Owned by the Northern Territory Government, TIO strives to deliver high quality products and services.
TIO operates on a commercial basis and complies with industry-wide standards, offering a wide array of financial services to its customers.
This includes personal and property insurance, as well as business insurance, home loans, motor accident compensation and savings accounts.
TIO was purchased by People's Choice Credit Union and no longer offers any lending products, this page is for information purposes only. For details on home loans please visit the People's Choice Credit Union page.
What does TIO do?
TIO focuses its efforts on two separate home loan packages: the Essentials Loan and the Home Loan Package. TIO has options for both fixed and variable rates of interest and offers flexible repayment structures.
There are also many benefits included with the loans offered up by TIO, including offset accounts, redraw facilities, pre-approved credit cards, waived fees, interest-only options, discounted interest rates and maternity leave/repayment holidays. There is also a quick online application process that takes around 20 minutes to complete.
Home loans offered by TIO
Home Loan Package
The Home Loan Package can be procured at a variable or fixed rate. Repayments are available in principal and interest or interest-only, and there’s no upfront establishment fee or ongoing account-keeping fees.
You can open an Essential Savings Account with TIO in order to lower the interest rate you will be paying for the loan. This offset ability goes along with the redraw facility that is available with this type of loan. The loan is portable, comes with repayment holidays and security substitution. As an added bonus, the Home Loan Package comes with a pre-approved credit card that has a waived annual fee.
The Essentials Loan can be had with a fixed or variable rate, and lets you pay only for the additional features that you want to use. Additional repayments can be made at any time to reduce the term of your loan, which could save you thousands of dollars over the life of your loan. Any of the additional repayments that you make can be withdrawn via the redraw facility, giving you access to extra money when you need it.
Pros and cons
- Redraw facility. TIO’s home loan offerings come with handy redraw facilities. This means that if you ever find yourself in a time of financial need, you can access the extra repayments that you have made to get your hands on some extra cash.
- Family guarantee. You can use the help or a family member or guarantor to borrow 100% of the value of the property. This requires the family member or guarantor to use the equity in their home as additional security for a portion of your loan amount.
- Home Loan Package. The Home Loan Package from TIO bundles many features into a single package.
- Only two classes of loans. TIO only has two categories of loans, meaning less choice than you may find with other lenders.
How to apply for a mortgage from TIO
TIO makes applying for a home loan a simple process which can be done online in a matter of minutes. Here’s how:
- Fill out an application online. First you will have to register with TIO’s website. The application itself should not take more than half an hour. You’ll be required to provide some personal, employment, asset, property and borrowing information in the application process.
- A TIO customer service representative will contact you. After 1-3 business days, you will be contacted by a mortgage expert who will help you through the rest of the application process.
- Purchase building insurance. Make sure you have building insurance in place before going forward with the loan application process. TIO will not approve any loan until it is sure that the property is protected.
Documents needed to apply for a TIO home loan
TIO will want to see some documentation regarding your personal identity. This is to ensure that you are who you say you are when applying for a home loan. Documents might include a passport or drivers license, as well as supporting documentation such as bank statements or birth certificates.
You will have to submit some documents regarding the property you are buying. These will include the:
- Contract of sale. This outlines the details of the property sale including the price that you’re paying for the property.
- Certificate of title. The certificate of title shows TIO that the person who is selling you the property actually has ownership rights over it.
- Transfer of land. The transfer of land outlines the fact that the land itself will be transferred into your name after the sale.
Financial documentation is necessary for TIO to understand how much of a lending risk you pose to them. This is an important aspect of the lending process and you’ll need to provide:
- Information on assets. Documents displaying your ownership of vehicles, real estate, shares or savings should be shown to your lender.
- Details of your expenses and liabilities. Expenses and liabilities include credit card debt, loan debt, child support payments, utility bills and other outstanding bills that you owe.
- Proof of income. If you earn a wage or salary you’ll need to provide pay slips, a letter from your employer stating your income, and information on wage deposits into a transaction account over a three-month period. If you are self-employed you need to provide personal tax returns.
TIO offers viable home loan options to prospective borrowers, but make sure to compare your options and seek expert advice to ensure you end up with the best loan deal.