Get hospital and extras cover in one simple package with GMHBA
GMHBA offers combined cover by letting you choose your own hospital and extras cover to provide flexible benefits to suit your price and health needs. GMHBA also offers some cost-effective pre-made packages designed for specific needs.
GMHBA offers direct packages in the form of combined cover for families and fit lifestyles as well as general packages through Budget Direct.
By getting both hospital and extras cover with GMHBA, whether by building your own combined cover or by taking advantage of a cost-effective pre-made option, you can start accessing a range of benefits.
Compare GMHBA's policy range and get covered
The combined cover options
- Build your own. Choose from Bronze, Silver and Gold hospital and extras plans, and combine them as needed.
- Pre-made family packages. For slightly higher premiums than building your own cover, you can choose a Starter, Everyday or Premium family package with plenty of added benefits for children.
- Pre-made fitness packages. These packages let you get more back for sports-related extras and get covered for the injuries more likely to occur while playing sports. It also lets you earn rewards points which you can redeem for things like Rebel sports gift cards, Fitbits, sporting equipment and much more.
- Pre-made general cover. Through Budget Direct, GMHBA also offers affordable pre-made general cover options which can let you access some exclusive GMHBA rewards.
The benefits of the package options
At its core, each option delivers the respective benefits of GMHBA hospital and extras cover. By selecting a pre-made package, your cover is adjusted to include a range of additional benefits while removing a few in order to keep them affordable.
What the family packages change
All the family cover packages deliver useful benefits tailored for families with children.
- No excess for kids. There is no excess payable when your child is admitted to hospital under any of the plans.
- 100% back on preventative dental and optical. This is for you and the kids, expanding your extras cover to deliver 100% back on healthy teeth, prescription glasses and contact lenses.
Each level of cover also has the following defining features:
Starter family cover with Bronze level hospital and extras
The core Bronze hospital policy only covers public hospitals, but when you sign up for a family package you can get private hospital admissions for select procedures such as cancer treatments as well as the following services that kids are more likely to need:
- Accidental injuries
- Tonsil and adenoid removal
The extras cover is also expanded and geared towards families by adding the following features:
- Ambulance transport and subscription cover
- Exercise physiology
- Postnatal and antenatal therapies
- Eye and speech therapy
- Natural therapies
To keep costs down, benefits that you are less likely to need, such as occupational therapy, are removed.
Everyday family cover with Silver level hospital and extras
This level doesn’t include any pregnancy cover and might be a good choice if you don’t plan on having any more kids and want to start focusing more on living healthily.
The hospital cover with this package adds dental implant surgery to the list of services covered, and also adds more benefits to the extras. With a mid-level family package, you also get cover for weight loss benefits and swimming lessons.
The Premium family package with gold hospital and extras
All-around, high-level benefits for the whole family come with this package. With a family package, the 24-month benefit limitation periods (a secondary waiting period where you can’t claim full benefits) are removed for the following:
- Gastric banding
- Psychiatric treatments
With extras cover, you can also get reimbursed for swimming lessons. Costs are kept near-equivalent by removing some health appliance extras, like prostheses, orthopaedics and pressure garments.
What the Fit Packages offer
If you’re an active person, these packages can add a range of value to your health cover with all three options:
- Fit Entry. Adds private hospital cover for knee arthroscopy, and knee, shoulder and ankle reconstruction as well as surgery for a fractured collarbone, wrist or finger to your cover.
- Fit Standard. Adds the same features as Fit Entry, as well as expanded major dental cover in case of mouth injuries, such as cover for dental veneers and other restorative work.
- Fit Top. Includes the Gold level pregnancy benefits and medical gap cover, and covers same day treatments, surgically implanted prostheses and more.
The exclusive Fit Package rewards can also add a lot of value to your cover by letting you earn rewards for doing the things you love. Earn set amounts of points for the following activities:
- Taking out or renewing a gym or leisure centre membership
- Participating in triathlons or ironman courses
- Participating in organised bike rides
- Competing in marathons or other running races, or walking events
- Being part of swim events
- Registering for Rogaine events
- Having training sessions using fitness-tracking devices
- Being on a GP managed care plan, completing a health check at age 45, enrolling in a QUIT smoking course, participating in a chronic disease management program, simply renewing your Fit Package membership and more
You can redeem these points for a wide range of sporting goods, including the following:
- Gift cards
- Treadmills and other gym equipment
- Sporting goods, from footballs to tennis racquet packs
- Sports headphones and devices like iPods
- Personal GPS devices
- Infrared massagers, heart monitors and many others
Are there any additional benefits?
As long as you have hospital cover with GMHBA, you can also get Connect Rewards points. These accumulate as a set rate over time, depending on how many years of continuous membership you have. You can use these points to cover other medical and health costs in both the hospital and extras parts of your policy.
For hospital visits, you can use your points to help cover any gap costs which may emerge or certain other expenses. Where a service is covered under your extras policy and you have reached the annual limits, you can use your Connect points to pay for additional services above these limits.
Certain plans also carry specific features worth considering. For example, the Starter Level family plan also includes cover for ambulance transport as well as reimbursement for the cost of a state ambulance subscription. However, if you build your own Bronze hospital plus Bronze extras policy, you wouldn’t have this kind of cover. Reimbursement for a state ambulance subscription can be an exceptionally cost-effective way of getting this important cover type and is not available with all health funds.
How much do the combined packages cost?
Compared to the cost of simply combining your choice of hospital and extras, both the Family and Fit packages cost only a few dollars more per week, while delivering a range of additional benefits.
If you know you want the added features of one of the Family packages, or know you’ll be making full use of the Fit rewards program, it may be well worth adding these policies to your shortlist and taking a look at the cover in detail.