The state-by-state guide to the First Home Owners Grant

Find out if you're eligible for the First Home Owners Grant.

Last updated:

A coloured map of Australia.
Find out which grants and concessions may be available to you so you can pursue your dream of home ownership sooner.

What's on this page?

Grants and Concessions Available for Each State

Below you’ll find the grants and stamp duty concessions available in each state. Remember there are a host of eligibility requirements for the grant and duty concessions which can vary from state to state, so be sure to visit your state’s office of revenue website and find out if you’re eligible.

Am I eligible for the First Home Owners Grant?

The eligibility criteria for first home buyers differs slightly between the states and territories but generally, eligibility criteria includes:

  • You must be a first home buyer as a person, not as a company or trust.
  • At least one applicant must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen.
  • Each applicant must be at least 18 years old.
  • You or your spouse, partner or co-purchaser must not have previously owned an interest in land in Australia which had a residence on it, before 1 July 2000.
  • You or your spouse or partner cannot have lived in a residential property which you owned from 1 July 2000.
  • You or your spouse, partner or co-purchaser may not have claimed the grant previously.
  • You must occupy your first home as your principal place of residence within 12 months of the construction or purchase of your home and the minimum period of occupancy is 12 continuous months.

There are other state-specific conditions as well, which will depend on the state you’re buying in.

Watch our latest Australia property market update

.video-player__heading__main {
.video-player__overlay:after {

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

133 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    DanielAugust 16, 2019

    Are first home owners subject to land withholding tax even if they don’t receive tax credits?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniAugust 17, 2019Staff

      Hi Daniel,

      Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.

      Withholding may apply if you purchase new residential property like land. To verify further on this matter, please get in touch with you state’s revenue office.

      I hope this helps.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


  2. Default Gravatar
    TylerAugust 2, 2019


    Am I eligible if I buy a house interstate? I’m victorian but keen to purchase in QLD. Secondly, how many months payslips is required? I can easily deposit covered but not working at the moment.
    Thank you!

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      NikkiAugust 3, 2019Staff

      Hi Tyler,

      Thanks for your question! Yes, you can be eligible to buy a house interstate. As it says on the ATO website, you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or applying with someone who is). Note that every state have different rules on FHOG so make sure to check your current state’s FHOG rules and the one in QLD.

      As far as QLD is concerned, you can be granted an FHOG provided that you or your spouse must not have previously received a first homeowner grant in any state or territory of Australia. If you received a grant that you later paid back, together with any penalty, you may be able to reapply for the grant.

      Hope this helps and best of luck on your new home!


  3. Default Gravatar
    ShaneJuly 25, 2019

    Hi guys my name is Shane. Just a query regarding first home loan grants in WA. I used to own a house on the Gold Coast that was 50/50 tenants in common with my brother. At the time I wasn’t eligible for first home loan grant because my brother had already owned a house therefore, I missed out. If I was to buy a house in WA with my girlfriend(who’s never owned a home), will I have to miss out again because I once owned a place even though I never received a grant?


    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniJuly 25, 2019Staff

      Hi Shane,

      Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.

      You’re correct. You won’t be eligible for the FHOG as you have owned a property before in Australia and if you are buying with your girlfriend, she automatically doesn’t qualify also since the co-buyer has owned a house before in Australia.

      I hope this helps.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


  4. Default Gravatar
    Chris DJuly 9, 2019

    What exactly does “buying or building a new home ” mean. Does buying an established home mean the grant is not available?
    VIC – Is there a first home buyers grant?
    Yes, the $10,000 First Home Owner Grant is available to eligible applicants buying or building a new home valued at up to $750,000. A $20,000 First Home Owner Grant is available to applicants buying or building a new home in regional Victoria valued up to $750,000.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      FayeJuly 10, 2019Staff

      Hi Chris,

      Thanks for contacting Finder.

      Yes. You are correct. The First home owners buying or building a new home may apply for a grant of up to $10,000. The current FHOG applies to new residential dwellings only and does not apply to established homes, vacant land, business premises, holiday houses or minor renovations to an existing home.

      I hope that helps.

      Kind Regards,


  5. Default Gravatar
    ScrivenerFebruary 7, 2019

    I was my mother’s carer for many years and lived at home. When she died, intestate, in 2009 I received a one-third share of the house. I was allowed to live in the house rent-free. After a couple of years, the other two decided the property should be rented out and I moved in with my sister. A couple years further on my sister moved house to a locality I wasn’t keen on moving to so I moved in with a friend (platonic). Then last year “Mum’s” house was sold and I got my one-third share which has left me just enough to buy a modest unit or villa.

    I would be interested to know if I am eligible for the FHOG given that I meet all the other criteria (natural person, Aussie etc).

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniFebruary 11, 2019Staff

      Hi Scrivener,

      Thank you for getting in touch with finder.

      Please note that state grants and FHOG eligibility requirements vary by state. It is also important to consider which type of house you are purchasing as well as its cost to find out if you’re eligible for a First Home Owners Grant. You may check your state’s condition on FHOG by visiting or contacting your state’s revenue office.

      I hope this helps.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


  6. Default Gravatar
    September 17, 2018

    Am I eligible to apply for the first home owners grant to use as a deposit for a loan in Qld? I am also on the pension and not working, a good credit rating, have had prior personal loans that have been paid off on time. Would I be eligible to apply for a home loan with suitable providers?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JhezSeptember 17, 2018Staff


      Thank you for your comment.

      Using your FHOG as a deposit may be possible. Generally, if you are looking to use the FHOG as your deposit, the following requirements need to be met:

      – You need to be renting at the moment and you need to show a satisfactory rental payment history over the last 6 months, to show you can afford loan repayments once you get your first home
      – The property you are purchasing must be a ‘brand new’ apartment/townhouse/house that has never been lived in (as the Grants only apply to new houses)
      – Good credit history
      – Sufficient income to support the home loan repayments
      – The Grant must not exceed 5% of the total property purchase price

      Please note that the eligibility for the FHOG may vary per state, so best to visit your state’s office of revenue website.

      You may please check our home loans for pensioners guide on this page. It would be best to contact a mortgage broker so you can discuss options based on your needs.

      Should you wish to have real-time answers to your questions, try our chat box on the lower right corner of our page.


  7. Default Gravatar
    EjAugust 30, 2018

    I am buying land and building a house in NSW. I have concession for stamp duty on the land. For the FHOG for the building of a house, does the $750,000 include both the land and the build or is it just the build?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniSeptember 3, 2018Staff

      Hi EJ,

      Thank you for getting in touch with finder.

      Effective from 1 July 2017, the First Home Owner Grant in NSW (New Home) is capped at $750,000 for contracts to construct a new home or to owner build, including the land.

      I hope this helps.

      Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any other enquiries.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


  8. Default Gravatar
    MegAugust 5, 2018

    If we were to buy our first home in Vic and go travelling overseas for 12 months, but store all of our belongings at the property and not rent it out, would that count as being our principle property to still be eligible for the grant?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniAugust 15, 2018Staff

      Hi Meg,

      Thank you for getting in touch with finder.

      That’s a nice question!

      The residency requirement necessitates that you must intend to live in your home for at least a year as your PPR within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction of your home. With two or more owners on title, at least one of them has to satisfy the residency requirement so if you would be overseas and someone would be home – that’s absolutely fine. Please note that it is not necessary for the same owner to live in the property for the entire 12 months .

      If the whole family needs to be overseas and no one would be home, I suggest that you speak to the state revenue office representative regarding that. You must tell the state revenue office of Victoria in writing as soon as possible if circumstances beyond your control prevent you from satisfying this requirement of this grant you have received.

      Please note your home must be lawfully fit for residential occupation to be considered your PPR.

      I hope this helps.

      Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any other enquiries.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


  9. Default Gravatar
    WaydeJune 7, 2018

    Can the FHOG be used to purchase an overseas first home?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      NikkiJune 8, 2018Staff

      Hi Wayde,

      Thanks for getting in touch!

      The FHOG can only be used for a home/investment in Australia.

      Hope this clarifies!


  10. Default Gravatar
    ShaneOctober 31, 2017

    I bought my first home about 2years ago i was never advised of these grants i didn’t receive anything can i still claim as i bought new i have spent thousands fixing it due to poor workmanship is it to late to claim

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      HaroldOctober 31, 2017Staff

      Hi Shane,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      The grants vary by state. It would be nice that you will seek for professional legal advice pertaining to the state where you bought your home. For your reference please read the guide provided on this page. In relation to this, due to two years have passed you may ineligible for the grant.

      I hope this information has helped.


Ask a question
Go to site