Heading on vacation soon? GIO Holiday Travel Insurance provides a wealth of cover benefits to give you peace of mind during your trip
GIO Insurance has been operating in Australia since 1927 and provides travel, car, home, boat, caravan, commercial and public liability insurance. GIO is able to leverage that experience and understanding of the Australian market and create a generous and inclusive travel insurance policy, which protects you with 24 hour emergency medical and travel assistance, cover for overseas medical and dental expenses, unlimited cover in case of cancellations, and cover for the loss of your luggage.
What Does the GIO Holiday Travel Insurance Policy Cover?
With GIO Holiday Travel Insurance, you are working with a friendly, reliable and Australian based insurance company. You can also structure your policy as single cover, or take out a family policy, where both enjoy the benefits of cover for:
- Cancelled travel and accommodation. If you have to cancel your plans to travel because of unforeseen circumstances outside of your control, your GIO travel insurance can reimburse you for cancellation fees and lost payments made, when you cannot recover the amounts from the providers.
- Overseas medical and dental expenses. If you become ill or injured while travelling overseas, or you need an emergency dental procedure you have unlimited cover for these medical costs.
- Additional transport and accommodation. You can claim for transport and accommodation expenses you incur if you are not able to complete your journey as planned. This may be because of illness, injury or disease suffered by you or your travelling companion. You can claim for an unlimited value of reasonable eligible expenses.
- Hospital cash allowance. If you are hospitalised for more than 48 hours straight, GIO travel insurance will pay you $100 for each day you remain in hospital to cover incidental expenses, up to a maximum of $12,000.
- Transport delays. You can be reimbursed for accommodation and meal expenses if your transport provider is delayed for more than 12 hours.
- Luggage and travel documents. Cover for the loss, damage or theft of your luggage, personal effects and clothing, for their repair or replacements.
- Accidental death. A benefit of $25,000 per person covered by the policy, up to a total of $50,000, will be paid to your estate if you die as the result of an injury you suffer while travelling.
- Personal liability cover. You have up to $5 million of personal liability cover in case you are held legally responsible for the injury or death of a person you are not related to or travelling with. This benefit is also to be used for any related legal expenses.
- Disability benefit. Pays a benefit if you suffer an accidental injury while travelling which leaves you permanently disabled. A $10,000 benefit will be paid for the total loss of sight in one or both eyes, or the permanent and total loss of the use of one or more limbs.
- Resumption of journey costs. If you have had to return to Australia because of the death or illness of a relative, GIO Insurance will cover the costs to help you pick up your travel where you left off, within 12 months of your return to Australia, up to the value of $2,000.
- Cancellation of special event. If you are unable to attend a special event while travelling because of circumstances outside of your control, your insurance will reimburse you the amount you paid for the tickets, as long as the tickets have not been used.
- Luggage delays. If your luggage is delayed for more than 12 hours, you can be paid a travel insurance benefit to help you purchase essential personal effects, up to the value of $250 for each 12 hour period, to a total of $500 per claim.
- Rental vehicle excess. Your travel insurance can pay the amount of the excess on your hire agreement if your rental car is damaged. Or GIO will pay the value of the repairs if this is less than the excess amount, up to a total of $4,000.
GIO Holiday Travel Insurance Plan Assistance
As a GIO customer, you have access to a 24 hour emergency medical and travel assistance phone line wherever you are in the world. GIO Assistance can help you with:
- Medical assistance. The GIO team has a number of doctors and nurses on hand to help you find medical facilities near you, and to continually monitor your care.
- Paying hospital bills. GIO can pay an approved claim for hospital and medical bills directly.
- Evacuation and repatriation. One call and GIO will coordinate an evacuation or repatriation as required.
- Lost or stolen travel documents. If your credit cards are lost or stolen, or you lose your passport or travel documents, GIO who exactly who to contact to get them cancelled and reissued immediately for you.
- Scheduling. If you need to reschedule your travel arrangements because of an emergency, call GIO and they will make all the arrangements and organise all claim requirements.
- Emergency assistance. If you need emergency assistance for any reason you can contact the GIO emergency line.
What are the General Exclusions of GIO Holiday Travel Insurance Policy?
All insurance policies have exclusions and limitations, and there are limits to the events and circumstances GIO Holiday Travel Insurance can cover you for. For example, you cannot make a claim with GIO insurance for:
- pre-existing medical condition which you or your travelling companion suffer from, unless it is disclosed and approved upon application with GIO
- any elective medical, dental, surgical or cosmetic procedures, or complications arising from these
- a loss, theft or damage to property which occurs where you have failed to take reasonable care to prevent it
- any law breaking committed by you or anyone insured on your policy
- any psychiatric, mental, nervous, emotional, personality or behavioural disorders, for example, phobias, stress, anxiety or depression.
- physical, mental or emotional exhaustion
- intentional self harm, suicide or attempted suicide
- the use of drugs or alcohol
- AIDS, HIV or their associated complications
- any sexually transmitted diseases, infections or viruses
- pregnancy, childbirth, associated complications or the health of a child under one month old
- motorcycle riding, unless you hire the bike, it’s engine is less than 200cc and you have a motorcycle license
- professional sports or training for professional sports such as hunting, racing, football, flying, aerial activities, rodeo riding, sailing, rock climbing, diving, off-piste skiing or ice sports
- events which occur in a country not specified on your insurance policy
- events which occur while doing paid work unless the work is for your normal employer in Australia and was organised before the journey began
- war, hostilities, revolt, rebellion, revolution
- radioactivity or nuclear fuel, material or waste.
How to Make a Claim with GIO Holiday Travel Insurance
If your travel plans do go awry in some way and you have to make a claim, you can rest assured that GIO makes the process fast and easy, no matter where you are in the world. To make a claim on your GIO travel insurance, simply:
- Call GIO Insurance, or you can contact them via fax or email if that is easier for you.
- Provide all information and documentation relating to the claim, such as medical certificates, doctors reports, police reports, proof of ownership receipts, travelling tickets or luggage tags.
- Do not take any action or ask anyone but your insurer to take any action on your behalf.
- Your eligible claim will be accepted within 10 working days of you providing the claim form and documentation.
There are a lot of reasons to stay at home and avoid the inherent dangers of travelling. Luckily there are a lot more reasons to get out there and explore the world, your own country and make new memories. In doing everything you can to protect yourself on your journey, carefully compare travel insurance policies and companies before you leave.Back to top