Do guaranteed personal loans exist?
Find out why there are no personal loans that offer guaranteed approval and weigh up other options.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
What's in this guide?
Are you struggling financially?
If you're struggling financially and would like to speak to someone for free financial advice, information and assistance you can call the Financial Counsellors hotline on 1800 007 007 (open from 9:30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday). If you are suffering financial problems related to the coronavirus pandemic you may be eligible for additional support. Find out more here: https://www.finder.com.au/coronavirus-financial-help
⚠️ Warning about Borrowing
Do you really need a loan today?*
It can be expensive to borrow small amounts of money and borrowing may not solve your money problems.
Check your options before you borrow:
- For information about other options for managing bills and debts, ring 1800 007 007 from anywhere in Australia to talk to a free and independent financial counsellor
- Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan
- If you are on government benefits, ask if you can receive an advance from Centrelink: Phone: 13 17 94
The Government's MoneySmart website shows you how small amount loans work and suggests other options that may help you.
* This statement is an Australian Government requirement under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009.
Sunshine Short Term Loans
- Loan Amount: $2,000
- Loan Term: 9-14 weeks
- Turnaround Time: 30 minutes - conditions apply
- Fees: 20% of loan amount + 4% of loan amount each month
- Bad credit borrowers OK
- Quick & easy Approval
Help! I've been offered a guaranteed loan!
If a lender has offered you a personal loan with guaranteed approval, this is likely a scam. No personal loans are "guaranteed" and lenders that promise you will be approved are often looking to charge you excessive interest and fees or get you to sign a contract with unfair or illegal terms.
You can check if a lender is legitimate by verifying that it's listed with ASIC or seeing if they appear on ASIC's "do not deal with" list. If you think you're being scammed, stop dealing with the lender immediately and report the scam to ASIC.
A selection of loans you can compare
"Am I eligible for a loan?"
Eligibility criteria differs among lenders, which means there are options available for people in a variety of financial situations. This could include:
- People with bad credit history. There are some lenders that will consider loan applications from people with a bad credit history, including those that offer loans without a credit check.
- People receiving Centrelink payments. There are lenders that accept loan applications from people receiving Centrelink payments as income, although there are certain restrictions regarding this. Find out more and compare options here.
- People experiencing unemployment. Some lenders will consider unemployed applicants, as long as they can prove that they have the ability to repay the loan.
- People who are current or discharged bankrupts, or under a Part 9 Debt Agreement. While bankruptcy can severely limit loan options, it may be possible to find a lender that will consider applications.
What's the difference between a guaranteed personal loan and a guarantor loan?
The term "guaranteed personal loan" suggests that someone can get a loan approved regardless of their personal and financial circumstances, which is not possible in Australia. In contrast, a guarantor personal loan is a type of loan where someone else agrees to become legally responsible for the debt if the person who applied is unable to manage it.
This second person is known as a guarantor and can help reduce the risk for lenders when an applicant has poor credit history, low income or no income. While having a guarantor does not guarantee someone will get approved for a loan, it can help increase the chances of a successful application.
What other types of personal loans are available?
As guaranteed personal loans are not available in Australia, here are some of the other options people can consider.
These types of loans are often referred to as payday loans because the loan amount and terms are largely based on your income and pay frequency. As a general guide, short-term loans typically offer amounts of between $100 and $2,000 and have repayment terms between 3 to 12 months.
While there are regulations around the rates and fees for these types of loans, they are often high compared to other personal loan options. For example, a payday loan could have an establishment fee worth 20% of the loan amount and monthly account fees worth 4% of the loan amount. You could also be charged government fees and default fees. Learn more and compare payday loans to decide if this option is right for you.
Secured loans involve you borrowing from a lender and using a large asset, such as a car, a boat or housing equity as a guaranteed security in case you default on the loan. These secured personal loans can be offered as variable or fixed rate options and usually offer a loan term of between one to five years.
Unsecured bad credit personal loans are an option for people with bad credit who do not want to risk a guaranteed asset when they take out a loan. You might also choose to take out an unsecured loan if you want to use the loan to finance something other than a large asset, such as to pay off bills or to put towards home repairs, or even a holiday. Unsecured loans can be dangerous.
Tips to compare loan options
When you compare personal loans, it's important to keep the following things in mind:
- Fees. The lender should set out all the fees you will be charged before you settle on the loan. This will help you get a better idea of the true cost or the loan.
- Rates. You could expect rates to be higher with bad credit personal loans, although it is still important to compare these rates to make sure you are guaranteed to get the best deal.
- The lender. The lender should also come into consideration. You should look at how transparent the lender is with its information regarding fees and charges. You can also read online customer reviews of the lender, and they should be easily contactable.
More guides on Finder
Best moisturiser for dry skin in Australia
From the best overall face moisturiser for dry skin to the best body moisturiser, hand moisturiser and tinted moisturiser for dry skin, these are the best 7 moisturisers for dry skin you can buy in Australia right now.
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
Web developer resumes
Find out what to include in a web developer resume and how a customisable template could help you land your dream job.
Best portable fridge freezers in Australia 2021: Single zone
There’s no shortage of cooling options when camping, working or four-wheel driving, but what are the best portable fridge freezers in Australia?
Afterpay hangover? Beware of impact on home loan approval
Off the back of Christmas spending, a finance expert has warned that your Afterpay habits could negatively impact your home loan application.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Are you better off putting $10k in your home loan or in super?
Our experts crunch the numbers to help you work out the best place to park your money: is it your mortgage or your super fund?
UCapital Unsecured Business Loan
A UCapital unsecured business loan can provide up to $300,000 without security, with repayment terms between 3 and 12 months.
What is a redraw facility?
Here's what borrowers need to know about home loans with redraw facilities.
Employment Hero InstaPay
InstaPay is a pay-on-demand service offered by Employment Hero that allows employees to access salary advances of up to $250 per week for a flat fee starting from just $2.
Ask an Expert