Google's updated Pixel phone shows how far it can push software to provide a smooth smartphone experience, but it's ultimately a smartphone for the Google faithful.
- Great battery life
- Single lens works better than you might expect
- Android Pie runs smoothly
- Neatly integrates with Google services
- Single lens struggles against competitors
- Blue tint on OLED
- Active Edge only works to wake Google Assistant
Google continues its journey into what it sees as a "pure" Google phone, but is that enough to wow consumers against the rest of the 2018 premium phone pack?
Google continues its Pixel journey with the Google Pixel 3 XL, a premium smartphone that pushes Google's particular information mania to the hilt. Where once it tried to show other manufacturers how to make affordable Android flagships with its Nexus line, it's now firmly into the business of making premium-priced flagship phones.
- Three colour choices
- Still no headphone jack or microSD expansion
- Blue tint on OLED
- Single lens shoots very well with AI assist
- Top shot helps to capture action
- Digital zoom is better than most
- Snapdragon 845 runs a touch slower than the competition
- Android Pie gives the Pixel 3XL an edge for now
- Memory management on early software can be too aggressive
- Active Edge feels like wasted potential
- Battery life is solid
- Fast charging with supplied adaptor
- Pixel Stand adds wireless charging and extra features
- Google's new phone is impressive, but it has serious competition.
Pricing and availability
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google's newest big flagship
The Google Pixel 3 XL combines a clean Android interface with the smarts of Google in a handset clearly designed for Android lovers.
- The Google Pixel 3 XL is available outright through Google starting at $1,349
- Discounts can be found by comparing prices on the Google Pixel 3 XL from Australian retailers.
- You can also purchase the Pixel 3 XL on contract through Telstra, Vodafone or Optus.
The Google Pixel 3 XL costs at $1349 for a 64GB model and $1499 with 128GB of storage.
You can also purchase the Google Pixel 3 XL on contract through Telstra, Optus or Vodafone.
Google Pixel 3 XL specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||6.3 inches|
|Resolution||1440 x 2960|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||523|
|Rear camera megapixels||12.2MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/1.8|
|Front camera megapixels||8MP + 8MP|
|Front camera aperture size||f/2.2 + f/1.8|
|Dimensions||158mm x 76.7mm x 7.9mm|
|Network category speed||Category 16|
|Operating system||Android 9|
|External storage support||Up to N/A|
Compare Google Pixel 3 XL plans
Latest Google Pixel 3 XL news
The Moto One Vision from Motorola delivers solid processing and camera performance for a device that costs less than $500. Read more…
Google's upcoming Pixel 4 handset looks to ditch the single camera approach, while still delivering the pure Android experiences we've come to expect. Read more…
The Samsung Galaxy A70 boils down the premium features of its Galaxy S10 phones in a mostly pleasing and affordable way, and is highly recommended if you want a large-screen phone. Read more…