Every language supported by Google Translate [Updated]
Google Translate has dropped a major update, so find out all the new languages featured.
Google Translate is one of the most incredible testaments to the power of technology. With just a few keystrokes, you can translate any phrase into a huge number of languages. With the latest update, that number has grown to 133. These new languages are spoken by a whopping 300 million people, so this update figures to be very impactful.
Why has it come along now? Well, these languages have been added to Google Translate via a new technology the company is calling "Zero-Shot Machine Translation". There aren't huge datasets of human translations for these languages, which is what Google uses to teach Translate more widely and traditionally-documented languages.
Zero-Shot Machine Translation will teach the model via monolingual text. This means it will be able to translate a language without ever actually seeing an example. Google warns that "while this technology is impressive, it isn't perfect," and states it will continue to work to improve it.
For more information on Google innovations, check out everything Google announced at Google I/O 2022.
Every language in the new Google Translate update
- Assamese, used by about 25 million people in Northeast India
- Aymara, used by about 2 million people in Bolivia, Chile and Peru
- Bambara, used by about 14 million people in Mali
- Bhojpuri, used by about 50 million people in northern India, Nepal and Fiji
- Dhivehi, used by about 300,000 people in the Maldives
- Dogri, used by about 3 million people in northern India
- Ewe, used by about 7 million people in Ghana and Togo
- Guarani, used by about 7 million people in Paraguay and Bolivia, Argentina and Brazil
- Ilocano, used by about 10 million people in northern Philippines
- Konkani, used by about 2 million people in Central India
- Krio, used by about 4 million people in Sierra Leone
- Kurdish (Sorani), used by about 8 million people, mostly in Iraq
- Lingala, used by about 45 million people in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Central African Republic, Angola and the Republic of South Sudan
- Luganda, used by about 20 million people in Uganda and Rwanda
- Maithili, used by about 34 million people in northern India
- Meiteilon (Manipuri), used by about 2 million people in Northeast India
- Mizo, used by about 830,000 people in Northeast India
- Oromo, used by about 37 million people in Ethiopia and Kenya
- Quechua, used by about 10 million people in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and surrounding countries
- Sanskrit, used by about 20,000 people in India
- Sepedi, used by about 14 million people in South Africa
- Tigrinya, used by about 8 million people in Eritrea and Ethiopia
- Tsonga, used by about 7 million people in Eswatini, Mozambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe
- Twi, used by about 11 million people in Ghana
Every language in Google Translate prior to the new update
Google Translate available languages
- Haitian Creole
- Kurdish (Kurmanji)
- Myanmar (Burmese)
- Odia (Oriya)
- Scots Gaelic
About Google Translate
Google Translate was first launched in 2006, initially relying on United Nations and European Parliament transcripts for linguistic data. It translates more than 100 billion words every day. The program's most recent update, in May 2020, added 5 new languages.
Google prides itself on the use of its software to break down barriers and connect communities, and hopes the latest update will extend these benefits to "those whose languages aren't represented in most technology."
Best deals on Google products
Google Translate is extremely well-integrated into Google's own hardware products, so if this new update excites you, grab a deal below.
56% off Google Pixel 2 at Mobileciti
Cop a major saving on this classic phone, with Google Assistant and water resistant casing.
27% off Google Nest Mini on Mobileciti
This mini smart speaker doesn't lack in functionality, with a high level of Google Translate integration and the ability to control your home with just your voice.
23% off Google Nest Audio on Mobileciti
Google Home speakers allow you to use Interpreter Mode to translate entire conversations. Grab a great saving on an excellent smart home device.
18% off Google Nest Hub Max at Mobileciti
The Nest Hub Max is the ultimate life assistant, making video calls a breeze, letting you check in on your home with Nest Cam and offering assignable reminders.
Amazon is slashing prices on digital media players from Google, Apple and more.Read more…
Google's got new Pixel 7 smartphones, the new Pixel Watch (finally!) and we even got a glimpse at Google's upcoming Pixel Tablet.Read more…
Need more info on the latest and greatest tech? Head over to Technology Finder.