GMT money transfer and exchanges
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
What do GMT Money Transfer exchange rates compare?
GMT Money Transfer regularly updates its exchange rates throughout the day to reflect changing market conditions. By cutting out the middleman in foreign exchange transactions and using modern technology during the transfer process, GMT claims it is able to save on operating costs and therefore, pass those savings on to its customers.
Usually offering rates better than you can find from the banks, GMT allows customers to view its current exchange rates when you click on ‘Go to site’. You can see a snapshot below.
How much does it cost to transfer money with GMT Money Transfer?
The fees that apply to your GMT Money Transfer transaction will vary depending on where you are sending your money, how much money you send and the transfer method you select. For example, the following fees apply to transfers to India:
- Transfer amounts of $0 to $2,499 attract a $5 fee
- Transfer amounts of $2,500 or above to not attract any transfer fees
Transfers to Pakistan, meanwhile, do not attract any fees but transfers to the Philippines will attract a fee of either $5 (if you send up to $500) or $10 (when you send $501 or above). A flat transfer fee of $10 applies when you send funds to Bangladesh, Nepal or Sri Lanka, while other charges may be imposed by overseas banks or if you amend a transaction.
What's the minimum transfer amount and available countries?
There is no specified minimum transfer limit listed on the GMT Money Transfer and Exchange website. Transfers of more than $25,000 are allowed if you contact GMT Money Transfer directly.
GMT offers support for the following currencies:
What types of transfers can you carry out with GMT Money Transfer?
There are two types of transfers that can be carried out with GMT:
- Bank account deposits. The funds you send will usually arrive in your recipient’s overseas account within 1-2 business days.
- Cash pickup. The funds you send will typically be available for collection from an agent location within 10 minutes.
Transfers can be lodged online through the GMT Money Transfer website. If you ever need assistance with a transfer, GMT offers phone, fax, email and live chat customer support.Back to top
What's the registration and transfer process?
Before you can send money overseas with GMT Money Transfer you will need to fill out an application form. You can apply through the GMT website or submit your completed application form in person, by email or by fax.
In order to send a transfer you will need to provide:
- Transaction details. This includes the amount you wish to send and the currency you will be sending.
- Sender details. Provide your name, address, contact details, photo ID, occupation and the purpose of your transfer.
- Beneficiary details. Provide the name, address, contact details, occupation and bank account details (if required) of your recipient.
- Payment details. Choose whether you would like to make a bank deposit or for your recipient to receive their funds in cash. GMT has more than 1,000 affiliated offices worldwide.
What are the pros and cons of using a GMT Money Transfer?
- Fee-free. Send more than $2,500 to an Indian bank account and you will not have to pay any transfer.
- Multiple currencies. GMT Money Transfer offers support for more than 45 currencies.
- Customer support. GMT Money Transfer can be contacted via phone, email, fax and live chat if you ever require help with a transaction.
- Fee-free only to India. Fee-free transfers are only available to India - not to other countries.
What other products and services does GMT Money Transfer offer?
GMT Money Transfer concentrates its activities solely on handling international money transfers and foreign exchange services.
Questions asked by users
More guides on Finder
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
iRemit international money transfers review
Make simple and small transfers to the Philippines through the IREMITX app.
Alternatives to WeBull in Australia
Australians can’t access WeBull, so here are six affordable alternatives if you want to trade US stocks at low prices.
Robinhood vs eToro
Both eToro and Robinhood offer $0 brokerage stock trading, but eToro has more options for active traders. We compare.
Aave cryptocurrency: How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the AAVE cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
HDMI 2.1 explained: TV and gaming with PS5 and Xbox Series X
Here's everything you need to know about HDMI 2.1
Pepper Money is an Aussie non-bank lender that offers a vast range of personal loans and home loans to customers Australia-wide. Find out more here.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 4: Make your savings and investments work harder for you
This is the final week of our 4-week financial fitness challenge, where we help you understand your savings, super and investments.
Luno cryptocurrency exchange – review
Buy bitcoin and Ethereum with selected fiat currencies through Luno’s easy-to-use platform.
Free promissory note templates (Australia)
Lend money to friends or family simply and securely using promissory notes.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Special offer: $40 off when you transfer more than $250+ with code AUFIND40, conditions apply.
Azimo sends money directly to a bank account or over 280,000 cash pick-up points. It also has fast transfers to 50+ countries.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
TorFX sends money overseas in 30+ currencies, with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Send guarantees to match any competitor’s exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
WorldFirst sends 60+ currencies at competitive rates with no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert