Google's updated Pixel phone shows how far it can push software to provide a smooth smartphone experience, but it's ultimately a smartphone for the Google faithful.
- Great battery life
- Single lens works better than you might expect
- Android Pie runs smoothly
- Neatly integrates with Google services
- Single lens struggles against competitors
- Blue tint on OLED
- Active Edge only works to wake Google Assistant
Google continues its journey into what it sees as a "pure" Google phone, but is that enough to wow consumers against the rest of the 2018 premium phone pack?
Google continues its Pixel journey with the Google Pixel 3 XL, a premium smartphone that pushes Google's particular information mania to the hilt. Where once it tried to show other manufacturers how to make affordable Android flagships with its Nexus line, it's now firmly into the business of making premium-priced flagship phones.
- Three colour choices
- Still no headphone jack or microSD expansion
- Blue tint on OLED
- Single lens shoots very well with AI assist
- Top shot helps to capture action
- Digital zoom is better than most
- Snapdragon 845 runs a touch slower than the competition
- Android Pie gives the Pixel 3XL an edge for now
- Memory management on early software can be too aggressive
- Active Edge feels like wasted potential
- Battery life is solid
- Fast charging with supplied adaptor
- Pixel Stand adds wireless charging and extra features
- Google's new phone is impressive, but it has serious competition.
Pricing and availability
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google's newest big flagship
The Google Pixel 3 XL combines a clean Android interface with the smarts of Google in a handset clearly designed for Android lovers.
- The Google Pixel 3 XL is available outright through Google starting at $1,349
- Discounts can be found by comparing prices on the Google Pixel 3 XL from Australian retailers.
- You can also purchase the Pixel 3 XL on contract through Telstra, Vodafone or Optus.
The Google Pixel 3 XL costs at $1349 for a 64GB model and $1499 with 128GB of storage.
You can also purchase the Google Pixel 3 XL on contract through Telstra, Optus or Vodafone.
Google Pixel 3 XL specs
|Display size (inches)||6.3|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1440 x 2960|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||523|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,430|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12.2|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.8|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution||8|
|Front camera (2) aperture||f/1.8|
|Network category speed||Category 16|
Compare Google Pixel 3 XL plans
Latest Google Pixel 3 XL news
We help you find the best Vodafone phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best handsets available right now. Read more…
We hit the streets of Paris and Sydney to find the low light camera king, with surprising results. Read more…
The Huawei Mate 20 Pro beats out the competition as the best Android phone you can buy in Australia right now – but it's got plenty of competition. We've ranked the best Android phones money can buy Down Under. Read more…