Discover our best transport tips to get around Cambodia.
Cambodia has a wide variety of transport options, from private cars for hire in major cities to boats crossing lakes.
Phnom Penh and Siem Reap are the two destinations where you can fly into the country.
The Cambodian local transportation system is operated mainly by private companies and unorganised local vendors. There is a wide private bus network for travelling from one city to another while tuktuks (three-wheeled motorised vehicles) are an easy and affordable way to travel within cities and towns.
Towns are generally walkable however main attractions such as Angkor Wat and the Khmer Rouge Killing Fields are outside of cities and require you to drive, tour or hire a driver to get to. The Angkor Wat complex itself is not walkable if you wish to see it all, so again, it’s best to book transport to get around. Similarly, the Killing Fields encompass numerous sites and require suitable transport to get from location to location.
Cambodia public transport
Types of transport:
Bus: Public buses don’t operate in Cambodian cities except for the recently started city bus service in Phnom Penh.
- Tuktuk: Tuktuks are widely used and the most popular transport option in Cambodia. You can hire them for your private use for the whole day. They are an excellent means to hop from one attraction to another without burning a hole in your pocket.
- Motodup: A cheaper alternative to tuktuks is a motodup, a small motorcycle taxi ideal for short journeys in cities and towns. As with tuktuks, don’t forget to negotiate and agree to a fixed fare before taking the ride.
- Train: Recently the Cambodian government started a passenger train service from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville. The trains are modern and can be a good alternative to buses, although they run much less frequently.
- Boat: Just a few years ago boats were an important means of transport in Cambodia, but now, with the improvement and construction of several major roads, the almost 2,000 kilometres of navigable waterways are no longer the most efficient way to get around. However, if you are looking for more than just a fast transport option you might consider taking one of the many luxury cruises on the Mekong River.
- Flights: For a fast and comfortable commute between the major cities of Cambodia, there is no better option than to fly. These are several domestic flights linking Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Sihanoukville and Battambang.
Paying for transport: There is no official travel card in Cambodia. Although debit and credit cards are accepted on some bus services and for car rentals, cash is the preferred payment method for most services. Both Cambodian riel and US dollars are accepted in Cambodia.
Getting to and from the airport: You can easily get taxis, tuktuks and motodups to and from the airport in major cities like Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. Public air-conditioned buses run from Phnom Penh airport to the city. They cost less than $1 and are the most inexpensive means of transfer.
Best apps for getting around: There is no official transport app for getting around Cambodia.
Cambodia car rental companies
If you want to explore by yourself, you can rent a car from hire services like Avis and DriveNow at Phnom Penh and Siem Reap airports.
Taxis and Uber
Taxis: In major cities you can hail a taxi on the street or book in advance by phone. In smaller towns, tuktuks are a workable alternative to taxis.
Uber: There is no Uber in Cambodia but you can use a similar on-demand service called PassApp. Along with taxis, you can also book tuktuks using this app.
Cambodia car hire deals
Popular Avis coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|15 Nov 2018||Up to 15% off USA car hire + US$150 Universal Orlando Resort savings||AWD****|
|22 Oct 2018||Fifth day free SUV car hire||TPP****|
|10 Oct 2018||Earn double Qantas points on 4+ days car hire||MPP****|
|2 Oct 2018||7-day Australia car hire for the price of 5 days||TPP****|
|2 Oct 2018||Double upgrade car hire||UPD****|
|5 Dec 2018||$1 car hire per day in Northern Territory||********|
If you prefer a private vehicle for airport transfer, you can book a car in advance for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap airports.
From Phnom Penh
Private Phnom Penh departure transfer
Phnom Penh airport transfer
Private Phnom Penh arrival transfer
From Siem Reap
Private arrival transfer from Siem Reap Airport
Siem Reap private airport transfer
Private departure transfer to Siem Reap Airport