Get the little jobs around your house resolved.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
You can hire a handyman for a wide selection of jobs around your home. From cleaning your drains to general home maintenance and fencing, you can find a handyman service for your requirements.
Use this guide to find the best handymen in Australia and learn how to find the right one for your project.
What is a handyman?
A handyman isn't licensed in any specific skill, but they can perform various tasks around the house and garden. A typical handyman can help with the following jobs:
- Pressure washing the house and decking areas
- Removing minor mould
- Repairing an appliance
- Minor heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) repairs
- Painting and decorating
- Drywall repairs
- Repairing bathroom and kitchen tiles
- Hanging curtains
- Hanging up pictures
- Minor gardening and fencing repairs
How do you compare handymen?
Many handymen in Australia do an excellent job and are highly trustworthy. Nevertheless it's important to still take precautions. Use these factors to compare your options.
- Check their reputation. A quick look on a website like Airtasker or Oneflare will help you establish the reputation of the handyman in your area and in their industry.
- Check references. You should always check a handyman's references. Ask for some phone numbers of recent clients.
- Get a written quote. Try to get a quote in writing before engaging any handyman. Establish how your handyman will charge for the job beforehand. It's not unreasonable to ask for an estimate before the project starts, but never focus on price over quality.
- Ask about their experience. If you're using a handyman to complete more complicated work, ask them about their previous experience doing similar jobs.
Should I get a handyman or do it myself?
Whilst many homeowners believe they have a good knowledge of basic home repairs, they are not well-versed on more complicated repairs. It's easy to overlook little details which at the time seem unnecessary but which can become a problem down the line. In the long run, doing it yourself may be more expensive.
Even if you are confident and have the skills for the job, you need the time and to put in the effort. A professional can take the time to complete the project to the highest standards. Also, some projects will require specialised tools and equipment. Whilst you can borrow, rent or buy this equipment it will significantly add to the cost.
How much does a handyman cost?
The cost of a handyman will vary depending on the job, but as a rough estimate handymen will charge between $40 - $60 per hour. Some handymen might also charge a flat rate for the job instead of an hourly rate, with the price depending on the type of job and how complicated it is.
What is the difference between a handyman and a tradesman?
The main difference between a handyman and a tradesman is that a tradesman has some form of licence. A tradesman will also work as a general manager of a project, ensuring the job is well organised and deadlines are met. Tradesman will have a licence in a specific trade and have an understanding of a specific trade.
Does a handyman need a licence?
This requirement varies depending on the type of work and the state, so check your state's specific regulations before hiring a handyman.
- New South Wales. In NSW, handymen will not need a licence if they're completing "minor maintenance and cleaning" valued at under $5,000 in labour and materials. Minor maintenance and cleaning is defined as maintenance which is non-structural, or cleaning of existing structures or buildings.
- Queensland. A licence is not required for some work valued at under $3,300, although there are some jobs that require a licence regardless of value. These include plumbing, drainage, gas fitting and chemical termite management jobs.
- Victoria. In Victoria a licence is not required for some work valued at $10,000 or less, but like other states licences are required for some jobs regardless of the value including plumbing, gasfitting, drainage, demolition work, electrical and structural work.
You can check out the other state and territory guidelines below:
Let's take a look at some popular websites to find handymen in Australia.
Airtasker allows users to look at profiles and reviews to find the best handyman for their task. When you accept an offer, your payment is held securely until the project is finished.
- Write a brief for your project and then handymen will bid for the chance to work on the task.
- Receive offers from multiple handymen so you can easily compare prices and services.
- Easily see reviews.
- You can upload images of your task.
- Can be a quick process.
Oneflare connects Australian customers and businesses. It has over 150 service categories from plumbers and electricians to interior designers. You'll be offered personalised quotes from local experts at a click of a finger.
- Straightforward process.
- Licensed handyman services.
- Competitive prices.
Service Seeking is an online tasking platform where tradespeople can quote and book jobs requested by clients. Handyman services will submit a quote for your job, plus information about themselves.
- Pay safely on any device.
- Fast response time.
- The handymen are not charged commission, lowering the price.
Hipages lets customers find the right handymen by answering a few questions. Let them know the job you need completing and they will match you with local handymen who will get your job done.
- Concentrates on handyman services.
- Quickly finds people in your area.
Pros and cons of using a handyman
- Complete general home maintenance jobs around your house with ease
- Good handymen will refer you to a licenced tradesperson if they cannot complete the job
- Get a more professional outcome than doing it yourself
- Handymen are not licensed tradespeople so cannot complete complex or structural jobs
- Quality and experience may vary between handymen
More guides on Finder
Property maintenance services
Whether you own a domestic or commercial property, keeping up with maintenance should be a priority.
Rangehood installation services
Learn about rangehood installation services and how to find a book a quality service online.
Stove connection services
Learn about stove connection services, what they do and why you should use one.
Dog Door Installation Services
Give your pooch the freedom to come and go as they please by installing a dog door.
Make the most out of your outdoor space while adding value to your home.
Sliding Door Repair Service
Here's what you need to know about sliding door repair services, including how to book one.
Tent Repair Services
A tent repair service can be a quick and cost-effective option if you find yourself with broken equipment.
Smoke alarm installation
Your guide to finding a reliable smoke alarm installation service, including how to get the best value for money.
Air Conditioner Cleaning
Improve the efficiency of your air conditioner and save money on your bills with a professional service.
Air Conditioner Installation
Here's everything to consider if you're looking for an air conditioner installation service.