Go Insurance travel insurance logo

Go Dental Tourism Insurance

Go Dental Tourism Insurance provides cover for those heading overseas to fix their smile

An increasing number of Australians are engaging in dental tourism, which involves saving money by travelling overseas to undergo elective dental treatment. Unfortunately, standard travel insurance policies only cover standard dental treatment, not procedures that are elective or cosmetic, so these dental tourists are forced to face the risk of travelling unprotected.

finder.com.au does not currently have access to this travel insurance brand. You may wish to compare options available on the travel insurance homepage.

But now, thanks to Go Insurance, optional dental tourism insurance can be added to your Go Insurance travel policy. Offering policies underwritten by Lloyd’s of London, Go Insurance provides a wide range of cover options and optional extras for Australian travellers.Compare Go Insurance Travel Insurance Policies

What is it?

Under ordinary travel insurance policies, emergency overseas medical costs are covered as standard, but elective and cosmetic procedures are excluded from cover. For dental tourists, this means that there is no cover offered for complications arising from their elective dental treatments.

The Go Dental Tourism Insurance extension is the first travel insurance in Australia to offer optional extra dental cover under its travel insurance policy. This allows a greater number of Aussie travellers to find the insurance cover that meets their unique needs and budget.

What is covered?

The Go Dental Tourism policy extension provides cover for the following:

  • Trip Cancellation. If unforeseen circumstances – for example the death of your dental practitioner or major damage at the dental facility – force you to cancel or reschedule your trip, any costs you incur as a result will be covered.
  • Emergency Overseas Dental Treatment. If there are complications with your procedure and you require emergency treatment, this optional extra will cover the cost of those overseas treatments.
  • Additional Transport and Accommodation. If complications with your procedure mean you need to stay longer than originally planned, Go Insurance will cover the additional transport and accommodation costs you incur until you are able to return home.
  • Return Travel and Accommodation for Remedial Dental Treatment. If your procedure is unsuccessful and you need remedial treatment, cover is provided for the cost you incur to return overseas and receive the necessary treatment.
BenefitSum InsuredExcess
Trip Cancellation$10,000Yes
Additional expenses whilst overseasYes
- Emergency overseas dental treatment$25,000
- Transport and accommodation$10,000
Return travel and accommodation for remedial dental treatment$5,000Yes

What isn’t covered?

The Go Dental Tourism extension will not provide cover if your claim arises from:

  • Any exclusions that apply as part of the standard travel insurance policy
  • Costs incurred for the dental treatment being performed
  • Costs incurred for remedial treatment that is not medically necessary
  • Costs incurred as a result of your failure to follow pre-operative or post-operative care instructions from your dental practitioner
  • Any dental or medical treatment received in Australia for more than two months after your dental treatment has occurred
  • Treatment performed at a dental surgery that is not properly regulated, or by a dental practitioner who is not properly registered
  • Costs that result from the negligence of the dental practitioner
  • Remedial treatment costs where a pre-operative assessment did not find that a successful result was likely to be achieved by the procedure
  • You receiving the procedure against the advice of a dental practitioner
  • The cost of secondary or supplementary treatment following the eligible procedure.

What are the policies this additional cover can be added to?

The Go Dental Tourism extra cover option can be added to the Go Basic and Go Plus travel insurance policies. The Go Plus policy offers higher limits and sub-limits for many benefits. These policies provide cover for:

  • Cancellation / curtailment. Where unexpected circumstances force you to cancel or cut short your trip, the cancellation fees or lost deposits you incur will be covered by your policy.
  • Overseas medical expenses. Both policies provide up to $10 million of cover for overseas medical expenses including emergency repatriation, additional travel and accommodation, emergency dental treatment and funeral expenses. The Go Plus policy also provides a hospital cash benefit, a death/personal accident benefit and a mugging benefit.
  • Property. Both policies provide cover when your luggage and personal belongings are lost, stolen or damaged. This includes cover for personal property, personal money, and the purchase of emergency clothing and toiletries.
  • Personal liability. These policies provide up to $5 million of cover when you are legally liable for causing property damage or injury to a third party.

The Go Plus policy also provides cover for:

  • Disruption. This benefit applies when your pre-booked transportation is delayed or hijacked. Cover is included for disruption to your scheduled travel plans, resulting costs incurred to arrive in time for special events, the insolvency of the travel services provider and domestic pets.
  • Legal expenses. If you suffer a bodily injury or die during your trip the legal expenses incurred to claim compensation or damages will be covered. Overseas car hire excess and car hire return are also covered.

General policy exclusions

Your Go Basic or Go Plus travel insurance claim will not be paid if:

  • It arises from a pre-existing medical condition that is not automatically covered
  • It arises from suicide, mental illness or depression
  • It is caused by the effects of alcohol or drugs, unless those drugs are medically prescribed
  • It is for medical or dental treatment received in Australia
  • It arises from your wilful exposure to needless danger
  • It is for legal liability resulting from the use of firearms, mechanically propelled vehicles or animals
  • It is for loss or damage to luggage and personal property if:
  • you cannot provide proof of ownership
  • you leave your articles behind or leave them unattended in a public place
  • you fail to take reasonable care
  • you don’t report the loss, theft or damage to the relevant authorities
  • your valuables or electronic equipment are checked in as luggage.

Other optional covers

Go Insurance policyholders can also take advantage of the following optional benefits:

  • Snow. This provides cover for snow sports equipment, snow sports equipment hire, ski passes and lessons, and piste closure/avalanche.
  • Golf. This benefit protects you against loss, theft or damage to your own and hired equipment, as well as unused green fees when you have to cancel or curtail your trip.
  • Water. This option provides financial protection when injury, illness or inclement weather mean you are unable to use your pre-booked boat hire. Loss, theft and breakage to your own water sports equipment and hired equipment are also covered, as are cancelled, lost or stolen water sports passes, lessons and excursions.
  • Business. Designed for business travellers, this option covers loss, theft or damage to your business equipment and theft of business money. It also covers the cost to replace or re-create business documents and send a replacement employee to complete your trip when injury, illness or death strike.


Add Go Dental Tourism Insurance to your policy

If you’re planning a trip overseas to get an elective dental procedure, consider the Go Dental Tourism Insurance. It could provide the cover you need to safeguard your finances when the unexpected occurs.

Apply for Go Dental Tourism Insurance

Richard Laycock

Richard is the Insurance Editor at finder, and has been wrangling insurance Product Disclosure Statements for the last 4 years. When he’s not helping Aussies make sense of the fine print, he can be found testing the quality of Aperol Spritzes in his new found home of New York. Richard studied Journalism at Macquarie University and The Missouri School of Journalism, and has a Tier 1 certification in General Advice for Life Insurance. He has also been published in CSO Australia and Dynamic Business.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site