QBE landlord insurance review | Find out if QBE has a policy for YOU

QBE Landlord Insurance

Read our QBE landlord insurance review to see if it has a policy that can protect your property.

Picture not described

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

QBE Insurance has been operating in Australia for over 125 years and was recently awarded our Green Insurer of the Year. In addition to car, business and home insurance, you can also get QBE landlord insurance, which can look after both your property and the things inside it.

This review will break down the different policies on offer from QBE and show you what each one covers.

warningSome landlord insurance policies have temporarily removed benefits such as rent default and a few others because of the pandemic. Make sure to check this with the insurer before deciding on a policy.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the QBE website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with Finder.
Compare landlord insurance fast

Policies you can get through QBE

QBE offers three types of landlord insurance:

Building and contents

This can cover you for the cost of repairs to your property as well as replacement costs if an insured event, such as storm, fire, theft, flood or tenant theft, damages or destroys it. It will also cover the contents of your property. It can also cover you for loss of rent if your property becomes uninhabitable.

Buildings cover only

If your property is unfurnished, you probably don't need to pay for contents cover. A buildings cover policy makes more sense since it will cover you for the property itself, which includes any fixed items like sheds and built-in swimming pools.

Contents cover only

If your property is in a strata building, then a contents-only policy can look after the belongings inside the house. This is particularly helpful if the property is furnished and can cover you for insured events like fires, theft and more.

Here's a breakdown of the QBE landlord insurance policy.
So you know exactly what you're covered for, we've checked out QBE landlord insurance's product disclosure statement (PDS) and made a list of the insured events.

Insured eventBuildings and contentsBuildings cover onlyContents cover only
Earthquake or tsunami
Escape of liquid
Accidental glass breakage
Malicious act
Falling tree or branch
Electrical motor burnout
Damage by animals
Accidental damage

The list below outlines some of the added benefits of a QBE landlord insurance policy.

More benefitsBuildings and contentsBuildings cover onlyContents cover only
Emergency temporary repairsReasonable costReasonable costReasonable cost
Temporary storage of contents20% of your contents sum insured
20% of your contents sum insured
Mortgage discharge$2,000$2,000
Environmental upgrades
Loss of rent – formal lease
Up to 24 months of rent or 20% of your buildings sum insuredUp to $25,000 or 20% of your contents sum insured
Loss of rent – casual let$25,000$25,000$25,000
Building materials awaiting installation$2,000$2,000
Clean-up costs following a death$35,000$35,000$35,000
Chemical decontamination costs$35,000$35,000$35,000
Damage by tenants’ pets$4,000$4,000$4,000
Loss of rent due to forced evacuation by government authorityCost of rent – up to 60 daysCost of rent – up to 60 daysCost of rent – up to 60 days
Damage by emergency services
Legal liability$30,000,000$30,000,000$30,000,000

Here are the add-ons you can get with QBE.

Optional – Rent default by tenantBuildings and contentsBuildings cover onlyContents cover only
Tenant leavesUp to 15 weeks of rent or $15,000Up to 15 weeks of rent or $15,000Up to 15 weeks of rent or $15,000
Failure to vacateUp to 15 weeks of rent or $15,000Up to 15 weeks of rent or $15,000Up to 15 weeks of rent or $15,000
Death, murder or suicide at the property addressUp to 15 weeks of rent or $15,000Up to 15 weeks of rent or $15,000Up to 15 weeks of rent or $15,000
Release from lease obligation due to hardship or family domestic violenceUp to 6 weeks of rent or $6,000Up to 6 weeks of rent or $6,000Up to 6 weeks of rent or $6,000
Legal costs$6,000$6,000$6,000

QBE's excess options

Whenever you make a claim on your insurance, you usually have to pay an excess – the amount you need to contribute towards the costs of repairs or replacement. With QBE, the following excesses may apply:

  • Basic excess. This applies to all claims unless QBE lets you know otherwise.
  • Imposed excess. This is sometimes applied depending on your claims history.
  • Renovation, alteration, addition or repair excess. This applies when QBE has agreed to cover you while you're undertaking renovations, alterations or repairs at the insured address and damage occurs that's covered by an insured event like a fire or escape of water and is a result of work being carried out.
  • Unoccupied property excess. This applies when you don't tell QBE that your rental property will be unoccupied for more than 90 consecutive days, and you make a claim for an incident that occurs after this time. The excess may increase if the property is unoccupied for 366 days or more.
  • Unoccupied property excess for agreed period. This applies when you've told QBE about your rental property being unoccupied for more than 90 consecutive days and you make a claim for an incident that occurs more than 90 days after the property was first unoccupied.

Making a claim with QBE

To make a QBE landlord insurance claim, take the following steps:

  • As soon as it is safe to do so and if possible, take steps to prevent further loss or damage to your property.
  • Report the incident to the police if something was lost or stolen and get a copy of the report to send to QBE.
  • As soon as you can, you can call QBE on 133 723 to make your claim. Alternatively, you can lodge it online at qbe.com/au.

Frequently asked questions

Can I get cover for loss of rental income?

Yes. QBE covers loss of rental income if your property becomes unliveable (e.g. your tenants are unable to safely live at the property). This includes contents cover only.

Does QBE landlord insurance offer flood cover?

Yes. A QBE landlord insurance property will cover you for damage caused by storm, storm surge, rain, hail or flood.

Does QBE also offer home insurance?

Yes. You can find out more about its home insurance policy here.

What company underwrites QBE landlord insurance?

QBE landlord insurance is issued and underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site