OnePath Home Insurance

Compare OnePath Home Insurance and find out if it is the right cover for your home and contents needs

OnePath has been helping Australians look after their wealth and manage their insurance needs for more than 130 years. A subsidiary of the ANZ Group, OnePath offers a variety of insurance solutions to Australian homeowners, including Home Insurance, Building Cover, Contents Cover and several optional extras.

Home building and contents policies are co-issued by QBE Insurance, one of the world’s top 20 general insurance companies, and OnePath General Insurance Pty Limited. This gives customers the peace of mind of knowing that they are dealing with insurers backed by impressive global financial strength. does not currently have access to this home insurance brand. You may wish to compare options available on the home insurance homepage.

OnePath Home Insurance cover options

OnePath Home Insurance

OnePath’s home insurance policy combines the cover provided under OnePath’s Home Building Cover and Home Contents Cover. It offers full building replacement cover when your home is destroyed by fire and needs to be rebuilt from scratch, as well as cover for rebuilding fees, demolition and removal of debris, and damage caused by storm, rainwater and wind. Customers aged over 50 years can also take advantage of extra benefits including savings on their premium.

  • This policy combines cover for your building and its contents. It offers full building replacement cover when your home is destroyed by fire, as well as cover for rebuilding fees, demolition and removal of debris.

Cover is includes:

  • Storm
  • Rainwater
  • Wind
  • Flood
  • Fire
  • Landslide
  • Subsidence
  • Accidental glass breakage
  • Impact damage
  • $20 million of personal liability.

OnePath Home Building Cover

OnePath’s Home Building policy covers all the reasonable costs incurred to rebuild your home. It covers your home against risks such as fire and explosion, flood, storm, earthquake, theft and burglary, and malicious damage.
OnePath’s Home Building policy covers all the reasonable costs incurred to rebuild your home following a wide selection of events. It covers your home against risks such as:

  • Fire and explosion
  • Flood
  • Storm
  • Lightning
  • Accidental breakage
  • Impacts
  • Escape of liquid
  • Earthquake
  • Theft and burglary
  • Malicious damage
  • Removal of debris
  • Alternative accommodation costs are also included as part of your cover
  • $20 million of legal liability cover is also included.

OnePath Home Contents Cover

OnePath Home Contents Cover covers your possessions up to the insured limit set on your policy. Once again, loss and damage caused by fire and explosion, flood, storm, earthquake, theft and burglary, and malicious damage are all covered.

  • $20 million of liability cover
  • Fire and explosion
  • Flood
  • Storm
  • Lightning
  • Accidental breakage
  • Impacts
  • Earthquake
  • Theft and burglary
  • Malicious damage
  • Escape of liquid.
  • $3,000 for high value items.

You can also choose to add the following optional extras to your OnePath policy:

  • Accidental damage to buildings
  • Accidental damage or loss to contents
  • Cover for your personal effects and valuables when they’re away from home
  • Domestic workers’ compensation.
Accidental glass breakageYesYes
Additional benefits for over 50sYesYes
Alternate temporary accommodation (including pets)YesYes
Automatic membership forPride, OnePath's insurance customer loyalty programYesYes
Contents in the open airNoYes
Contents in transitNoYes
Demolition and removal of debrisYesYes
Electrical motor burnout (fusion) & power surgeYesYes
Full building replacement - underinsurance protectionYesNo
Impact damageYesYes
Landslide and subsidenceYesYes
Natural Events such as fire, storm, rainwater, flood or windYesYes
New for old replacement regardless of ageYesYes
Pay by the month at no extra chargeYesYes
Personal liabilityYesYes
Rebuilding fees*YesNo
Replacement of locks & keysYesYes
Storage coverNoYes
Trees, plants and shrubsYesYes
Water or liquid damageYesYes
Back to top

Do you know what is excluded by OnePath?

There are certain circumstances under which your OnePath Home Insurance claim will not be paid, such as:
  • If it is for damage that occurs outside your period of insurance.
  • If it relates to war, rebellion or revolution.
  • If it arises from the lawful damage, destruction or confiscation of your property.
  • If your claim is caused by mildew or atmospheric or climatic conditions.
  • If it is for damage to a heating element.
  • If it is for a storm surge, except where the surge happens as the result of a flood.
  • If it is for erosion.
  • If it is for action by the sea, except in case of a tsunami.
The following exclusions also apply to building and contents cover. Your claim will not be paid if:
  • It is caused by settling, shrinkage or movement of the earth.
  • It is for shrinking or expansion of walls or foundations.
  • It is for rust, depreciation or wear and tear.
  • The loss or damage is caused by vermin, birds or insects.
  • It is caused by the roots of trees, plants or grass.
  • It results from a defect in an item, or from structural defects or faulty workmanship.
  • Your claim is for mechanical electrical breakdown, unless it is for an electric motor burning out.
Under liability cover, your claim will not be paid if:
  • It is for personal injury to you, someone who lives with you, or your employee.
  • It is for loss or damage to property that you own, that is owned by someone who lives with you, or that is owned by your employee.
  • It is for penalties or punitive damages against you.
  • It is caused by home repairs or renovations costing more than $75,000.
  • It is caused by any illegal personal profit or advantage.
  • It results from a disease transmitted by you.
  • It relates to your business, profession or occupation.
  • It relates to liability based on an agreement or contract you enter into.
  • It involves the use, removal of, or exposure to asbestos.
  • It is caused by any deliberate or intentional acts by you, or by someone else acting on your behalf.
  • It arises from any dishonest, fraudulent or malicious act or omission.
Back to top

How much does home insurance cost?

There are several factors that can influence the price of your OnePath Home Insurance premiums, including:

  • How much cover do you want? Choosing only one of Building or Contents Cover will obviously be cheaper than choosing a policy that covers both your home and your possessions. The sum insured amount you select will also influence the cost of premiums.
  • What is your claims history like? This will affect the insurer’s assessment of your risk profile.
  • How much excess are you willing to pay? In exchange for paying a higher excess when you make a claim, you can enjoy the benefits of cheaper insurance premiums.
  • How old are your building and contents? What are they constructed of? How valuable are your contents? Where is your home located? All of these factors can affect how much your OnePath Home Insurance will cost.
Back to top

What does an excess do?

You’ll need to pay an excess to contribute to the cost of processing your claim, and OnePath requires customers to pay only one excess for each claim caused by an insured event. In some cases, customers will have both building and contents cover under the same policy but have a different excess applying to each form of cover. If you then make a claim under both your buildings cover and your contents cover, you’ll only have to pay the higher of the two excess amounts.

However, claims resulting from an earthquake or tsunami will require you to pay an additional excess of $250.

Back to top

Ways to save on your premiums

  • Multiple policies. You can take advantage of a premium discount if you hold multiple policies with OnePath.
  • Loyalty discounts. OnePath also rewards customers for their loyalty by cutting the cost of premiums for long-time customers.
  • Seniors discounts. OnePath customers aged 50 years and over can enjoy savings of 10 per cent on their insurance premiums.
  • Choose a higher excess. You’ll receive a cheaper premium in return.
Back to top

I need to make a claim, what do I do?

When you need to make a claim, you can call OnePath’s Claims Assistance Service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It’s important to contact OnePath as soon as possible after any incident or event which may lead to a claim.

OnePath will also require you to provide any relevant information to help them process your claim. This could include:

  1. Letters, notices or court documents about the event within 72 hours of receiving them.
  2. A police event report number for any claims relating to theft, vandalism or malicious acts.
  3. The contact details of any other people involved in the insured event.
Back to top

Still have questions about OnePath?

Q. What does my policy mean when it says it offers full building replacement cover? 

  • A. If your home is destroyed by an event covered under this policy, OnePath will cover the full replacement cost of your home. This also includes cover for legal fees, demolition, removal of debris and alternate temporary accommodation.

Q. How can I get a quote from OnePath?

  • A. You can obtain a home and contents insurance quote by visiting OnePath’ website or phoning 132 062 from 8am to 8pm Sydney time.

Q. How long until my cover takes effect?

  • A. OnePath will begin offering cover as soon as you have purchased your policy.

Q. Is there a cooling-off period?

  • A. Yes. You have 21 days from the time you purchase your policy to change your mind about taking out cover. As long as you haven’t made a claim, you’ll receive a full refund of your premium.

Q. How can I pay my OnePath premium? 

  • A. You can pay your premium via credit card or by direct debit from your bank account.
Back to top

Think you're ready to start comparing home insurance policies?

If you’re looking for insurance cover for your home and contents, OnePath offers a range of competitive policy options designed to suit the needs of a wide variety of Australians. Just make sure to compare several policies on the market before you decide which one is right for you.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Ask a question