Google's supersized Pixel 2 XL impresses with swift performance, excellent battery life and a super-fast camera.
- Incredible single lens camera performance
- Great battery life
- Nippy app performance
- Water resistant
What needs improvement
- No microSD expansion
- Single lens is still photographically limiting
- No headphone jack
- Screen issues shouldn't happen at this price point
The Pixel 2 XL excels in essential photography and general app performance, although the screen could be improved and the overall design isn't that flashy.
Google has a long history of developing its "own" Android handsets, stretching back through the Nexus phones and tablets to the emergence of its more premium-styled and premium-priced Pixel devices.
The Google Pixel 2 XL is a Telstra-exclusive Android handset that sells itself on just how pure its Android vision is. Indeed, it's the most Google-centric phone in the entire Android world, and a fine premium device in its own right.
- Plain design
- Predictably lacks a headphone jack
- The best single-lens camera money can buy.
- Lens will limit your photographic possibilities.
- Smooth performance under Android Oreo or Android Pie.
- Blue tint on P-OLED screen is regrettable.
- Good all-day battery life.
- Wireless charging is surprisingly missing (and missed!)
- A great handset for Android purists
- Single lens camera and that blue-tint screen means it's still worth comparing.
Pricing and availability
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google's own take on the best of Android
The Google Pixel 2 XL brings the best of Android home, with guaranteed updates, a super-smart camera and more. It's available outright or on contract through Telstra.
- Google sells the Pixel 2 XL in Australia for $1339 with 64GB of onboard storage, or $1549 for 128GB.
- You can snap up a better deal by comparing prices on the Google Pixel 2 XL from Australian retailers.
- The Google Pixel 2 XL is also available on contract exclusively from Telstra.
Google Pixel 2 XL specs
|Display size (inches)||6|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2880 x 1440|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||538|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,520|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12.2|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.8|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.4|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 15|
Compare Google Pixel 2 XL plans
Latest Google Pixel 2 XL news
We help you find the best Vodafone phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best handsets available right now. Read more…
We hit the streets of Paris and Sydney to find the low light camera king, with surprising results. Read more…
It's time to pit the flagship phones against each other to see who can deliver the most consistently pleasing low-light results. Read more…