To put this into perspective, each Flybuys point you earn is worth 0.5 cents through this redemption. This is the same rate used when redeeming points for Flybuys dollars and offers the greatest value for your points of any standard Flybuys redemptions. Note that this means the points required for a redemption will vary based on the actual price of the ticket, so travelling during peak times will require more points than travelling at off-peak times.
- Points plus pay. You have the option of paying for Flybuys travel bookings with a combination of points and cash. Note that there is a minimum points requirement of 2,000 for this type of payment.
- Frequent flyer program transfer rate. You can transfer Flybuys points from your membership account to the Velocity Frequent Flyer program, with a minimum of 2,000 Flybuys points equalling 870 Velocity Points. You can use our calculator to see how many Velocity Points when you shop with Flybuys partners.
- Frequent flyer points. You can also earn frequent flyer points directly through an airline for eligible bookings made through Flybuys travel. Just enter your frequent flyer membership details during the booking process – there’s even an option to add more than one account if you are flying with multiple airlines for your trip.
Example: Earning Flybuys points for a travel booking
Say you regularly travel between Sydney and Melbourne for work and spend an average of $2,000 per month on flights and accommodation. In this scenario, you also look for the best deals on flights and hotels, rather than sticking to a single airline or hotel brand with its own loyalty program.
Based on your average travel costs, you could earn 2,000 Flybuys points per month by booking your trips through Flybuys travel and including your Flybuys membership details.
Over a year, you'd collect around 24,000 Flybuys points from your travel bookings. That's enough to redeem $120 worth of travel rewards through Flybuys travel, $120 worth of Flybuys dollars or 10,440 Velocity Points. If you're already spending this amount on travel each month, making the bookings through Flybuys travel means that you can search, compare and book competitive flight and hotel deals, while also earning points.
Ways to earn bonus Flybuys rewards through Flybuys travel
As well as the standard earn rate offered when you make a booking through Flybuys travel, there are opportunities to get even more points through specials and partner offers. The two main options are:
- Point specials. Flybuys travel runs specials offering even more points per $1 spent on bookings. Recent offers include 5 points per $1 for selected Malaysia Airlines bookings and 5 points per $1 for selected bookings to Amsterdam or Budapest. These offers regularly change though, so visit the Flybuys travel homepage and read the terms and conditions to understand how you can take advantage of a promotion.
- Coles credit cards. You can boost your points by paying for a Flybuys travel booking with a Coles credit card. The Coles Rewards Mastercard earns 2 points per $1 spent up to $3,000 per statement period (1 point per $1 thereafter) and the Coles No Annual Fee card earns 0.5 points per $1 spent. These points are in addition to standard rewards offered for bookings on Flybuys travel, which means you'll earn points twice (once through your card and once through Flybuys travel). Keep in mind that the Coles Rewards Mastercard also has an annual fee of $99, so ideally you'd want the value from your rewards to be worth more than this amount.
How many Flybuys points could I earn for spending on travel and supermarket shopping?
Say you're a Flybuys member who regularly shops at Coles supermarkets and goes on one holiday a year. Your average spending is:
- Shopping: $200 per week = $10,400 per year
- Travel: $5,000 per year
- Total: $15,400 per year
Previously, you've only earned Flybuys points for your grocery shopping. This year, you decide to book a trip through Flybuys travel and get a Coles Rewards Mastercard to use for these expenses. Your annual point earnings would be:
- Coles shopping: 10,400 points
- Flybuys travel: 5,000 points
- Coles Rewards Mastercard: 30,800 points (2 points per $1, with a total spend of $15,400)
- Total: 46,200 Flybuys points
You're also planning a trip to New Zealand to visit family in the New Year. You search Flybuys travel based on your trip dates and find return economy flights from Melbourne to Auckland on sale for $230. With 200 Flybuys points equalling $1 of a booking on Flybuys travel, this means you can use 46,000 points to redeem airfares for this trip.
In this scenario, the rewards you earn are also worth more than the credit card's annual fee. So, assuming you paid your balance in full to avoid interest charges, you'd get more value from the card than you paid for it. Just remember that the costs could be different based on your circumstances, so always consider whether shopping and using a credit card like this will work for you.
The wide range of airlines, hotels and car rental companies available on Flybuys travel means you can double-up on rewards and earn both Flybuys and loyalty points for any travel partner you book through the site. So now that you know more about this service (and can see the points potential through our case studies) you can use it to earn more rewards when you travel. If you want more information on how to earn and redeem points with Flybuys, see our Flybuys frequent flyer guide.Back to top
More guides on Finder
New Zealand travel bubble: Which travel stocks are a buy?
International travel is back on the agenda, so should travel stocks be in your portfolio?
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
The American Express Business Card
The American Express Business Card offers reliable service, a wide range of benefits, additional features, and competitive fees.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
Citi Rewards Card – Points & Gift Card Offer
Enjoy an introductory 90,000 bonus Citi reward Points, a $100 Coles eGift card, plus a reduced first-year annual fee with this Citi Rewards Card offer.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert