Want to get more flybuys rewards? Read this guide to find out how to increase your points balance with flybuys travel.
The flybuys travel booking service is designed to offer you everything you need to book your trips away. As with other online travel services, you can search, compare and book flights, accommodation and car hire from a range of providers. You can also earn flybuys points or redeem them as part of your booking.
With travel bookings often costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars, this service gives you an opportunity to maximise your rewards for a loyalty program that’s usually associated with groceries. Here, we look at how many points you can earn with flybuys travel, as well as ways to get even more.
How you can earn and redeem flybuys points with flybuys travel
While most frequent flyer programs earn points based on the distance travelled, flybuys travel offers points for every $1 you spend with this service. We’ve outlined the key details below to give you an idea of how you can use this service to earn or redeem rewards.
- Earn rate. You get 1 flybuys point per $1 spent on flybuys travel bookings.
- Redemption rate. With flybuys travel, 200 flybuys points are equal to $1 of a booking. To put this into perspective, each flybuys point you earn is worth 0.5 cents through this redemption. This is the same rate used when redeeming points for flybuys dollars and offers the greatest value for your points of any standard flybuys redemptions. Note that this means the points required for a redemption will vary based on the actual price of the ticket, so travelling during peak times will require more points than travelling at off-peak times.
- Points plus pay. You have the option of paying for flybuys travel bookings with a combination of points and cash. Note that there is a minimum points requirement of 2,000 for this type of payment.
- Frequent flyer program transfer rate. You can transfer flybuys points from your membership account to the Etihad Guest program, with 10 flybuys point equalling 4 Etihad Guest miles.
- Frequent flyer points. You can also earn frequent flyer points directly through an airline for eligible bookings made through flybuys travel. Just enter your frequent flyer membership details during the booking process – there’s even an option to add more than one account if you are flying with multiple airlines for your trip.
Earning flybuys points for travel bookings
Kelly travels between Sydney and Melbourne regularly for work. She currently spends an average of $2,000 per month on her flights and accommodation, but prefers to get the best deals rather than earn rewards through any one airline loyalty program.
Kelly regularly shops at Coles, though, and is a flybuys member. She decides to start using flybuys travel to search and compare flights and hotels before booking.
Based on her average spending, Kelly will earn 2,000 flybuys per month for her travel, or 24,000 per year. That’s enough points for a one-way economy flight from Sydney to Melbourne (approximately 21,000 points), or a one-night stay at BreakFree On Collins (Melbourne CBD, approximately 23,800 points).
As Kelly is already spending this amount each month, making the bookings through flybuys travel means that she can get something back for these necessary expenses.
Ways to earn bonus flybuys rewards through flybuys travel
As well as the standard earn rate offered when you make a booking through flybuys travel, there are opportunities to get even more points through specials and partner offers. The two main options are:
- Point specials. flybuys travel runs specials offering even more points per $1 spent on bookings. Recent offers include 5 points per $1 for selected Thai Airways bookings and 10 points per $1 for Air China bookings to Europe. These offers are changing all the time though, so make sure to visit the flybuys travel homepage and read the terms and conditions to understand how you can take advantage of the promotion.
- Coles credit cards. You can boost your points by paying for a flybuys travel booking with a Coles credit card. The Coles Rewards credit card earns 2 points per $1 spent and the Coles No Annual Fee card earns 0.5 points per $1 spent. These points are in addition to standard rewards offered for bookings on the site, which means you can earn 3 points per $1 on flybuys travel bookings with the Coles Rewards credit card, or 1.5 points per $1 with the Coles No Annual Fee credit card.
How Ron boosts his flybuys points balance through travel and everyday spending
Ron is a flybuys member who regularly shops at Coles supermarkets and goes on one holiday a year. His average spending is:
- Shopping: $200 per week = $10,400 per year
- Travel: $5,000 per year
- Total: $15,400 per year
Previously, Ron has only earned flybuys points for his grocery shopping. This year, he decides to book his trip through flybuys travel and get a Coles Rewards Mastercard to use for these expenses. His annual point earnings would be:
- Coles shopping: 10,400 points
- flybuys travel: 5,000 points
- Coles Rewards Mastercard: 30,800 points (2 points per $1 for $15,400)
- Total: 46,200
Ron is also planning a trip to New Zealand to visit his family in the New Year. He searches flybuys travel based on his trip dates and finds return economy flights from Melbourne to Auckland for $230. With 200 flybuys points equalling $1 of a booking on flybuys travel, this means Ron can use 46,000 points to redeem his airfares for this trip.
While these points are valuable a good way to reward his spending, Ron is also wary that the Coles Rewards Mastercard has an annual fee of $89. So, as he is spending and redeeming points, he is conscious that the value of the rewards he redeems outweighs this fee to make the card worth it. Luckily, Ron's trip from Melbourne to Auckland easily offsets this annual cost.
While flybuys is not a traditional frequent flyer reward program, the launch of its online travel service gives you more ways to earn and redeem flybuys rewards. You can boost your point earnings further with special flybuys travel offers and/or a Coles credit card that earns flybuys points for every $1 spent.
The wide range of airlines, hotels and car rental companies available on flybuys travel also means you can double up on rewards and earn both flybuys and loyalty points for any travel partner you book through the site. So now that you know more about this service (and can see the points potential through our case studies) you can take advantage of it when you travel to optimise your rewards. For more information on how to earn and redeem points with flybuys, see our flybuys frequent flyer guide.Back to top