Google's supersized Pixel 2 XL impresses with swift performance, excellent battery life and a super-fast camera.
- Incredible single lens camera performance
- Great battery life
- Nippy app performance
- Water resistant
What needs improvement
- No microSD expansion
- Single lens is still photographically limiting
- No headphone jack
- Screen issues shouldn't happen at this price point
The Pixel 2 XL excels in essential photography and general app performance, although the screen could be improved and the overall design isn't that flashy.
Google has a long history of developing its "own" Android handsets, stretching back through the Nexus phones and tablets to the emergence of its more premium-styled and premium-priced Pixel devices.
The Google Pixel 2 XL is a Telstra-exclusive Android handset that sells itself on just how pure its Android vision is. Indeed, it's the most Google-centric phone in the entire Android world, and a fine premium device in its own right.
- Plain design
- Predictably lacks a headphone jack
- The best single-lens camera money can buy.
- Lens will limit your photographic possibilities.
- Smooth performance under Android Oreo or Android Pie.
- Blue tint on P-OLED screen is regrettable.
- Good all-day battery life.
- Wireless charging is surprisingly missing (and missed!)
- A great handset for Android purists
- Single lens camera and that blue-tint screen means it's still worth comparing.
Pricing and availability
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google's own take on the best of Android
The Google Pixel 2 XL brings the best of Android home, with guaranteed updates, a super-smart camera and more. It's available outright or on contract through Telstra.
- Google sells the Pixel 2 XL in Australia for $1339 with 64GB of onboard storage, or $1549 for 128GB.
- You can snap up a better deal by comparing prices on the Google Pixel 2 XL from Australian retailers.
- The Google Pixel 2 XL is also available on contract exclusively from Telstra.
Google Pixel 2 XL specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||6 inches|
|Resolution||1440 x 2880|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||538|
|Rear camera megapixels||12.2MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/1.8|
|Front camera megapixels||8MP|
|Front camera aperture size||f/2.4|
|Dimensions||157.9mm x 76.7mm x 7.9mm|
|Network category speed||Category 15|
|Operating system||Android 8|
|External storage support||Up to N/A|
Compare Google Pixel 2 XL plans
Latest Google Pixel 2 XL news
Google's upcoming Pixel 4 handset looks to ditch the single camera approach, while still delivering the pure Android experiences we've come to expect. Read more…
Google's Pixel 3a has amazing photography for a mid-range phone, but it's not its only selling point. Read our comprehensive review. Read more…
Google has snipped away exactly what it needed to on the Pixel 3a to bring it down in price while still retaining that great Pixel feel. Read more…