HostMonster web hosting
Take a test drive with a live demo before committing to your web-hosting package.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Not many web hosts let you jump right in and play around with real-time features, but HostMonster has been in the business a long time – since 1996 – and recognises the benefits of offering a live demo. This provider of thousands of websites claims to offer a reliable, high-powered service with maximum uptime. To help you understand the features showcased in the live demo, HostMonster provides customer service 24/7 by phone or live chat.
HostMonster pricing and plan options
What web hosting types do HostMonster offer?
HostMonster offers three different types of web hosting: Shared, VPS and dedicated. Shared hosting plans are the most popular as they are suitable for most small businesses, personal blogs and low-traffic websites. If your website grows too big for the starter plans, or if you want more out of your hosting, your account is scalable with VPS or dedicated hosting.
Shared web hosting
- Three plans are available: Basic, Plus and Prime.
- At the time of writing, prices start at US$4.95 per month.
- All plans include a free website builder, 24/7 technical support, free domain name and at least five email accounts.
- Additional services such as SpamExperts and Site Backup Pro are available for an additional monthly fee with Basic and Plus plans. They are included in the Prime plan.
- Four plans are available: Standard, Enhanced, Premium and Ultimate.
- At the time of writing, prices start at US$19.99 per month.
- Guaranteed server resources such as root access, at least 2GB RAM and 1-3TB storage per month.
- Cloud technology provides options for scalability.
- Three plans are available: Standard, Enhanced and Premium.
- At the time of writing, prices start at US$79.99 per month.
- Full root access to the server, mirrored storage and enhanced caching are included.
- Enhanced cPanel gives you more control of your server.
What hosting types are not offered by HostMonster?
HostMonster does not offer reseller hosting or cloud web-hosting services.
Pros and cons of HostMonster
- Shared, VPS and dedicated hosting plans available
- Free domain name
- Scalable plans to accommodate website growth
- Up-to-date hardware and equipment
- 24/7 customer support including live chat
- One-click WordPress install
- Three-year initial payment needed to get lowest rate
- Limited storage, email, databases and number of websites
- Any security beyond basic backups will cost extra
- No reseller or cloud web-hosting services are offered
- Windows servers are not available
How to sign up for a HostMonster account
- Register a domain name. You can register a new domain name with HostMonster or transfer one you already own. All HostMonster plans provide a free domain name in the form of a one-year registration coupon, though it’s not refundable and you’ll have to pay it back if you cancel your account. If you’re moving an existing website over to HostMonster, you can transfer up to five websites and 20 email accounts.
- Sign up for a plan. Make sure to carefully consider what resources your website will need to avoid paying for useless features. To get the best deal, you’ll have to agree to a three-year commitment. HostMonster offers a number of add-ons such as optional domain privacy, Site Backup Pro, Search Engine Jumpstart and SiteLock security for additional monthly fees. Regardless of the plan you select, your purchase is backed by a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Set up your new website. To make creating your website as easy as possible, HostMonster offers more than 100 open-source apps, plug-ins and themes that you can install at the click of a button. This includes WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Zen Cart, Dada Mail, phpBB, Magento and Roundcube mail.
Frequently asked questions about HostMonster
More guides on Finder
Two Broke Chicks Podcast Episode #102: The Passion Project with Sarah Davidson
Sal and Al chat to Seize The Yay podcast host, author and lawyer-turned-entrepreneur Sarah Davidson about turning your passion project into a full-time gig.
How to buy Marqeta (MQ) stock from Australia
Here's everything we know so far about the Marqeta IPO and how to buy in from Australia.
10 shows to stream if you like The Mandalorian
If you’re into The Mandalorian, there’s a good chance these top-notch series will be up your alley as well.
Squarespace promo codes October 2021
Explore the latest and greatest Squarespace promo codes here and save on high-quality website management services.
How to watch the 2021 AFL finals series live and free online
If you're looking to watch finals footy, here are your options to stream every AFL game on your TV or device of choice.
Podcast: 7 common mistakes first home buyers make
On this episode of the Pocket Money podcast, you'll learn how to purchase your first home like a pro with property expert Michael Yardney.
Podcast: The savvy shopper’s guide to Black Friday
If you're planning your Black Friday, you want to do it right. This is Pocket Money's comprehensive guide to saving big and shopping smart.
How to sell or trade your old iPhone
Find out how much you can get for trading in or selling your old iPhone and what you need to do to clear your phone before you sell it.
Four things to consider before going solar
Technology journalist Adam Turner details the things to think about before you make the leap to solar energy at home.
Best toasters in Australia
If you’re shopping for a new toaster, check out our guide to the best toasters in Australia before you buy.