How Aussie businesses consumed energy in 2015

Peter Terlato 13 July 2016

Energy plant Australia

Diesel was the most-purchased energy product.

Australian business coughed up $46.5 billion for energy products in 2014-15, according to the latest figures.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) reveals 71% of the total energy spend was consumed by large businesses (200+ employees), 16% by small businesses (less than 20 employees) and 13% by medium sized businesses (20-200 employees).

Australia's energy and fuel products include electricity, natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), diesel and petrol.

Of these sources, diesel was the most-purchased at $19.8 billion, with the mining industry accounting for more than a third (36.8%) of this expenditure.

70% of all diesel consumption was attributed to the mining and transport, postal and warehousing industries.

Other industries, mostly comprising non energy intensive businesses, purchased the largest amount of electricity, totalling $11.3 billion of a total $19 billion spend.

Non-renewable energy sources (including coal, natural gas and petroleum products) amounted to 88% of the total electricity produced by Australian businesses in 2014-15, while renewable energies (including hydro and wind) made up the remaining 12%.

Electricity, gas, water and waste services generated the highest electricity outputs in 2014-15, while Australia's mining industry was responsible for 36% of all energy production.

The manufacturing industry, responsible for 14% of the total energy output, generated 8.3 million gigajoules (GJ) of electricity from renewable sources, the largest being biofuel and bagasse.

Small businesses were responsible for more than 54% of total solar power generation in 2014-15, while large businesses accounted for the remaining 45%.

The graph below shows Australia's overall energy use by product type. Black coal represents the highest output (1,521.8 million GJ), followed by crude oil (1,015 million GJ) and natural gas (802.5 million GJ).

If you're looking to save hundreds of dollars on your energy bill, use our detailed energy guide to compare Aussie providers.

Picture: Shutterstock

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question