Holiday homes in Wollongong | Where to stay in the Illawarra
Find the perfect coastal getaway in southern NSW with these top holiday home sites.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
From luxury apartments overlooking the famous Wollongong to family homes in Thirroul's countryside – we've got you covered. Keep reading to uncover which booking site is best suited to you and the deals currently on offer.
Where to book holiday homes in Wollongong
Browse through a wide selection of stays on Airbnb, including cottages, villas, cabins, bungalows, lofts and apartments.
- Free cancellations
- Taxes and fees aren’t always included in the price
- You’ll need to pay for your stay upon booking
Wake up to the sound of waves rippling on the foreshore with a variety of seaside penthouses, apartments and houses on Stayz.
If you really want to feel like a local, you can't look past a lived-in home on the Wollongong coast with HomeAway.
Holidaying on the south coast doesn't have to break the bank with HomeExchange. Swap homes with other users or pay with guest points.
- Free cancellations
- Taxes and fees are included in the price
- You'll need to become a HomeExchange member which gives you unlimited stays for a year
Forget booking your getaway on 10 different sites – organise your flights, accommodation, car rentals, airport transfers and even local attractions on Booking.com.
Book your accommodation knowing you scored the best price available with the comparison feature from HotelsCombined.
Where should I stay in Wollongong?
- North Wollongong, East Corrimal or Port Kembla for beaches: If you want to be within walking distance of the coastline, we recommend booking accommodation right in the Wollongong city centre, North Wollongong, East Corrimal or Port Kembla.
- Figtree, Cordeaux Heights, Austinmer or Keiraville for hiking: Some of the best hiking spots and lookouts are on Mount Keira and these areas will have you close to the action. Plus, Austinmer will have you staying closest to the popular Sublime Point walking track.
- Port Kembla, Cordeaux Heights or Warilla for family-friendly activities: Wollongong hosts the Jamberoo Action Park, which happens to be just 30 minutes away by car. Port Kembla, Cordeaux Heights and Warilla are all situated close to the main highway that will take you straight to the park.
Cheap holiday homes in Wollongong
Save a few extra dollars by heading north or inland to areas such as Mount Ousley, Coledale and Balgownie. In a lot of cases, you can still find a stay for under $100 a night closer to the water – keep in mind, an average night in Wollongong is around $220 (according to Airbnb). Your cheaper stays are likely to be a short drive from the beaches and are unlikely to have big outdoor areas.
The Artist's Studio Coledale
Austinmer Beach House
Three bedroom home in Wollongong
Luxury holiday homes in Wollongong
Looking for luxury? Keep it to areas such as Wollongong Beach, North Wollongong and Austinmer. A good rule of thumb is that the high-end stays are usually closer to the water. The following accommodation options either have the ocean on your doorstep or are encased by the beautiful forests. Privacy, large outdoor spaces, fresh designs and incredible views are just some of the features that will come with your luxury stay.
The Beach House North
The Bower Stylish garden bungalow in Mount Kembla
Sea Deck Luxury Waterfront
Pet-friendly accommodation in Wollongong
Your pet-friendly stays are typically a little further up the coast, in areas such as North Wollongong, Thirroul and Austinmer. Wollongong's city centre is mostly apartments, so it's unlikely to find a spot that has an adequate backyard. The suburbs mentioned above are still quite close to the coast, so you won't miss out on those ocean views. A few pet-friendly attractions include Wiseman Park Reserve, Peace Grove and JJ Kelly Park.
Safe Seaside Village Studio
Nan's Cottage on the Coast
Coalface Bed and Breakfast
Frequently asked questions
Is it legal to stay at a holiday home in Wollongong?
Yes, restrictions now allow stays across New South Wales.
What do I need to bring to a holiday home in Wollongong?
We recommend packing the following:
- For beaches: Beach towels, sunscreen and swimsuits
- For hiking: Walking shoes, insulated/reusable water bottles, sunscreen and a hat
What should I consider when I'm staying in a holiday home in Wollongong?
If you're looking at a holiday home on the south coast, we suggest looking for a place with the following features:
- Outdoor area/water views: Wollongong is known for its pristine coastline, so if your budget allows, you can't go past a balcony with a view of the sea.
- Private parking spot: If you intend to drive to and from your holiday home, you ought to make sure a parking spot is included with the stay.
- BBQ: This one is a great entertaining feature as well as a money saver while you're holidaying down south.
- Beach towels: Although not as common, having a few more towels to take down to the beach is a great extra.
How do I get to my holiday home?
You can take the train or drive to Wollongong. If you're taking the former, board the Wollongong train line at Central or Redfern, which is an all-stops to the city centre and North Wollongong. Catch a taxi to your stay.
Driving will make your trip easier and save you time when it comes to getting around the sights across the Illawarra coast.
Latest Wollongong holiday home deals:
More guides on Finder
Holiday homes in Tasmania
Discover the plethora of holiday home options currently available in Tasmania.
Nelson Bay hotels | Where to stay in Port Stephens’ largest town
Compare Nelson Bay hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Lorne hotels | Where to stay in the town of Lorne on the Great Ocean Road
Compare Lorne hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Caloundra hotels | Where to stay in the Sunshine Coast town
Compare Caloundra hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Holiday homes in Darwin
Escape to the top end with a range of holiday homes to suit any traveller.
Holiday homes in Canberra | Where to book your dream stay
Search for long and short term stays in the Australian capital that feel like home.
Holiday homes in Adelaide | Where to book and where to stay
From beachfront homes to penthouses in the heart of the city, get ready to discover your dream holiday home in Adelaide.
Holiday homes in Perth
Discover your home away from home in the centre of the city or along the beach in Perth.
Airlie Beach accommodation | Where to stay on the Whitsunday Coast
Compare Airlie Beach hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Apollo Bay accommodation | Where to stay in the Great Ocean Road town
Compare Apollo Bay hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Ask an Expert