Headphones review methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our headphone reviews.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Here at Finder, we rigorously test the headphones we review to determine scores for design, performance and battery life as well as an overall score. Each category is scored out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how our reviewers break down each score:
To determine the design score, we consider:
- Aesthetics. How do the headphones look and feel? Are they available in multiple colours and designs?
- Materials. What are the headphones made out of? Do they feel cheap or high-quality?
- Comfort. How do the headphones feel after prolonged use? How heavy are they? Do they stay on when you move around?
- Functionality. Does the design make the headphones easier or harder to use?
- Controls. Do the headphones have on-ear controls?
- Durability. Do the headphones have a waterproof rating? Are they sweatproof?
- Set-up. What's included in the box? How easy is it to pair the headphones with a smartphone?
To determine the performance score, we consider:
- Sound quality. How do the headphones sound? Are they clear? Is the sound well-rounded?
- Noise cancellation. Is there active or passive noise cancelling? Are there multiple levels of noise-cancellation? How well does the noise-cancellation work?
- Features. What features are included? Do the features perform as promised?
- Controls. How well do the controls work? Are they intuitive and easy to use?
- App. Is there a corresponding app? What can you do with it? How easy is it to use?
- Microphone. Do the headphones have a built-in microphone? How well does it work during phone calls?
To determine the battery score, we consider:
- Battery life. How long can you listen on a full charge? Does the battery life live up to the manufacturer's promise?
- Charging method. Does it use a micro USB, USB-C, lightning cable or proprietary charger? Is wireless charging available?
- Charging time. How long does it take to charge fully?
The overall score is not an average of the other scores. To determine the overall rating, the reviewer considers the scores for design, performance and battery life as well as the price and how it compares to other available headphones. For example, a pair of headphones could have high scores for design, performance and battery life, but the overall score might be lower because of a high price tag.
When coming up with the overall score we consider:
- Our overall impression of the product
- Value for money
- Battery life
- How it compares to the rest of the market
While our ratings reflect the value we give each pair of headphones, there is and will always be a level of subjectivity to each review. If your experience with headphones differs from ours, we'd love to hear from you.
We review the headphones as we get them. Software updates and improvements can occur after the time of review, changing the performance of the device. Where possible, we strive to reflect these updates in our reviews.
Recent headphone reviews
Our expert team of reviewers pick the best headphones in Australia, with a little help from real consumer reviews.Read more…
With active noise cancelling on board for under $200, the realme Buds Air Pro offer good value for those looking for a true wireless bargain.Read more…
The Skullcandy Hesh ANC headphones get you solid noise cancelling and good sound at a reasonable price.Read more…
More guides on Finder
Glowstick Co LED Light Therapy Mask review
Consistency is key with this at-home LED light therapy mask.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 53% off Samsung Galaxy Buds+, 60% off sports and fitness equipment, win $10,000 with Optus.
Best dual SIM phones
If you’re looking to run multiple phone numbers from just one handset, we’ve got the best picks for every price bracket and need.
realme C21 review: Colourful, cheap but just too slow
The realme C21 has some attractive style and onboard NFC, but it’s otherwise overshadowed by more powerful phones in the budget space.
The best body moisturisers and lotions in Australia for 2021
We found the 13 best body moisturisers for all budgets and skin types.
Milk Makeup Kush Mascara review
This double-duty mascara works to lengthen and volumize your lashes at the same time.
Best spirit levels in Australia
From the best model for professionals to the top cheap product, these are the five best spirit levels available online.
Best clarifying shampoos in Australia
These are the six best clarifying shampoos you can buy right now in Australia.
Nokia G10 review: A budget phone that’s also future-proof
Nokia’s budget-centric G10 offers great value for money, especially thanks to its three-year warranty and two years of upgrades built in.
2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid Review
If you’re after a large SUV, you’re spoiled for choice. However, if you’re looking for a large SUV that attempts to reduce its footprint on the planet your options are considerably less. Enter the Volvo XC90 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid ...
Ask an Expert