Westfund Health Insurance
With 90 years under their belt, Westfund Health Insurance offers many affordable health policies to regional NSW and Queensland.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whether you're an Australian looking for top cover from a locally-owned, not-for-profit fund, or an overseas visitor hunting for your required hospital cover, Westfund Health Insurance has a policy option for you. From basic to premium cover, there's cover for all ages and budgets.
Top 3 features
- Good for Australians wanting to support a locally-owned, not-for-profit fund.
- Good for their Member Advantages program.
- Good for people living in Australia from overseas who need hospital cover.
Who is Westfund Health Insurance?
If you're looking for a private health fund to offer peace of mind and help you take better care of yourself, Westfund Health can help. Established in 1929, Westfund is a regional, not-for-profit, member-owned health fund, which means all its profits are returned to members in the form of cheaper premiums and better products.
With locations across NSW and Queensland, Westfund is a wholly Australian-owned and operated fund with a presence in 12 towns and regional cities.
What health insurance options are available?
As well as any ambulance costs resulting from a medical emergency, Westfund Health covers charges for treatment in all public and most private hospitals in Australia (restriction applies to psychiatric services). Hospital Only policies also come with Westfund Members Advantages and you can choose to pay a $500 excess and benefit from lower premiums, though waiting periods may apply.
- Gold Hospital. Protect your loved ones with our most comprehensive quality hospital cover, offering peace of mind with no exclusions or restrictions.
- Silver Plus Assure Hospital. High-level hospital cover suitable for older adults, providing security for later in life.
- Silver Hospital. Only pay for what you need with mid-level hospital cover suited for established families and couples.
- Bronze Hospital. Entry-level private hospital cover for the budget conscious. Most suited to young singles and couples.
- Basic Hospital. Be covered as a private patient in a public hospital.
- Ultimate Extras. Top-level extras cover suitable to those maintaining a proactive lifestyle, with generous limits on a wide range of benefits.
- Esteem Extras. Ideal for older singles and couples, this top-level cover with generous benefits per person on dental, physiotherapy, optical and chiropractic services.
- Advantage Pro Extras. Top-level extras cover for growing families, providing a higher level of benefit on fundamental services like dental, physiotherapy, optical and chiropractic.
- Advantage Extras. Mid-level cover with additional benefits for key services.
- Essential Extras. Basic cover for those on a budget. Suited to fit and healthy young singles, couples and families.
Information on tiers
Westfund Health Insurance has made changes to their policies as of 1 April 2019 to ensure compliance with the government Private Health Insurance Reforms and to help improve transparency and understanding of their products.
In line with the reforms, Westfund Health have also changed the maximum excess available on most policies.
Westfund's Member Advantages program rewards its customers for maintaining their policies with the following bonuses:
- No excess for day surgery, kids or private hospital accident admissions. Westfund does not apply an excess to any claim for day surgery or hospitalisation resulting from an accident when you need to be admitted to a private hospital. This is also the case for kids admitted to a public or private Hospital on gold and silver tiered policies.
- Forced Retrenchment Benefit. You can suspend your membership for half a year if you're made redundant.
- Protected Industrial Action. You can suspend your membership for half a year due to protected industrial action. Available after 36 months.
- Overseas Travel. You can suspend your membership for as much as 24 months due to overseas travel.
- Westfund Dental and Eyecare. Member fees apply at Westfund Eye Care Centres and Westfund Dental Care Centre, Lithgow for Hospital Only and Ambulance policies.
How to make a claim
If you need to make an extras claim, you can simply swipe your Westfund membership card at any provider that offers on-the-spot electronic claiming. Where this is not an option, the quickest and easiest way is probably the Westfund app, which is available for Android and Apple.
Alternatively, download a claim form from the Westfund website, fill it out, sign it and return it to the health fund via email, mail or fax. A handy online claims portal is also available through the members area of the Westfund Health website.
In terms of hospital claims, most hospitals will send the bill directly to your health fund. However, in other cases you can lodge a claim via the Westfund website.
Overseas visitors or Students
There are three policy options for residents from overseas, from budget to comprehensive cover.
- Overseas Top Plus Hospital with Extras. A premium level of cover with no hospital exclusions and the highest level of dental, optical, physio and chiro cover, perfect for families with young children.
- Overseas Top Hospital with Extras. Cover for people from overseas who hold certain working visas. This policy ensures you get the best hospital care plus excellent extras.
- Overseas Hospital. Hospital cover for people living in Australia from overseas and hold a 457 working visa.
More guides on Finder
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
How much does a colonoscopy cost?
Find out how much a colonoscopy costs in Australia and how you can avoid paying heaps.
How much do veneers cost in Australia?
Find out how much veneers cost in Australia and how you can avoid being hit with a big bill.
How much do dentures cost in Australia?
Find out how much dentures cost in Australia and how you can get cover with mid-level health insurance.
Compare $100,000 life insurance policies
$100,000 life insurance policies can be very affordable. Compare costs and cover here.
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies, costs and cover here.
COVID saw Aussies spend $2 billion more on booze in 2020
A lockdown binge saw Aussies splash out $2 billion more on alcohol this year, according to Finder’s analysis of Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) data.
Mercedes-Benz E-Class car insurance
Find out how much the average Mercedes-Benz E-Class costs to insure, as well as how to find a prestige car insurer.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert