Comminsure Home Insurance Review

An award winning insurer that comes with a sum insured safeguard – these are some of the reasons worth getting a policy with Comminsure home insurance.

No reviews yet. Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Our Verdict

  • Comminsure covers up to an additional 25% on top of your sum insured building and contents when it isn't enough to cover your loss. This is often an optional add-on for many other insurers we looked at.
  • Its home and contents insurance has been awarded for its outstanding value for a number of years.
  • You get up to 15% off combined building and contents insurance – insurers such as Budget Direct, St.George and Westpac all offer larger discounts when you sign up.
Sorry! We currently don't have this brand on our panel. But don't fret, you can head to the Commbank home insurance website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with Finder.
Compare home insurance fast

What does Commbank home insurance cover?

You can get 3 different policy types. Commbank offers building insurance, contents insurance and a combined home and contents insurance policy. To add to that, Commbank also offers landlord insurance.

Some main events covered by Commbank home insurance include:

Commbank home insurance is backed by Commonwealth Insurance Limited. It offers customers the choice to pay more than the standard excess amount (which differs depending on the state you live in) and has a standard cooling off period of 21 days.

Here's the rundown of a Commbank home insurance policy

Check icon

Standard features

These are some standard features that you can claim if an insured event causes damage or loss.

  • Alternative accommodation
  • Contents in transit
  • Damage by emergency services
  • Demolition and debris removal
  • Domestic pets
  • Loss of rent
  • Accidental glass breakage
  • Animal damage
  • Burn out of electric motors
  • Earthquakes
  • Escape of liquid

plus icon

Optional add-ons

Commbank home insurance comes with few optional extras compared to other insurers such as Budget Direct, Virgin and Qantas.

  • Accidental damage
  • Domestic Workers' Compensation Cover
  • Portable contents cover

cross icon


All home insurance policies will have general exclusions. Here are some things you won't be covered for with Commbank.

  • Defects or poor workmanship
  • Damage if your property is not compliant with government regulations or requirements
  • Your building while in the process of major renovation, alteration, extension or structural improvement unless Comminsure has agreed to continue the insurance
  • Wear and tear and lack of maintenance, including rust, corrosion and deterioration
  • Water, including rainwater, after it has disappeared beneath the surface of the land at your insured address
  • Normal actions of the sea, ocean or other marine waters
  • The gradual rising of the levels of the sea, oceanic waters or other marine waters due to any change in climate
  • Subsidence or landslide

Make sure you read Commbank' PDS for a more detailed breakdown of what's not covered. You can also head to general exclusions for more information.

Commbank home insurance complaints

We reviewed some of the latest complaints data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July to December 2020. This data looks at how different underwriters respond to and resolve complaints.

Here are some things we noticed about Commbank home insurance.

  • Despite its considerable size, Commbank didn't receive many complaints. It also has a lower percentage of complaints compared to other similarly-sized insurers.
  • While it resolved most of its complaints directly with its customers, Commbank still escalated a number to the AFCA.

This is the bottom line about Commbank

Commbank home insurance is a good overall home insurer compared to other policies on the market. It comes with plenty of benefits included as standard and an additional 25% on top of your sum insured building and contents when it isn't enough to cover your loss. However, you can get bigger discounts elsewhere.

If you're not ready to take out a policy, you can compare other home insurance brands side-by-side here.

Frequently asked questions

Leave a Commbank home insurance review

If you've held, or currently hold, a Commbank home insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if Commbank is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site