Google's supersized Pixel 2 XL impresses with swift performance, excellent battery life and a super-fast camera.
- Incredible single lens camera performance
- Great battery life
- Nippy app performance
- Water resistant
What needs improvement
- No microSD expansion
- Single lens is still photographically limiting
- No headphone jack
- Screen issues shouldn't happen at this price point
The Pixel 2 XL excels in essential photography and general app performance, although the screen could be improved and the overall design isn't that flashy.
Google has a long history of developing its "own" Android handsets, stretching back through the Nexus phones and tablets to the emergence of its more premium-styled and premium-priced Pixel devices.
The Google Pixel 2 XL is a Telstra-exclusive Android handset that sells itself on just how pure its Android vision is. Indeed, it's the most Google-centric phone in the entire Android world, and a fine premium device in its own right.
- Plain design
- Predictably lacks a headphone jack
- The best single-lens camera money can buy.
- Lens will limit your photographic possibilities.
- Smooth performance under Android Oreo or Android Pie.
- Blue tint on P-OLED screen is regrettable.
- Good all-day battery life.
- Wireless charging is surprisingly missing (and missed!)
- A great handset for Android purists
- Single lens camera and that blue-tint screen means it's still worth comparing.
Pricing and availability
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google's own take on the best of Android
The Google Pixel 2 XL brings the best of Android home, with guaranteed updates, a super-smart camera and more. It's available outright or on contract through Telstra.
- The Google Pixel 2 XL sells in Australia for $1339 with 64GB of onboard storage, or $1549 for 128GB.
- The Google Pixel 2 XL is also available on contract exclusively from Telstra.
Order Google Pixel 2 from Telstra from Telstra deals
|Display size (inches)||6|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2880 x 1440|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||538|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,520|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12.2|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.8|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.4|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 15|
Latest Google Pixel 2 XL news
Google has started rolling out its impressive Night Sight camera to owners of Pixel phones, enabling astonishingly good low-light shots from a single lens. Read more…
Google's smaller phone in the Pixel 3 family is more affordable and a rare example of a small and powerful handset. Read more…
Google's Pixel 3XL shows how far it can push software to provide a smooth smartphone experience, but it's ultimately a smartphone for the Google faithful. Read more…