Now you can manage your home loan conveniently.
Many financial providers are now offering home loans with 24/7 access as s standard feature, allowing you to enjoy a wide range of services any time and day. This makes it easier for you to check on your loan statements, review transactions, alter repayments and even apply for other products from anywhere and most importantly, at any time.
Access to these accounts is granted through various platforms including phone banking, mobile apps and online banking as well.
If your bank has an online portal, it's most likely that you'll have on-demand access to your accounts, except when there is maintenance.
Compare lenders that offer 24/7 access to your home loan
How does a home loan with 24/7 access benefit me?
Long gone are the days when you had to walk into your bank to get your home loan statement printed out. With these home loans, you can perform various tasks from the comfort of your home without worrying about working hours.
You can access your accounts through internet banking to view your transactions and balance. Phone banking is also available along with SMS banking and mobile apps which you would need to download to your mobile phone. Most of these access routes do not charge, but this will differ depending on the financial provider.
John wants on-demand access to his loan accountJohn Doe, a businessman from Sydney is currently out of the country on a business trip and due to unavoidable circumstances, he has to extend his time away. He banks with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia and has downloaded the CommBank app. There’s just one problem, he needs to make his home loan repayments on time to avoid penalties.The key feature that stands out with these home loans is the convenience you get with 24/7 access, regardless of your time zone.
Usually, he makes this transaction through a cheque but because he is out of the country, he cannot send the cheque to his bank on schedule. So what can he do? Well, all John has to do is take out his phone, go the CBA mobile app and transfer the funds to make his monthly repayment on time. He prefers to use BPAY so chooses the BPAY option.
What do I need to know about around-the-clock access to my mortgage?
- There are different types of access available. When comparing home loans with 24/7 access, the first thing you might want to consider is the type of access you get. As mentioned, there are various ways to access these accounts from mobile apps to online banking on your computer and tablet. Find out what type of transactions can be conducted through these access points.
- There may be fees and charges. Typically a lender won't charge you if you conduct your transactions online as there little to no overhead costs. Most service providers make these services free as they try to encourage their customers to use them as opposed to going to the bank for simple tasks. However, conduct your due diligence and make sure this is the case. The last thing you need are extra charges on your account. Compare the different fees that apply when you conduct transactions with internet, phone banking and the other access points.
- It can be more flexible. Another feature to consider is flexibility. Does the account only allow you to check on your transactions or can you perform multiple tasks such as changing your repayment schedule? Another thing to note that in most cases, 24/7 access is available if you access to an internet connection.
- Is it secure? With greater access comes a greater security risk. Compare the security measures put in place to protect your transactions and data. Look for the little padlock symbol in your browser to ensure the site you're on is secure.
What are the advantages and considerations of a home loan with 24/7 access?
- Convenience. You can access your account from any location, even outside Australia. These home loan accounts allow you to avoid long queues at the bank. Simply log in to your account from the comfort of your office, home, when shopping or even at the coffee shop.
- 24/7 access. You don’t have to wait until your bank or credit union opens to access the services you need. You have access to your account any time and day including public holidays and weekends.
- Efficiency. It’s possible to manage all accounts held by the service provider from one central place. Whether it's your transaction accounts, home loan account or credit cards.
- Flexibility. Your mortgage is the path to owning one the biggest assets in your life. You’d want it be flexible and tailored to your needs.
- Security risks. You need to be very careful especially when using online banking. Risks such as identity theft and fraud are high when you use public wireless connections to access your account.
- User errors. User errors may occur due to upgrades and downtimes. An error could arise leading you to assume that your transaction hasn’t gone through when in fact it has or vice versa.
What are some things I should avoid to ensure my online safety?
- Avoid unsecured wireless connections. Unsecured wireless connections make it easy for fraudsters to view and access your personal information.
- Avoid using the same password. These access points all require passwords. It’s always safer to have different passwords for your different access points. Also, do not make the password obvious and needless to say, do not share your password.