Get fixed-price physio visits and unlimited optical benefits with Health Partners extras insurance.
Health Partners is a not-for-profit health fund based in South Australia. It offers protection Australia-wide with three different extras only insurance plans, designed to provide useful cover no matter what your income is.
Top 3 features
- Good for frequent visits to the physiotherapist. Depending on which extras plan you are on, you will only have to pay $18, $16 or $12 at a participating physiotherapist for an initial or standard consultation, up to your annual limit.
- Good for optical benefits. Receive 60% back on optical costs (70% for Top Extras) at participating optical outlets up to your annual limit, then continue to receive 40% benefits for the rest of the year (no limit).
- Beware of providers. Many common benefits only apply in full if you access the service at a participating Health Partner provider (which are mainly found in South Australia). In addition, there are a large number of conditions on benefits (such as lifetime limits, or tri-yearly limits) and set benefits, even on Top Extras.
What extras only plans are available?
Health Partners offers three different extras only plans:
- Starter Extras. Provides 60% benefit on a few basic services. Unlimited 40% optical cover at participating outlets after hitting your annual limit and a 20% discount on most non-prescription pharmacy items. $18 standard physiotherapy sessions.
- Standard Extras. Includes a 60% benefit for everything Starter Extras provides with higher annual limits, as well as unlimited general dental, chiropractic, podiatry, and others. Some services have set flat benefits. $16 standard physiotherapy sessions.
- Top Extras. Includes an 85% benefit on the same services that Standard Extras provides plus a higher annual limit, and includes a wider range of extras. Some services have set flat benefits. $12 standard physiotherapy sessions.
|Feature||Starter Extras||Standard Extras||Top Extras|
|Chiropractic and podiatry|
|Aids and appliances|
|Psychology and hypnotherapy|
|Speech, occupational and eye therapy|
|Home nursing services|
Other benefits of Health Partners Extras Cover
In addition to the benefits provided by your extras plan, Health Partners provides the following to its members:
- Refunds on non-prescription items. Most non-prescription items that you pick up at the pharmacy are valid for a 20% benefit, without any annual limit.
- Fixed-price physio. Regardless of your level of cover, you will only have to pay a set cost for a standard physiotherapy session (at a participating physiotherapist).
- Natural therapy add-on. To keep premiums down, a range of natural therapy cover with a higher annual limit is offered separately. It can be added onto any stand alone extras cover.
- Gap free services for kids. You can get treatment for children with no gap payment if you have Top Extras.
How do the costs work?
Depending on which plan you select, you'll get 60% back on some services you access, like dental and optical (70-85% for Top Extras). Other services will draw a set benefit that varies from policy to policy and should be outlined on your policy documents.
You will continue to receive these benefits until you reach your annual limit for a particular type of cover, after which you'll generally have to wait until the end of the calendar year for these benefits to refresh.
Waiting periods and limitations
The following waiting periods apply before you can claim on your extras:
- 2 months: For all services not explicitly listed below.
- 12 months: For major dental, periodontics, endodontics, orthodontics and all aids and appliances.
How to make a claim
To claim your benefits, you will usually be able to simply swipe your membership card when accessing the service. Otherwise, you can make claims via the Health Partners app or online by uploading the relevant documents, or, if necessary, you can fill out a claim form and send it to Health Partners by email or by post.