Where to book hotels with free cancellations
For when you want to snap up a bargain but aren't quite sure you can commit to your plans yet.
Plans change. That's a reality of life. But when you have to cancel or shift things around you don't want to be penalised for it. That's where free cancellation policies come in. They let you cancel without copping a fee for doing it.
All you have to do is know where to look and make sure you cancel within the grace period.
We've taken care of the first part. All you have to do is set a reminder for yourself for the second one.
Where to book hotels with free cancellations
This Australian accommodation site lets you book everything from apartments to bungalows in destinations across the world. In fact, you can book flights, holiday packages, activities, car hire and cruises on Wotif.
- Cancellation policy: Free cancellations on select hotels. Filter the payment type to "free cancellation" to pull up a list of flexible stays.
- Any other tips? Certain hotels let you reserve now and pay later. Couple this with the free cancellation policy for ultimate flexibility without being out of pocket.
Hotels, resorts, hostels, apartments, vacation rentals, private villas, bungalows and more – they're all on Agoda. This accommodation booking site lets you book long, month-long stays as well as flight and hotel packages.
- Cancellation policy: Free cancellation on select hotels. Look for the free cancellation button on each hotel listing.
- Any other tips? Agoda almost always has extra discount codes to cheapen its already bargain stays. Look out for them on the site or on Finder's website.
More than a hotel booking site, Booking.com offers you stays in the unique such as holiday homes and caravan parks. Accommodation is available in over 200 countries.
- Cancellation policy: Free cancellation on select bookings. Look for the "free cancellation" note on each listing.
- Any other tips? Sign up to become a member (it's free) to earn extra perks such as free breakfast and late check-out.
Book stays up to the wire. Lastminute cashes in on those unwanted rooms weeks, days and even hours before check-in to bring you the best price for a good night's rest.
- Cancellation policy: Free cancellation on select bookings. Many can be cancelled 24-hours prior to arrival.
- Any other tips? Discounts are available on refundable stays. Look out for the percentage-off button.
Oaks owns a mix of mid and high-end hotels, resorts and suites all across Australia. It also has a select number of properties in New Zealand, the UAE and India.
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations are fee-free until 22 December when made 24 hours prior to arrival. After this date, the cancellation policy depends on the hotel. Booking the Best Flexible Rate lets you cancel for free, usually 24 hours before your stay.
- Any other tips? Avoid the Best Value offer if you're unsure of your plans. This rate is the cheapest but you must prepay and won't receive any refund if you cancel.
Nab 5-star accommodation and service for a fraction of the price by checking out the deals on Luxury Escapes. They're up for a limited time only, so we recommend snapping them up as soon as you see something you like.
- Cancellation policy: Most deals come with a 7-day change of mind policy with a full refund.
- Any other tips? Love the deal but unsure of your dates? You can buy now and book later or make unlimited changes as long as they're made at least 21 days before your original check-in date for Australian properties and one day before your original check-in date for international properties.
Expedia is a one-stop shop for your travel plans. On it you can book stays, flights, cars, activities and cruises. Bundle them up into packages to save even more.
- Cancellation policy: Free cancellation on select hotels. When searching, filter by payment type for "free cancellation" options.
- Any other tips? Sign up to Expedia's loyalty program for special member discounts and to earn points which can be put towards trips.
Hotels, hostels, rentals and ryokans – hotels.com has them all under one roof. Its price guarantee keeps your holiday right on budget while its rewards program means every 10 nights stayed with them earns you one free night.
- Cancellation policy: Free cancellations on select hotels.
- Any other tips? Book hotels that let you collect stamps to get your free stays faster.
Choose from a range of hotels and apartments in Australia and around the world. Check out the offers section to save even more on long stays, weekend getaways and family holidays.
- Cancellation policy: Book a fully flexible rate for penalty-free cancellations up to the day of arrival. Non-flexible bookings made up until 30 September can be changed fee-free. Or, you can request a credit voucher for future use with the same hotel.
- Any other tips? Join the Accor loyalty program to earn points which can be redeemed for stays. Or, keep an eye out for a lower price as Accor price matches and takes an extra 25% off any competitor's rate.
Set yourself up for a romantic staycation, a family holiday, a golf break or a luxurious holiday at a Marriott hotel. These fine stays can be found across the nation and beyond with flexible payment options to boot.
- Cancellation policy: Free cancellations on select properties. Reservations with arrivals until 30 September can be changed or cancelled fee-free when made 24 hours prior to the arrival date.
- Any other tips? Sign up to the Marriott loyalty program for discounts, free Wi-Fi, mobile check-in and mobile-key access and to gain status levels that unlock even more benefits.
Available deals and promo codes for hotels with free cancellations
Ask an Expert