HostMonster web hosting
Take a test drive with a live demo before committing to your web-hosting package.
Not many web hosts let you jump right in and play around with real-time features, but HostMonster has been in the business a long time – since 1996 – and recognises the benefits of offering a live demo. This provider of thousands of websites claims to offer a reliable, high-powered service with maximum uptime. To help you understand the features showcased in the live demo, HostMonster provides customer service 24/7 by phone or live chat.
HostMonster pricing and plan options
What web hosting types do HostMonster offer?
HostMonster offers three different types of web hosting: Shared, VPS and dedicated. Shared hosting plans are the most popular as they are suitable for most small businesses, personal blogs and low-traffic websites. If your website grows too big for the starter plans, or if you want more out of your hosting, your account is scalable with VPS or dedicated hosting.
Shared web hosting
- Three plans are available: Basic, Plus and Prime.
- At the time of writing, prices start at US$4.95 per month.
- All plans include a free website builder, 24/7 technical support, free domain name and at least five email accounts.
- Additional services such as SpamExperts and Site Backup Pro are available for an additional monthly fee with Basic and Plus plans. They are included in the Prime plan.
- Four plans are available: Standard, Enhanced, Premium and Ultimate.
- At the time of writing, prices start at US$19.99 per month.
- Guaranteed server resources such as root access, at least 2GB RAM and 1-3TB storage per month.
- Cloud technology provides options for scalability.
- Three plans are available: Standard, Enhanced and Premium.
- At the time of writing, prices start at US$79.99 per month.
- Full root access to the server, mirrored storage and enhanced caching are included.
- Enhanced cPanel gives you more control of your server.
What hosting types are not offered by HostMonster?
HostMonster does not offer reseller hosting or cloud web-hosting services.
Pros and cons of HostMonster
- Shared, VPS and dedicated hosting plans available
- Free domain name
- Scalable plans to accommodate website growth
- Up-to-date hardware and equipment
- 24/7 customer support including live chat
- One-click WordPress install
- Three-year initial payment needed to get lowest rate
- Limited storage, email, databases and number of websites
- Any security beyond basic backups will cost extra
- No reseller or cloud web-hosting services are offered
- Windows servers are not available
How to sign up for a HostMonster account
- Register a domain name. You can register a new domain name with HostMonster or transfer one you already own. All HostMonster plans provide a free domain name in the form of a one-year registration coupon, though it’s not refundable and you’ll have to pay it back if you cancel your account. If you’re moving an existing website over to HostMonster, you can transfer up to five websites and 20 email accounts.
- Sign up for a plan. Make sure to carefully consider what resources your website will need to avoid paying for useless features. To get the best deal, you’ll have to agree to a three-year commitment. HostMonster offers a number of add-ons such as optional domain privacy, Site Backup Pro, Search Engine Jumpstart and SiteLock security for additional monthly fees. Regardless of the plan you select, your purchase is backed by a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Set up your new website. To make creating your website as easy as possible, HostMonster offers more than 100 open-source apps, plug-ins and themes that you can install at the click of a button. This includes WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Zen Cart, Dada Mail, phpBB, Magento and Roundcube mail.