Cheap flights to Hamilton Island for 2020
Everything you need to know about flights and transport to and from the Whitsundays and Hamilton Island.
Hamilton Island and the Whitsundays are two of the most popular holiday destinations in Australia. If you are planning a trip, you will be pleased to know that the area is well organised when it comes to transport. It’s easy flying to and from the area and easy getting around once you arrive.
What you can expect to pay for cheap flights to Hamilton Island
Flights to Hamilton Island tend to be the cheapest when flying from within Queensland or from Sydney. When there's a sale, you'll likely be able to find fares in the $100-$150 each way range from those cities. If you're flying from further away, like Adelaide or Perth, expect to pay at least $100 more each way.
Based on Skyscanner flights data, here's what's considered to be a good deal on a flight from your closest airport compared to the average price paid for tickets to Hamilton Island.
How long is the flight to Hamilton Island?
Flying times to Hamilton Island from major cities across Australia are as follows:
- Sydney: 2 hrs 30 mins (direct)
- Brisbane: 1 hr 45 mins (direct)
- Melbourne: 3 hrs (direct)
- Perth: 9 hrs 35 mins (one stop)
Which airlines fly to Hamilton Island?
- Virgin Australia
- Hamilton Island Airport (also known as Great Barrier Reef Airport)is the main airport for Hamilton Island. Prosperine/ Whitsunday Coast Airport is located on the mainland and serves the Whitsundays Islands and the Great Barrier Reef.
- The airport is small, but is conveniently located a short distance away from most of the island's resorts.
Hamilton Island Airport is located on Airport Drive, Hamilton Island, Queensland.
How to get around Hamilton island from the airport
Airport transfers are available to guests staying at certain hotels and resorts around the island. Rail, bus and ferry services can take holidaymakers around the area however pre-booking is required. Car hire is available from Proserpine Airport and Airlie Beach Port. Uber is also available in some areas.
Ask an Expert