Shannons Home Insurance

If you're a motoring enthusiast and after home insurance, Shannons could have the right policy for you.

Shannons home and contents insurance is home insurance for motoring enthusiasts. It covers your buildings and contents against loss or damage caused by storms, floods, explosions, fire, theft, vandalism and much more, including cover for rebuilding costs and new for old contents replacement.

With Enthusiast Cover, you get $10,000 worth of cover for automotive memorabilia as well as for parts and tools stored at your home. Other benefits include cover for locks and keys, for temporary accommodation costs and for visitors’ contents. You also get $20 million of legal liability cover if you have to pay compensation for death or bodily injury or for accidental loss or damage to someone else’s property.

We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Shannons website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.

Compare home insurance fast

What levels of cover does Shannons offer?

Shannons home insurance provides cover for the following situations:

  • Damage for accidental glass breakage, earthquakes, electrical motor burnout, escape of liquid, fire, explosions, floods, impact, malicious damage and vandalism, riot and civil commotion, storms, lightning, hail, rainwater, theft, attempted theft and burglary
  • Exploratory costs
  • Rebuilding fees
  • New for old replacement of contents
  • Locks and keys
  • Temporary accommodation costs
  • Removal of debris
  • Cover for contents that are in storage, in transit, in the open air or temporarily removed from your home
  • Cover for guests’ or visitors’ contents
  • $10,000 cover for automotive memorabilia, parts and tools
  • $20 million legal liability cover
  • Optional accidental damage cover for your home and contents
  • Optional cover for specified or unspecified personal effects when away from home
  • Flexible premium payment options
  • Multi-policy discount to reward loyal customers

What kind of exclusions are there?

Shannons won’t pay your home and contents insurance claim in the following situations:

  • It is for loss or damage caused by a flood, a named cyclone, a bushfire or a grassfire within the first 72 hours of cover starting.
  • Your home fails to comply with building laws or regulations.
  • It is for cracking, chipping, scratching, denting, splitting or tearing that is not caused by an insured event.
  • Any act by you that is intended to cause loss, damage or liability.
  • It is the result of the incorrect siting of buildings.
  • It is the result of a power surge or a mechanical, electrical or electronic malfunction (except where caused by an electric motor being burnt out by an electrical current or by an insured event).
  • It is the result of malicious, unlawful or dishonest acts by tenants.
  • It is for water entering your home because you failed to adequately maintain your home or because of a structural defect, faulty design or workmanship.
  • If water enters your home through any opening made for the purpose of renovations or repairs.
  • It is caused by any process of cleaning, repairing or restoring that involves the use of chemicals.
  • It is caused by wear and tear, lack of maintenance or inherent defect.
  • It arises due to rust, corrosion, mould, mildew or rot.
  • It arises because you fail to keep your home in good repair.
  • It is caused by insects, vermin, rodents, wildlife, domestic pets or birds.
  • It is caused by the actions of trees or tree roots.
  • Your home has been unoccupied for 60 or more consecutive days (unless the insurer has agreed to continue providing cover).
  • It is for consequential loss of any kind.
  • It is caused by the lawful seizure or repossession of your home, contents or personal effects.

What's the excess like?

The excess is the amount you need to pay when you make a claim. Your certificate of insurance will show any excesses that apply to your policy. A basic excess applies to all claims that you make for your home, contents, personal effects, enthusiast items and legal liability.

The standard basic excess amount is $200, but Shannons may impose a higher excess after taking into account your claims history. You can also choose to vary your basic excess to adjust your premium amount. You can adjust your basic excess between $100 and $1,000.

Who is eligible for Shannons home insurance?

Shannons home and contents insurance policies are available for Australian residential properties. If you’re a motoring enthusiast looking for cover for your home and contents, compare the features of Shannons home insurance with the benefits offered by a variety of other insurers.

How do I make a claim?

If you need to make a claim on your Shannons home and contents insurance policy, you must phone the insurer immediately to provide full details of the event. You can contact Shannons 24 hours a day, and after you’ve made a claim you will be advised of what you need to do next. To make a claim, you must do the following:

  • Immediately forward any correspondence relating to any prosecution, inquest or hearing to the insurer.
  • Report theft, attempted theft, burglary or malicious damage to the police and obtain a copy of the report number.
  • Do everything you can to prevent any further loss or damage.
  • Provide any information or documentation that Shannons deems relevant to your claim.

Other questions you may have

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site