With 90 years under their belt, Westfund Health Insurance offers many affordable health policies to regional NSW and Queensland.
Whether you're an Australian looking for top cover from a locally-owned, not-for-profit fund, or an overseas visitor hunting for your required hospital cover, Westfund Health Insurance has a policy option for you. From basic to premium cover, there's cover for all ages and budgets.
Top 3 features
- Good for Australians wanting to support a locally-owned, not-for-profit fund.
- Good for their Member Advantages program.
- Good for people living in Australia from overseas who need hospital cover.
Who is Westfund Health Insurance?
If you're looking for a private health fund to offer peace of mind and help you take better care of yourself, Westfund Health can help. Established in 1929, Westfund is a regional, not-for-profit, member-owned health fund, which means all its profits are returned to members in the form of cheaper premiums and better products.
With locations across NSW and Queensland, Westfund is a wholly Australian-owned and operated fund with a presence in 12 towns and regional cities.
What health insurance options are available?
As well as any ambulance costs resulting from a medical emergency, Westfund Health covers charges for treatment in all public and most private hospitals in Australia (restriction applies to psychiatric services). Hospital Only policies also come with Westfund Members Advantages and you can choose to pay a $500 excess and benefit from lower premiums, though waiting periods may apply.
- Gold Hospital. Protect your loved ones with our most comprehensive quality hospital cover, offering peace of mind with no exclusions or restrictions.
- Silver Plus Assure Hospital. High-level hospital cover suitable for older adults, providing security for later in life.
- Silver Plus Nurture Hospital. Look after your loved ones through our mid-level hospital cover, designed for those growing or planning their families.
- Silver Hospital. Only pay for what you need with mid-level hospital cover suited for established families and couples.
- Bronze Hospital. Entry-level private hospital cover for the budget conscious. Most suited to young singles and couples.
- Basic Hospital. Be covered as a private patient in a public hospital.
- Ultimate Pro Extras. Westfund's highest extras cover, this policy provides superior inclusions and maximum coverage, helping those committed to enhancing and maintaining their health and wellbeing.
- Ultimate Extras. Top-level extras cover suitable to those maintaining a proactive lifestyle, with generous limits on a wide range of benefits.
- Esteem Extras. Ideal for older singles and couples, this top-level cover with generous benefits per person on dental, physiotherapy, optical and chiropractic services.
- Advantage Pro Extras. Top-level extras cover for growing families, providing a higher level of benefit on fundamental services like dental, physiotherapy, optical and chiropractic.
- Advantage Extras. Mid-level cover with additional benefits for key services.
- Essential Pro Extras. Gives you benefits on fundamental services, designed for young singles, couples and families.
- Essential Extras. Basic cover for those on a budget. Suited to fit and healthy young singles, couples and families.
Information on tiers
Westfund Health Insurance has made changes to their policies as of 1 April 2019 to ensure compliance with the government Private Health Insurance Reforms and to help improve transparency and understanding of their products.
In line with the reforms, Westfund Health have also changed the maximum excess available on most policies.
Westfund's Member Advantages program rewards its customers for maintaining their policies with the following bonuses:
- After serving your waiting period: Receive up to an additional $200 per night if you are hospitalised following an accident.
- After 1 year: Receive $75 towards sunglasses from any Westfund Care Centre.
- After 2 years: Get $150 per night accommodation expenses up to $600 per year as well as an additional $400 per-night benefit for advanced surgical procedures.
- After 3 years: Enjoy the flexibility of being able to suspend your premiums for up to six months if you're made redundant.
- After 5 years: Get up to $2,000 for hearing aids and enjoy eligibility for any special premium discounts that may arise.
How to make a claim
If you need to make an extras claim, you can simply swipe your Westfund membership card at any provider that offers on-the-spot electronic claiming. Where this is not an option, you can download a claim form from the Westfund website, fill it out, sign it and return it to the health fund via email, mail or fax. A handy online claims portal is also available through the members area of the Westfund Health website.
In terms of hospital claims, most hospitals will send the bill directly to your health fund. However, in other cases you can lodge a claim via the Westfund website.
Overseas visitors or Students
Westfund Health Insurance provides health cover for subclass 457 visa holders, who are required by law to have health insurance.
There are three policy options for residents from overseas, from budget to comprehensive cover.
- Platinum Overseas Hospital and Extras. A premium level of cover with no hospital exclusions and the highest level of dental, optical, physio and chiro cover, perfect for families with young children.
- Gold Overseas Hospital and Extras. Cover for people from overseas who hold certain working visas. This policy ensures you get the best hospital care plus excellent extras.
- Hospital Overseas. Hospital cover for people living in Australia from overseas and hold a 457 working visa.