Halo is coming to VR
Master Chief is swapping his helmet for a virtual reality headset.
Microsoft has dropped a whole lot of virtual reality news today, and alongside the confirmation of SteamVR support for Windows VR headsets, the company has revealed that 343 Industries is working on a number of new Halo experiences designed for virtual reality.
"It’s my pleasure to let you know that we are working with 343 Industries to bring future Halo experiences into mixed reality," said Alex Kipman, project lead on Microsoft's HoloLens headset and its mixed reality initiative. "We are not providing specifics right now, but it is going to be a lot of fun to work with them."
Despite the lack of details regarding these new experiences, it's promising news for virtual reality advocates waiting for that one killer app the platform has yet to see. Alongside other big-name projects like DOOM VFR and Skyrim VR, a Halo VR experience could provide the mainstream allure necessary to bring other large companies onboard and elevate VR from novelty to the revolution we've all been promised.
Microsoft is planning on dropping more virtual reality news later this year, and we'll keep you posted when more information comes to light.
- Twitch competitor Play2Live raises US$30 million in cryptocurrency sale
- Game Protocol network takes on Kickstarter and Steam with blockchain tech
- It’s true, Atari legend Nolan Bushnell is becoming a cryptocurrency
- Chimaera to revolutionise MMORPGs by using the blockchain instead of servers
- Where to find the best price on Dynasty Warriors 9 in Australia