Are you a member of HBF? Find out how you can save on a range of other insurance policies.
HBF began life in Western Australia in 1941 as the Metropolitan Hospital Benefit Fund. Today this not-for-profit organisation has more than 900,000 members Australia-wide and is one of the country’s five largest health funds. It is a Member’s Own health fund, offering customers a large range of services with low premium increases. HBF also has a number of other discounted insurance options including travel, car, home and contents, and life insurance.
What other insurance options are available through HBF?
HBF offers five levels of travel insurance in a singles (one adult and one dependant) or doubles (two adults and their dependants) policies. The policies include:
HBF Car Insurance, issued by CGU, includes three types of cover: Third Party Property, Third Party Fire and Theft, and Comprehensive.
- Third Party Property. Basic cover for damage to another person's property or car. Includes cover for liability and for not-at-fault collision with an uninsured motorist.
- Third Party Fire and Theft. Basic cover for damage to third-party property, car theft and fire accidents. Includes car hire after theft, cover for not-at-fault collision with an uninsured motorist, replacement of keys after theft, liability cover and emergency or temporary repairs.
- Comprehensive. Extensive cover that includes new car replacement for cars up to three years old; car hire after theft; temporary accommodation; personal items; unlimited cover for not-at-fault collision with an uninsured motorist; fire, storm or flood damage; theft, attempted theft or malicious damage; liability cover; replacement of keys after theft; emergency or temporary repairs; cover for your trailer while attached to your car; and towing or transport after an incident. There is also optional extra cover for a hire car up to 21 days, and for windscreen repair or replacement.
HBF Home Insurance is available, issued through CGU Insurance, as Building Only, Contents Only or Home and Contents. These come in three levels of cover: Fundamentals (basic cover), Listed Events (all-round cover) and Accidental Damage (highest level of cover).
Home insurance includes the following cover:
- Building, fixtures and fittings
- Fences and gates
- Garages, carports and sheds
- In-built swimming pools and spas
- Infrastructure for services such as electricity, gas, water and phone
- Anything built or installed on your property for domestic purposes
- External blinds or awnings and domestic outbuildings
- Household goods or personal effects not fitted to your buildings
- Money and negotiable contents
- Accessories and parts for motor vehicles, bicycles, caravans, trailers or watercraft
- Computer software and media purchased online
- Carpets, curtains or internal blinds
- Valuable items as listed
- Personal valuables as an optional extra
HBF also offers Landlords Insurance, which covers you for damage to a rental property and contents. It includes the following:
- Flood, fire, explosion, storm, earthquake and theft
- Rent and legal fees if tenant defaults on rent
- Deliberate acts and vandalism
- Liability cover
- Accidental breakage of fixed glass, basins, baths and toilets caused by tenants
- Architects, surveyor and legal fees
- Replacement or repair of burnt-out electrical motors
- Removal of debris and demolition costs
HBF has a range of life insurance policies in its HBF Ezicover Insurance portfolio, back by Zurich Australia Limited. These include:
- HBF Ezicover Life Insurance. Provides a lump-sum payment of between $50,000 and $1,500,000, depending on your age, on death or diagnosed terminal illness.
- HBF Ezicover Funeral Advantage. A lump-sum payment of between $5,000 and $15,000 towards funeral costs or other unexpected expenses.
- HBF Ezicover Income Protection. Pays up to 75% of your pre-disability income, up to $12,000 per month, if you have to stop working due to sickness or injury.
HBF members enjoy a large range of discounts and incentives including:
- Your first month free when you take out HBF Life Insurance
- A free app designed for storing personal health information and helping you achieve your health and fitness goals
Speak to a health insurance advisor
What you'll get:
- 100% free expert advice
- Pay the same as going direct
- Instant advice if you call 1300 594 882