You have six options with GMHBA Extras
GMHBA Extras Only health insurance gives you access to a wide variety of common and not-so-common treatments and offers up to 75% off of your treatment costs.
Top 3 features
- Good for people who want access to a wide variety of unique treatments and services.
- Good for Victoria residents who can visit a GMHBA dental or eye clinic to receive additional benefits on those services.
- Beware if you want cover for Chinese Medicine. None of GMHBA's policies cover it.
Speak to a health insurance advisor
What you'll get:
- 100% free expert advice
- Pay the same as going direct
- Instant advice if you call 1300 594 882
What GMHBA Extras Only policies are available?
GMHBA offers six Extras Only cover options.
- Basic Extras Set Benefits. This basic policy covers general dental, optical, a range of therapies and a few extra benefits like travel vaccinations and melanoma surveillance photography. Most services have a set benefit meaning you'll get a specific dollar amount back for most treatments no matter how much the treatment costs.
- Basic Extras 55%. This is exactly the same as Basic Extras Set Benefits. However, instead of a specific dollar amount, you'll get 55% of your costs back regardless of what your provider charges.
- Mid Extras Set Benefits. This adds to the basic policies by including major dental, orthodontics ambulance cover and a wide variety of health aids like blood glucose monitor. You'll get a set benefit amount back for most treatments no matter how much the provider charges. .
- Mid Extras 65%. This covers exactly the same services as Mid Extras Set Benefits except you get 65% of your treatment costs back for most services.
- Top Extras Set Benefits. This is largely the same as the Mid Extras policies but with a few additional treatments like access to a weight management program and antenatal/postnatal classes. It also offers higher set benefit amounts.
- Top Extras 75%. This is exactly the same as Top Extras Set Benefits but offering 75% back on most treatments instead of a set benefit amount.
|Basic Extras Set Benefits / Basic Extras 55%||Mid Extras Set Benefits / Mid Extras 65%||Top Extras Set Benefits / Top Extras 75%|
|Chiro & Osteo|
|Physio & Hydrotherapy|
|Blood glucose monitor|
|Sleep apnoea monitor|
|Orthotic appliances (foot)|
|Weight management program|
|Flouride dietary supplement|
|Cancer Council Australia UV Products|
|Melanoma Surveillance Photography|
|Nicotine replacement patches|
Other benefits of GMHBA Extras Cover
GMHBA members receive a few extra benefits including:
- No gap dental. GMHBA runs its own dental practices in the Victorian towns of Geelong and Portland. If you visit those dentists, your policy will cover 100% of general dental expenses.
- Extra eye benefits. GMHBA runs its own eye clinics in the Geelong and Ballarat regions of Victoria. If you use one of these providers, you're optical benefit will increase. The amount of increase depends on the policy you choose.
How do the costs work?
Your policy will refund a set amount per covered treatment or a percentage of the treatment cost. Each time you receive a refund on a particular treatment, that amount gets deducted from your yearly benefit limit for that treatment.
Waiting periods and limitations
Your waiting period for each treatment is as follows:
- None. Ambulance subscription and ambulance transport.
- 2 months. Antenatal/postnatal classes, audiology, dietetics, eye therapy, speech therapy, nursing, psychology, remedial massage, acupuncture, weight management programs, pharmacy, melanoma surveillance photography, quit smoking programs, nicotine replacement patch.
- 12 months. Hearing aids, blood glucose monitor, extremity pump, nebuliser pump, pressure garments, non-surgical prosthesis, sleep apnoea monitor, tens monitor.
Your extras policy won't cover you for the following
- Ambulance rides for those in states that provide state-based ambulance cover (Queensland and Tasmania).
- Ambulance rides for pensioners and cardholders with access to ambulance schemes.
- Treatments received by a provider that GMHBA does not recognise.
- Orthopaedic and orthotic appliances that aren't approved by GMHBA and don't have a doctor's letter of recommendation.
How to make a claim
There are a few ways to make an extras claim with GMHBA:
- On the spot. By swiping your membership card when paying for your treatment you can get an immediate refund.
- Online. You can through the GMHBA online member portal.
- At a GMHBA branch. You can take your itemised receipt to your nearest GMHBA branch.
- Through the post. You can download a claim form from the GMHBA website, complete it and send it back to GMHBA with your itemised receipt.
- At a Medicare office. You can also lodge your claim at your nearest Medicare branch and it will then be sent to GMHBA for processing.