Holiday homes in Wollongong | Where to stay in the Illawarra
Find the perfect coastal getaway in southern NSW with these top holiday home sites.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
From luxury apartments overlooking the famous Wollongong to family homes in Thirroul's countryside – we've got you covered. Keep reading to uncover which booking site is best suited to you and the deals currently on offer.
Where to book holiday homes in Wollongong
Browse through a wide selection of stays on Airbnb, including cottages, villas, cabins, bungalows, lofts and apartments.
- Free cancellations
- Taxes and fees aren’t always included in the price
- You’ll need to pay for your stay upon booking
Wake up to the sound of waves rippling on the foreshore with a variety of seaside penthouses, apartments and houses on Stayz.
If you really want to feel like a local, you can't look past a lived-in home on the Wollongong coast with HomeAway.
Holidaying on the south coast doesn't have to break the bank with HomeExchange. Swap homes with other users or pay with guest points.
- Free cancellations
- Taxes and fees are included in the price
- You'll need to become a HomeExchange member which gives you unlimited stays for a year
Forget booking your getaway on 10 different sites – organise your flights, accommodation, car rentals, airport transfers and even local attractions on Booking.com.
Book your accommodation knowing you scored the best price available with the comparison feature from HotelsCombined.
What's in this guide?
Top picks for holiday homes in Wollongong
Get lost amongst the treelines of the Illawarra escarpment.
If it's secluded bliss and surrounding views of the rainforest that you're after – you've found it. The Hideaway is tucked away from the busyness of the city, offering a quiet retreat for relaxation.
- Best for: Rainforests
- Star rating: 5 stars
- Features: Private balcony, BBQ, free Wi-Fi, modern amenities, free parking, queen bedroom and beach essentials
Enjoy your morning coffee while you bask in 270-degree views of the south coast.
Towering above the buildings below and just a short walk from the beach, this CBD apartment provides the perfect escape if you want to feel like you're amongst the clouds.
- Best for: Views
- Star rating: 5 stars
- Features: Full kitchen, dining area, balcony, floor-to-ceiling windows and king bedroom
Soak up the sun and sand with a waterfront property for your next getaway.
Pack up your beach towels and umbrellas because it doesn't get closer to the shoreline than this. Spend your days frolicking by the water followed by dinners overlooking the ocean.
- Best for: Beachfront stays
- Star rating: 5 stars
- Features: Outdoor entertainment area, waterfront views, open plan spaces and queen bedrooms
Because everyone deserves a 5-star experience every now and then.
Luxury is made effortless in Kiama Heights. Enjoy breathtaking views of the coastline from the comfort of your couch or take in the sights from your uninterrupted balcony.
- Best for: Luxury escapes
- Star rating: 5 stars
- Features: Floor-to-ceiling windows, plenty of space, outdoor pool and four floors
Where should I stay in Wollongong?
- North Wollongong, East Corrimal or Port Kembla for beaches: If you want to be within walking distance of the coastline, we recommend booking accommodation right in the Wollongong city centre, North Wollongong, East Corrimal or Port Kembla.
- Figtree, Cordeaux Heights, Austinmer or Keiraville for hiking: Some of the best hiking spots and lookouts are on Mount Keira and these areas will have you close to the action. Plus, Austinmer will have you staying closest to the popular Sublime Point walking track.
- Port Kembla, Cordeaux Heights or Warilla for family-friendly activities: Wollongong hosts the Jamberoo Action Park, which happens to be just 30 minutes away by car. Port Kembla, Cordeaux Heights and Warilla are all situated close to the main highway that will take you straight to the park.
Cheap holiday homes in Wollongong
Save a few extra dollars by heading north or inland to areas such as Mount Ousley, Coledale and Balgownie. In a lot of cases, you can still find a stay for under $100 a night closer to the water – keep in mind, an average night in Wollongong is around $220 (according to Airbnb). Your cheaper stays are likely to be a short drive from the beaches and are unlikely to have big outdoor areas.
Austinmer Beach House
Luxury holiday homes in Wollongong
Looking for luxury? Keep it to areas such as Wollongong Beach, North Wollongong and Austinmer. A good rule of thumb is that the high-end stays are usually closer to the water. The following accommodation options either have the ocean on your doorstep or are encased by the beautiful forests. Privacy, large outdoor spaces, fresh designs and incredible views are just some of the features that will come with your luxury stay.
Pet-friendly accommodation in Wollongong
Your pet-friendly stays are typically a little further up the coast, in areas such as North Wollongong, Thirroul and Austinmer. Wollongong's city centre is mostly apartments, so it's unlikely to find a spot that has an adequate backyard. The suburbs mentioned above are still quite close to the coast, so you won't miss out on those ocean views. A few pet-friendly attractions include Wiseman Park Reserve, Peace Grove and JJ Kelly Park.
Frequently asked questions
Is it legal to stay at a holiday home in Wollongong?
Yes, restrictions now allow stays across New South Wales.
What do I need to bring to a holiday home in Wollongong?
We recommend packing the following:
- For beaches: Beach towels, sunscreen and swimsuits
- For hiking: Walking shoes, insulated/reusable water bottles, sunscreen and a hat
What should I consider when I'm staying in a holiday home in Wollongong?
If you're looking at a holiday home on the south coast, we suggest looking for a place with the following features:
- Outdoor area/water views: Wollongong is known for its pristine coastline, so if your budget allows, you can't go past a balcony with a view of the sea.
- Private parking spot: If you intend to drive to and from your holiday home, you ought to make sure a parking spot is included with the stay.
- BBQ: This one is a great entertaining feature as well as a money saver while you're holidaying down south.
- Beach towels: Although not as common, having a few more towels to take down to the beach is a great extra.
How do I get to my holiday home?
You can take the train or drive to Wollongong. If you're taking the former, board the Wollongong train line at Central or Redfern, which is an all-stops to the city centre and North Wollongong. Catch a taxi to your stay.
Driving will make your trip easier and save you time when it comes to getting around the sights across the Illawarra coast.
Latest Wollongong holiday home deals:
More guides on Finder
How to buy SPDR S-and-amp;P World ex Australia Hedged Fund units
Steps to owning and managing SPDR S and P World ex Australian (Hedged) Fund ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $120 off Nintendo Switch on Amazon Prime Day
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
The magic number: How much you need for financial freedom
Can you achieve financial freedom in the next 25 years?
Ask an Expert