HIF's entry-level hospital insurance covers you for all the basics
HIF GoldStarter Hospital Insurance is not specifically targeted to anyone, although it is a suitable option if you are not requiring maternity services or cardio heart procedures. This policy covers a shared room in a private or public hospital, pharmacy drugs and AccessGap Cover (meaning no out-of-pocket expenses for the difference between the Medicare Benefits Schedule and the fee charged by your doctor). You can also get same-day theatre treatment. It will cost you from $1.79 per day.
Health Insurance Fund of Australia or HIF is a leading provider of cost effective health insurance cover. You can get the most bang for your buck by choosing either vital, saver, special, super or premium options depending on the level of health cover you need.
What does HIF GoldStarter Hospital cover?
With GoldStarter Hospital cover, you’re eligible for:
- Intensive care
- Theatre care
- Same-day accommodation
- Same-day theatre
- Pharmacy drugs
- AccessGap Cover
- Shared room in a private or public hospital
What is not covered by HIF GoldStarter Hospital?
Whilst GoldStarter Hospital covers vital medical services, it doesn’t cover things such as:
- Obstetrics (maternity)
- Gastric banding
- Eye surgery
- Joint replacement
- Cosmetic services (as deemed by Medicare and that doesn’t allow a Medicare rebate)
- Cardiac heart conditions
What excess options are available for HIF GoldStarter Hospital?
$200 is the standard excess per person per admission. This can rise to $400 a year.
What are the waiting periods applied for HIF GoldStarter Hospital?
Waiting periods are kept to a minimum with GoldStarter Hospital cover:
- A day for treatment that was an emergency
- 2 months for general hospitalisation claims
- 12 months for all treatments related to any pre-existing illness or condition (whether you knew or not) diagnosed by a medical practitioner as appointed by the fund
Who is eligible?
Anyone is eligible but those who don’t need maternity and cardio care are recommended for this cover.
Making a claim
- All hospital accounts will be directly forwarded to HIF on your behalf. Should you receive a hospital account, you can post it directly to HIF at Reply Paid X2221, Perth, WA 6847
- You can also call HIF on 1300 134 060 if you need help making a claim OR
- You can jump onto hif.com.au and download the HIF Claim Form
Q: How do I know which contracted private hospitals are linked with HIF?
- A: You can jump onto hif.com.au, email them directly at email@example.com or call 1300 134 060 where you can speak to a customer service representative.
Q: What are some ineligible services and providers?
- A: You can jump onto hif.com.au to find out who is listed by HIF and determine who isn’t covered.