GIO Small Business Insurance Review
It’s part of the Suncorp Network and is tailored to smaller businesses: some reasons worth getting GIO Small Business Insurance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
<article class="luna-card luna-card--border">
<h4 class="luna-sectionTitle" style="text-align: center;">Our Verdict</h4>
<li>It's good for small and medium-sized businesses — that's who GIO business insurance policies are tailored towards.</li>
<li>It's part of the Suncorp Network and has a strong commitment to the local community, supporting organisations such as Fire and Rescue NSW, New South Wales Rugby League, Wheelchair Sports NSW and Youngcare.</li>
<li>GIO business insurance has had some poor feedback on customer review websites we looked at in recent months and years.</li>
<sub>Review by our insurance writer <a href="https://www.finder.com.au/author/gary.hunter" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Gary Hunter</a></sub>
Receive a quote for GIO Small Business Insurance
Inclusions and protection from GIO Small Business Insurance
Some of the businesses which can benefit from the GIO Small Business Insurance policy, include:
- Cafes and restaurants
- Coffee lounges
- Electrical goods retailers
- Film photo processors
- Fruit and veg shops
- Handbag retailers
- Milk bars
- Natural food shops
- Pet shops
- Photographic studios
- Show repairers
- Travel agents
If your sole trader, small business or medium business isn’t listed here, don’t worry, because GIO Insurance covers many more Australian businesses across many more industries and to find out more about insurance support for your small business, you can contact GIO to discuss your needs.
GIO Small Business Insurance includes cover for:
- Fire and other damage. Covers your business for physical loss or damage to your property from eligible insured events such as fire, lightning and explosion. This includes cover for the loss or damage to buildings, business contents, stock or specified items.
- Business interruption. Insures you against a reduced income in your business as the result of damage to your business because of fire and other damage, burglary, money loss, glass damage, goods in transit loss or general property damage.
- Burglary insurance. Covers your business for the loss or damage to contents, stock and specified items as the result of burglary.
- Insured money. Covers you for the loss or damage of business money as the result of burglary or fire, or if the money is in transit, or being held at your private residence.
- Glass insurance. Provides cover for damage to glass on your property, or for which you are legally responsible.
- Public and product liability. Covers your legal liability for compensation in case of personal injury to another person or damage to property as the result of your business products or services.
- Goods in transit. Ensures that goods you use, sell or buy in your business are protected when they are in transit. You can cover goods in transit for Specified Perils, or Accidental Damage.
- Fraud and dishonesty. Covers your business in case of theft of your business goods or money by employees.
- Breakdown of equipment. Covers the breakdown of insured equipment and any direct loss or damage to property as a result.
- General property insurance. Covers you for the loss or damage to business property which you would usually take with you in the course of your business. General property covers you wherever you are in the world.
- Tax audit cover. Provides cover for professional fees such as accountant fees if your business is audited, reviewed or investigated by the Australian Tax Office.
- Personal accident and illness. Covers the person named on the policy for eligible losses as the result of accident or injury. You can choose cover for accident only, or for accident and illness. The benefit is paid as a lump sum amount or as a weekly benefit.
With small business insurance from GIO you are also protected by:
- An additional 20% allowance for catastrophe protection for your business buildings. This extra benefit may be used to cover any additional costs incurred in rebuilding that may be attributed to increases in prices and services of the business as a direct result of the catastrophe.
- An automatic increase of 35% for seasonal increases on stock. Applicants have the option to nominate different seasonal increase periods or higher percentage increases in stock if required. Premium charges may apply.
- Cover for theft on external parts of your building. This may include plant, plumbing or wiring services that are not part of the building but are externally attached to the building structure. This excludes external parts that are connected by powerpoint.
- Cover for employees’ personal effects. This includes tools and personal effects that have been lost or damaged due to an insured event if they are building contents.
- Monthly premium payments. The cost of paying per month is $2.75 per month, including GST. This is bundled with the monthly payment.
Apply for Small Business Insurance with GIO
GIO Insurance offers tailored small business insurance options for companies and sole traders operating around Australia and understand that while many of the risks remain the same in business, some are unique to your industry or enterprise. Therefore, to find out more about how you can protect all the hard work you’ve put into your small business and make sure it is around to grow into the future, contact GIO to discuss more small business insurance options.
More guides on Finder
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
Does home insurance cover hearing aids?
Want hearing aid insurance? Home insurance is the answer.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
How to start a delivery business
The skills, equipment and legal documents needed to start a delivery business.
How to start a daycare business
Nurture your dream of starting a daycare company with this step-by-step guide.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
How to start a corporate merchandising business
From business loans to perfecting your sales expertise, helpful tips for launching your business.
How to start a gardening business in Australia
Here are all the things you need to know for a successful gardening business.
How to start an arborist business
Are you ready to take the plunge and open your own arborist business? Find out how to do it here.
How to start a fridge repair business
What you need to know about starting a fridge repair business in Australia.
Ask an Expert