As the cost of private health insurance continues to rise in line with spiralling healthcare costs, recent surveys indicate widespread public dissatisfaction with health funds. They also indicate that a growing number of people are thinking about reducing or ending their cover.
But do the figures support this? Let's take a look at the latest health insurance statistics from the side of industry and consumer to see how health funds are performing, who has cover, what they’re getting in return for it and whether Australians really are ditching their health insurance.
Industry statistics covered
- Health funds by market share
- Average annual policy premium
- Average health fund admin fees per policy
- Industry premium price rises for 2017
- Health fund premium rises since 2010
- Complaints by market share
Consumer statistics covered
- Percentage of Australians covered by age
- Percentage of Australians covered by region
- The type of cover people are getting
- The most popular extras services
- Average out-of-pocket expenses
- Australians dropping cover
Tips, tricks and deals
Find out what to look for when comparing, how to avoid common pitfalls and what deals are currently available from participating funds.
Health insurance types
Unsure of what type of policy you need, or what's even available? Explore your health insurance options.
Health insurance for life stages
An ideal policy when you are single and 20 may not be when you are 40 and have a family, or when you are enjoying retirement.
If you have any queries about these statistics, please contact Sophie Walsh either by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0404 576 822.
- Nearly 30% of Australian breast cancer patients who have a lumpectomy will need more surgery
- Turned 31 in the last year?
- Save on health insurance with these 19 end of financial year deals
- Bupa medical gap scheme to continue to be available for public hospitals
- Will health insurance reforms really increase cancer insurance premiums?
- Why are out-of-pocket health expenses going up so fast?
Ask an Expert