Find out whether you need ambulance cover and whether Health Care Insurance Limited has you covered.
Health Care Insurance Limited (HCI) is a private health insurance provider that’s been covering Australians since 1938.
- HCI hospital cover does not include ambulance cover.
- Comprehensive HCI extras cover (Premier Extras) includes emergency-only ambulance cover, while basic extras (Active Life) does not.
How can I get ambulance cover with HCI?
If you are with HCI, the only way to get ambulance cover is with its comprehensive extras plan or with a state ambulance subscription. Although, in certain states, you may already have cover depending on your circumstances.
- NSW and the ACT: You are covered automatically if you hold hospital cover health insurance of any kind.
- VIC: Pensioners or eligible concession cardholders may be automatically covered under state schemes.
- QLD: Residents are automatically covered under state schemes.
- TAS: Residents are automatically covered under state schemes.
- WA: Pensioners or eligible concession cardholders may be automatically covered under state schemes.
- SA: There is no automatic cover under state schemes.
- NT: Pensioners or eligible concession cardholders may be automatically covered under state schemes.
How does Health Care Insurance Limited cover emergency and non-emergency ambulance services?
If you are not covered elsewhere, it’s worth considering your ambulance cover options, and you may want to get cover through HCI comprehensive extras cover. This covers you for emergency ambulance services only.
Emergency ambulance services are services that attending paramedics classify as emergencies. It does not include routine transfers between hospitals or transfers between home and hospital for the management of ongoing health conditions.
What are my options?
If you don’t want a comprehensive extras plan, or would like additional cover for non-emergency ambulance services, then you may want to consider looking at alternative options.
Other options may include different health funds or state ambulance subscriptions. Some health funds will offer standalone ambulance cover options, and these may be more cost-effective than ambulance subscriptions. Others will reimburse all or some of your ambulance subscription expenses.
When picking out ambulance cover, you may want to check for the following features:
- Whether you are covered for emergencies only or for non-emergencies as well
- Whether you are covered for air, sea and other special ambulance services
- If there are any annual limits on your cover