Google’s Daydream View VR headset coming on 10 November
Google’s latest take on VR will be available in Australia next week.
As part of the launch event that also saw Google unveil the Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones, Google showed off its latest foray into VR with the Daydream View VR system. Daydream VR has been in the works at Google for some time now, but at the launch Google simply committed to an "early November" timeframe for availability of the low-cost Daydream View headset.
Today it has confirmed via the Google Blog that the Daydream VR will be available from 10 November 2016 in five countries, including Australia, through retail stores and online from Google. In Australia, the Daydream View will go on sale for $119 via Telstra, JB Hi-Fi and the online Google Store.
There’s a very slight markup on the Daydream View compared to the US price, where it will sell for US$79. At current exchange rates, and taking GST into account, that would suggest an asking price of $113 or so. That’s fairly decent compared to some markups on technology equipment sold in Australia.
While Daydream View won’t take on the heavyweights of the space such as the recently-released PlayStation VR, our reviewer saw a lot of potential in it when he had a hands-on test at Google’s event. Stay tuned for a full review in due course.
- Inkjet printer price analysis: Amazon Australia vs Australian retail
- Nintendo 3DS kids’ games price analysis: Amazon Australia vs Australian retailers
- Film camera price analysis: Amazon Australia vs Australian retail
- Antivirus and security software price analysis: Amazon Australia vs Australian retail
- Uninterruptible power supply price analysis: Amazon Australia vs Australian retail