Navigate your way around Phuket and see all the best attractions with ease on budget-friendly prices with these transport options.
The Thai island of Phuket is a popular destination for Australians and holidaymakers seeking sun and relaxation. From most centralised resorts, you’ll find it easy to wander to one of the main beaches such as Patong, Kata and Karon. Choose something more upscale and you may even find yourself lounging on your own private stretch of sand – accessed direct from your hotel, naturally.
Generally, public transportation is not commonly used but is the cheapest option to get from one of the main beaches to Phuket Town and vice versa.
Cars aren’t typically hired either as it’s often more expensive than other forms of transport like taxis and tuk tuks which can be hired from tourist shops and resorts. These can take you to all of the major attractions on the island in less time than public transport and still be affordable.
Motorbike taxis are ideal for nearby destinations. There’s also an option to rent a motorbike and head to sights on your own.
Image: Tourism Thailand
Phuket public transport
- Types of transport: Local open-air buses are referred to as song taews and are painted bright blue. They run regularly from 7am–6pm between the main beach areas like Patong to Phuket Town. The destinations are written on the outside of the bus in English and they have no stops so you can catch them anywhere along their route. Your best bet to catch one is at the tourist police box across from Bangla Road in Patong and on Ranong Road across from Thai Airways in Phuket Town.
- Paying for transport: You can pay for the bus in cash on boarding.
- Getting to and from the airport: No public buses run from Phuket Airport. The Airport Bus is infrequent but has a fixed, reliable schedule and can take you to Phuket Town for THB90–100. Taxis or mini buses cost THB100–200 while a private taxi can cost up to THB500.
- Best apps for getting around: Currently there are no apps for public transportation in Phuket. The Grab app is similar to Uber and can be used to get cheap, private transportation.
Phuket car hire rental companies
Taxis and Uber
- Taxi: From the airport there is one limousine service with a fixed rate. Other taxis are metered and can also be found around town. THB100 is charged for taxis going to or from the airport. Metered taxis are difficult to flag down on the road so it is best to pre-book. Most taxis ask for a fixed rate though these prices can be bargained down. Tuk tuks, an open-air vehicle that sits passengers in the back on benches, are common and a cheap option for transportation. Always agree on the price before you leave for both fixed price taxis and tuk tuks.
- Uber: Uber is currently not available in Phuket but a similar app called Grab is used widely in Asia. It includes both car and motorbike taxis.
Phuket car hire deals
Popular Car Hire coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|29 Oct 2018||$20 off first ride||did****|
|13 Nov 2018||10% off USA car hire + 30% off Legoland tickets||BCD****|
|24 Sep 2018||$30 off on car rental||SAV****|
|24 Oct 2018||Up to 20% off base rate||********|
Avoid the hassle of finding a taxi or booking a mini bus at the airport by booking an airport transfer in advance.