Great Ocean Road tours
If you thought your plans were big, wait until you see these Great Ocean Road itineraries.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
The Great Ocean Road is one of those iconic drives that every tourist and local alike has to take at least once in their lives. Rife with pristine vistas and quiet towns, the road covers 243 kilometres of Victorian coastline between Torquay and Allansford, and features the Twelve Apostles, Bay of Islands and Bells Beach.
It’s one of the world’s largest war memorials and was built by returned World War I veterans in dedication to their fallen comrades. These days, it’s the road trip of a lifetime, which you can drive in part or in full. Whatever you decide, these Great Ocean Road trip ideas will set a benchmark and will leave you wanting more.
How to see the Great Ocean Road
Many Great Ocean Road tours and activities can be booked on websites like Viator, Adrenaline and Red Balloon, or when available on discount sites like Groupon.
Compare Great Ocean Road tours
Here are a handful of popular and unique Great Ocean Road tours and activities.
|Tour||Length||Includions||Price||Where to book|
|Day tour with scenic flight to Twelve Apostles||1.5 hours||Return transfers from Melbourne, day tour along Great Ocean Road, lunch, guide and 15-minute scenic flight||$560 pp||Viator|
|1-day surf tour||1 day||Pick-up in Melbourne or Torquay, equipment, two lessons, coaching, lunch, snacks and refreshments||$125 pp||RedBalloon|
|Scenic flight (2-person minimum)||1 hour||Scenic flight from Barwon Heads Airport to the Twelve Apostles, Bells Beach, Anglesea and more with commentary||$420 pp||Adrenaline|
|Hop-on, hop-off tour||Flexible||Pick-up from Melbourne, transport, hop on and off along the route, lunch, park entry fees, snacks||$139 pp||Tourstogo|
|2-day Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island||2 days||Pick-up from Melbourne, ferry ride, food, dorm stay at Bells Beach, park entry fees and guide||$265 pp (more to upgrade)||Sightseeing Tours Australia|
|Great Ocean Road – small group tour from Melbourne||14.5 hours||Full-day tour including lunch, koala-spotting, national park and sights, small coach transfers from Melbourne||$135 pp||Viator|
|Skydiving||1 hour||Qualified instruction, safety briefing and equipment||$279 pp||Adrenaline|
|4-day Twelve Apostles walk||4 days||Transfers from Melbourne, three nights’ accommodation, scenic flight over Twelve Apostles, all meals and snacks||$2,125 pp||Viator|
Great Ocean Road: Two-day guided tours
Overnight guided tours give you the time to see all that the Great Ocean Road has to offer without having to worry about driving yourself.
Some of the sites they often include are Lorne, Apollo Bay, Great Otway National Park, Beacon Point, Loch and Gorge, Torquay, Bells Beach, Anglesea, Aireys Inlet, Fairhaven Beach, Memorial Arch, Castle Cove, The Arch, London Bridge, The Grotto, Bay of Martyrs, Bay of Island and Port Campbell.
Private 2 Day Great Ocean Road
Ultimate 2 Day Great Ocean Road Tour
2 Day Great Ocean Road
Great Ocean Road self-drive tours
Great Ocean Road Self Drive Motorcycle Tour (MEL)
Great Ocean Road two day tours with Phillip Island tour
Be greedy. Pack your holiday to the brink and tack on a trip to another Victorian highlight, Phillip Island. These tours can help you get there.
Phillip Island and Great Ocean Road Package
City Tour, Phillip Island and Great Ocean Road Package
Private Combo City, Phillip Island and Great Ocean Road tours
Great Ocean Road one-day tour
Those strapped for time or looking to spend a day in Melbourne during their trip can maximise their time with a one-day tour of the Great Ocean Road instead of an overnight tour. These are some of the best.
Great Ocean Road 12 Apostles tour
Great Ocean Road Private Tour
Great Ocean Road Tour
Private 1-day Great Ocean Road tour
Private Great Ocean Road tour
One Day Great Ocean Road Tour
Unique one-day Great Ocean Road tours from Melbourne
Options such as helicopter rides, motorcycle tours, surf tours and flight tours will ensure you have a unique, memorable experience of the Great Ocean Road.
Private Fly Drive Great Ocean Road
1-day Great Ocean Road tour
Does your company belong in this list?
Does your company belong in this list?
Great Ocean Road Map
Top things to see along the Great Ocean Road
- Natural coastal attractions. The Great Ocean Road’s most famous attraction, the Twelve Apostles, is a group of limestone stacks spouting from the ocean. Tip: get here as early as you can to avoid the crowds. Another 15 minutes further along is must-see rock formation London Bridge, with the picturesque Loch Ard Gorge in between.
- Great Otway National Park. An area of rainforest and gorges dotted with waterfalls like the crashing Beauchamp Falls. There are plenty of opportunities for walking, camping, mountain biking and picnics, among other activities.
- Wildlife. The Great Ocean Road is full of koala-spotting hotspots, the most obvious being Kennett River. You’re also likely to come across wallabies, kangaroos, echidnas and all kinds of birds along the way.
- Coastal towns and villages. Ideal stopping points along the way or places to stay overnight. Look out for Apollo Bay for restaurants with a water view, historic fishing town Port Fairy, the popular holiday destination and arts community of Lorne, and Australia’s surf capital, Torquay.
- Surfing. Torquay is the capital of surf and Bells Beach hosts the Rip Curl Pro competition around Easter every year. You can also take a surfing lesson and visit the Australian National Surfing Museum.
- Food. The Great Ocean Road has its fair share of local produce and wineries. Being a coastal destination there is of course excellent seafood on offer. From markets to upmarket restaurants, taste locally grown fruits and don’t miss cheese and ice cream produced from the local dairy.
- Whale watching. A popular activity from May to September, there’s no shortage of lookout points along the Great Ocean Road.
- Walking. The Great Ocean Road’s 104 kilometres can be explored on short walks or day-long hikes. The adventurous can take on the whole route by foot in around a week by camping along the way. Tour operators can arrange your luggage transfer.
Top Great Ocean Road travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|23 Oct 2020||$1 wine tastings in the Hunter Valley||WIN****|
|21 Oct 2020||Northern Territory activities from $36 + and extra $10 off off with code||FDR****|
|21 Oct 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|20 Oct 2020||Extra 10% off Australia activities with code||RBF****|
|7 Oct 2020||$20 off nationwide rentals||FIN****|
More guides on Finder
Lorne hotels | Where to stay in the town of Lorne on the Great Ocean Road
Compare Lorne hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Apollo Bay accommodation | Where to stay in the Great Ocean Road town
Compare Apollo Bay hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Family getaways in Victoria for memories that’ll last a lifetime
From coastal tracks to national parks, river cruises to white water rafting, Victoria has it all, so why not make your next family holiday a local one?
Australians prefer local travel over road-tripping interstate
New Avis data shows that Aussies prefer to travel locally with most choosing road trips close to home.
TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Awards reveals favourite experiences around the world
Find out the top tours and activities that you can book now.
Romantic getaways: Great Ocean Road weekend guide | A couple of travel makers
A guide on when to go, what attractions to catch and your accommodation options along the Great Ocean Road, by a travelling couple that's been there and done that.
Western Australia road trips that showcase the best of the state
Adventurous and picturesque road trips around the state for memories that will last a lifetime.
10 Victoria road trips from Melbourne that are anything but ordinary
Searching for adventure outside of Melbourne? These 10 Victoria road trips will hit the spot – even if you only have a day or two to spare.
13 Queensland road trips that are anything but ordinary
Get out of the city with these 13 road trip itineraries that will take you to the beach, forest, countryside and outback.
Brisbane to Cairns road trip itineraries
Find your perfect Brisbane to Cairns road trip itinerary, whether you have 2, 3, or 7 days to spare.
Ask an Expert