GIO Professional Indemnity Insurance
Looking for professional indemnity cover? GIO may have the solution you're after.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
GIO professional indemnity insurance provides cover for claims arising from allegations that your business services have caused a financial loss to your clients. Since1 July 2020, GIO no longer sells new standalone professional indemnity insurance policies but existing policies will continue to be covered.
How GIO Professional Indemnity Insurance protects your business
The GIO Professional Indemnity Insurance policy covers a range of professional businesses including:
- Day surgery
- Dental clinic
- Employment agency
- Management consultant
- Natural therapist
- Taxation consultant
There are also many more professions covered by GIO insurance. The Professional Indemnity Insurance policy covers you for:
- Legal consultation. Covers the cost of up to two hours of legal consultation in relation to a professional indemnity claim against your business. The cost of the legal advice is then paid directly by the insurer, not by you.
- Cover for associated costs. GIO also includes cover for court attendance costs related to your claim. This includes cover for employees who are paid by your company and who are required to appear in court as a witness or in connection with the claim. The compensation is paid up to $250 per day, to a maximum of $10,000 for each claim, for all persons involved.
- Cover for contractors. No matter how big or small, or what type of business you are running, you can also be covered by GIO Professional Indemnity Insurance if you work on a contract basis. This also includes cover for the acts and services of contractors you employ in your business.
- Choose your premium frequency. You can pay your GIO insurance premium monthly, to fit into your business budget.
- Taking your cover to a new business. You are also able to be covered for the conduct and professional services of any former subsidiary business you have operated, or services you have provided. If you acquire or create a new subsidiary it will be covered from the date of acquisition, for thirty days.
- Participating in a joint venture. If a professional indemnity claim is made against a business in which you are partnered, your GIO cover provides insurance for your proportion of the liability only.
- Public relations expenses. If you are required to spend money on PR in response to adverse publicity for your business, you can notify GIO of this occurrence and claim the cost of public relations expenses. You must pay an excess of $1,000 before you can claim for an adverse public event.
- Run off cover. If your business merges or is acquired by another business while your GIO Professional Indemnity Insurance is in place, the policy will remain in force until the policy end date.
- Cover for your spouse. Your spouse can also be covered for their liability in the business if they have the legal status of your spouse and they have an ownership or interest in the business.
- Reporting period. You have 30 days after the expiry of the policy in which you are still able to make a claim for professional indemnity insurance, provided that the event you are claiming for occurred before the policy expired.
Professional Indemnity Cover
The types of claims which GIO covers under their Professional Indemnity Insurance include:
- Contractual liability: Claims related to damages that are stated in contractual agreement between insured and another party.
- Intellectual property: Claims related to copyright, trademark or patent infringement that may arise out of the companies operation. This is provided that the error or omission by the insured is unintentional and is committed in the conduct of their professional services.
- Liability for acts, errors or omissions by contractors or consultants: Claims related to incidents that have occurred through the course of employment of contract workers or consultants by the insured.
- Libel or slander: Provides cover for claims against libel or slander that have occurred through the professional’s provision of business. The insured must have not intended to commit the libel or slander with express malice.
Additional options to consider under the GIO Professional Indemnity Policy
- Compensation for court appearance: Provides compensation for costs that are incurred through court appearance if necessary for any principal or employee to attend court as a witness in connection to a claim. Conditions and cover limits apply.
- Dishonesty of employees: Provides cover for claims made as a result from any dishonest, fraudulent, criminal or malicious act or omission by any Employee occurring or committed in connection with the professional services of the insured.
- Extended reporting period: Policyholder given ability to purchase extended reporting period of 365 following the end of the Policy Period if no other substantial cover has been purchased.
- Former subsidiary: Insuring clause is extended to cover the conduct of the Professional services by former subsidiary’s of the policyholder.
- Inquiry costs: GIO will indemnify the insured for inquiry costs. Conditions apply.
- Joint venture liability: Provides cover for claimant’s costs and expenses in respect of claims made against the insured resulting from participation in joint ventures.
- Legal consultation: Policyholder entitled up to two hours of legal advice from the “Legal Adviser” specified in the policy schedule on any matters related to the risks under the policy.
- Lost documents: Provides cover for expenses incurred following loss or damage to documents occurring in connection with the professional services.
- Newly acquired subsidiary: Provides cover for claims related to conduct of new subsidiary.
- Public relations expenses: Compensation provided for public relations expenses in respect of adverse publicity event.
- Run off cover: Policy remains in force until the expiry of the policy period following winding up process in respect of the policyholder.
- Spousal liability: Provides cover for claims made against the insured’s spouse.
- Third day reporting period: Provides cover for claims for up to thirty days following the expiry of the policy period.
It is worth noting that the cover features listed above are only very general descriptions of the cover that provided. Each cover feature will have it’s own conditions for when a claim will and will not be paid. It is critical that anyone considering taking out cover takes the time to clearly review the conditions of their cover.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
How to buy SPDR S-and-amp;P World ex Australia Hedged Fund units
Steps to owning and managing SPDR S and P World ex Australian (Hedged) Fund ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $120 off Nintendo Switch on Amazon Prime Day
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Ask an Expert